Seven & Ten News (SCA)

When you’re upgrading from an incredibly outdated set/graphics/playout systems to a state of the art HD look with full animated graphics and everything, it would probably be a little surprising if there wasn’t the odd glitch or two on Night 1.

I’m sure the bugs will be ironed out over the coming days/weeks as you said.

I think the weather is now fully animated too? Not too sure if they’re using WeatherScape XT (the majority of Australian broadcasters have leant towards this system in recent years) or something else, but the presentation definitely looks a lot more fluid than the old look! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a couple of observations…

As good as that backdrop looks, why are they using the national backdrop for a local news service? Why aren’t they using a Tassie backdrop?

That spelling mistake on the first opener in the headline is embarrassing and should never have happened.

The fact they are using the headline graphics from prior to the current ones 7 uses, shows how long this relaunch has been in the works.

I’m really glad they’ve adopted these headline graphics. They are much better than the ones 7 has moved to.

Finally, has Jo always talked soooooo slow?.. It’s rather frustrating. Reminds me of Jane Bunn, and not in a good way.

PS was there no closer??

I am not home to Catch the bulletin but was wondering if the seven sourced content was in native HD. Hopefully other HD programming comes through soon.

I wondered that, considering the OTS only appeared halfway through the bulletin I was wondering if another backdrop might appear in a night or two, possibly even backdrop changing with the stories also.

Yeah, they make me cringe all the time, used to be every so often on the weekend bulletins but seem to be a few more all the time now!

She was definitely a bit slower tonight, hopefully it was just because of everything going on and I think there were some issues with the autocue at times as well.

Yeah, no closer tonight, straight into Home and Away. Think with the issues they may have had a little longer with the ad breaks to get things sorted.

7 Likes

But it’s not purely just a local news service. They cover state, national and world news in the bulletin. What skyline do you suggest they use? Hobart, Launceston or Devonport? They’re guaranteed to tick off the population of an area if people don’t see their locale represented.

I don’t see the use of that backdrop as being any different to when the mainland state based bulletins all had world maps behind the presenters before skylines became the big thing. That backdrop certainly beats the blood red, stylised skyscraper abomination Prime is using. What relevance that has to news geared towards people in mostly rural areas has always had me scratching my head.

9 Likes

Technically, so do the all of the metropolitan bulletins… Yet they use the backdrop of their respective capital cities that they serve.

Well, Hobart is the capital city of the state, and where almost half of all Tasmanians live. Using it would fit in-line with the other metropolitan bulletins that cover their own capital cities. But the bulletin covers the entire state, not just the capital and surrounding areas.

They could use Launceston as that’s where the studio is based. But that might alienate viewers in Hobart (where most of the population is).

Honestly, using the globe backdrop is just easier than bothering to choose a city and then pay money to establish and maintain a live camera feed. Or even paying a photographer with the right equipment to take a high-enough quality still shot.

1 Like

Does only have about 15 mins of news to cover and about 40 mins to do it in… Always been a problem with a 60 min bulletin but I guess filling 30 mins with a different program would be even harder/more pointless.

Yes and their bulletins are mostly geared towards people living in that one major city not three or four cities across a state.

3 Likes

The Tasmania bulletin really is one of a kind. Statewide (with no capital city bias) local, national and world service. There is no ‘metro backdrop custom’ that suits it

8 Likes

Effectively the other 7 bulletins only have to cover their city. 7 Melbourne only has to cater for Melbourne, it’s up to Prime to choose what they want to do for the regional areas, same with Sydney etc… Queensland is different but they do their 7 Local News for the different regions. It’s the same logic when in the cricket or other sports they never mention Tasmania - the broadcast is by Channel Nine and they say “viewers in Victoria and NSW will now leave us for the news”, Tasmania also goes to the news but because we’re not a Channel Nine, they don’t need to worry about them.

The other thing about the population splits, other states have about 90% of the state population in one city, not 50%. Favour one side and put 50% off side.

What would be great is half a dozen or so shots which could be used for the backdrops on different nights, that way it could cover say Hobart, Launceston, Devonport (the shot they use on their existing promo and Facebook cover page looks great with the Spirit), Burnie and then say Strahan and Wineglass Bay or similar.

1 Like

This is something GWN7 needs to do for their opener background, as it still features Bunbury exclusively, which wouldn’t even make up 1/5th of their audience.

1 Like

why do they do sport from Hobart? Wouldn’t it be cheaper for them to do it all from one spot?

They only started after Rob Fairs left a couple of years ago, now it’s shared from either Launceston or Hobart. Either Tom Cooper in Hobart or Tom Johnson in Launceston.

1 Like

Same reason most regional bulletins don’t have city backdrops, they don’t just serve one city.

2 Likes

Since long term sports reader Rob Fairs left in Sept 2012, the sport chair has kinda been a revolving door, don’t think they’ve an adequate replacement (or they have moved on). There’s been presenters based in Launceston (Michael Maney, Ken Saville, Rick Fontyn, Chris Mitchell, currently Tom Johnson) and Hobart (Chris Rowbottom, Katelyn Barry, currently Tom Cooper). I’m certain that’s not an exhaustive list either!

1 Like

Wow, didn’t realise it had been so long. Definitely a pretty good list there, there have been a few and they have certainly covered both ends of the state with the duties. Mainly Hobart after they moved studios from Argyle Street to Campbell Street with the SCA radio stations a few years back.

This is why the weather photo was created, ‘here’s how things looked today in Devonport’. You don’t think people would be complaining they are pretending they are somewhere they aren’t if it were a backdrop?

Everyone is Tassie know SC in in Lonny, it’s clearly not a turn off.

1 Like

What does NBN use? SC Tas is not a ‘local’ news service, but a composite bulletin. The same service at other metro bulletins - yes they have a wider geography than Melbourne, but in reality that’s a nominal difference.

They were still predominantly based up north up until Mitchell left, I can remember Rowbottom reporting/presenting from Hobart but no one else. Since then, the revolving door has only sped up!
I tend to try and avoid the news these days (60 mins of news after half a day of news is a bit much for me) but when I have seen it, it appears much closer to a 50/50 either end split.

1 Like

Everything is fantastic about it, the only thing that would be better is weather map graphics like Seven but it’s still a big improvement from before.