Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Wide shot of old set from tonight’s bulletin.

12 Likes

Video of tonight’s closer for the final time from the old set:

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m not really a fan of it either TBH.

IMO, the best remix of the Seven News theme was probably the 1999-2004 version which I think survived on Southern Cross Nightly News (even keeping that name) until the Late 2009 relaunch. But at the same time, I certainly wouldn’t suggest using nearly 20 year old theme music on a TV news bulletin in 2018.

Any truth to the rumours that the Southern Cross News relaunch is so big that there’ll be live sites for people to watch the new look bulletin in Hobart and Launceston tomorrow night?

Only joking, of course! :wink:

1 Like

So this is officially the oldest set in Australia correct?

It should be put in a museum.

5 Likes

Murph seems to have other ideas!!

:joy::joy:

10 Likes

A wide-shot of Studio A for the final time:

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: Murph’s been reading the forum I think!

10 Likes

Great video at the end, really glad they did a proper send off of it all and even my wife just commented about seeing what it really looks like with the wide shots rather than what we see on TV. I even pointed out the little heater and how the desk looks like compared to when it’s actually on air.

So great to see some of the familiar faces including many who have gone further like Tim Lester featuring several times (with and without the mo) and Nathan Templeton and seeing Murph from all through the era. Loved the inclusion of old network idents throughout it too and the 9News logo (sure to create confusion for those who don’t see the TNT with it).

9 Likes

I managed to watch this now that I’m home. What a ripper of a closer! Glad they did a long one with so much gold. +1 respect for SC Tas!

9 Likes

Seeing the comments and the likes and shares on Facebook I think they’ve done a brilliant job with that closer and have really brought back memories for people and if you’re going to do a big change, they’ve done a great job at positioning the viewers to go with them for it.
Think you can also tell just how happy and proud the presenters and staff are too, good to see that they do care so much about their jobs and their work and it’s not just their job.

9 Likes

Brilliant tribute package. Great to see some pride in the station’s history.

3 Likes

Another shot of the old studio from the other side (with the red light backdrop):

Control room:

4 Likes

Yep! SC certainly knew how to send the old studio off that’s for sure! I personally really loved the song choice of John Farnham’s “Age of Reason” playing to the flashback tribute closer. It was also a nice touch to show the previous on-air presentation packages with both the news and idents from the eras.

Another thing I found great was seeing previous presenters such as Ray James, Peter Gilligan, Dianne Massey, Steve Titmus, Rob Fairs, Kaye Wilkinson (RIP), Judy Benson, Nick Duigan and Kim Millar, amongst others in the tribute. All very well done and massive credit to the team involved to set the stage for the huge relaunch tonight!

4 Likes

I reckon that old theme will finally be retired now. I’m fully expecting them to start using the current Seven News theme from tonight. They have actually been using the current theme on their promos for quite some time now which I found rather odd to start with.

5 Likes

Yeah, that was a great choice and it has been one they’ve used for several of their promos or tributes to things over the years. Good to hear it in full.

1 Like

I expect a replica of the current 7 news graphics. The major hint being the backdrop in the new set teaser being identical to the current 7 news national backdrop.

4 Likes

Why are they using that national backdrop? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

2 Likes

I haven’t followed a lot of this in years but I’ll have a stab in the dark here. Do state based 7 news use the national backdrop or local graphic/image, could be why if they also use national. But more so they cover world news and may want to appear that way since I read about them wanting to appear as state based, not north or south. Could be a cost thing too especially if this is rolled out to other regional news studios

No. They use backdrops of each respective city that the news is broadcast into; at least for the five major markets that Seven is broadcast into i.e. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth. The only time a national backdrop is used is for national news bulletins broadcast from the Martin Place headquarters which these days are just the Early News, Morning News & 5PM news on weekends :grinning:

Good to see Southern Cross News reflect on the history of their old set/studio before an exciting new era begins tonight.

Wasn’t John Farnham’s “Age Of Reason” used in a Seven Network-wide promotional campaign for their news in the Early 2000s?

1 Like