Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Also used for the coverage of the 2013 Federal Election:

5 Likes

I’m glad they have a studio camera that moves! Haven’t seen that for a long time in Lonny.

Having said all that, TNT has a long history of high quality TV and their bulletin is still leagues ahead of most of WIN’s offerings.

The team does well with ancient equipment!

3 Likes

Very nice indeed - I wish nine had done the same for CTC Canberra, BTV Ballarat, CBN Orange and TNQ Townsville which all turned 55 last year.

Some are quick to judge, considering in this shot it’s for the most part in darkness. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A nice local backdrop would look nice wouldn’t it? :wink:

#changeiscoming

4 Likes

This Tuesday?

1 Like

Depends which local unless it changes regularly! Add Launceston where the news is from and Hobart gets up in arms and add Hobart and then Launceston will think that TNT9 - their local station as they call themselves have sold themselves out and bowed down to the southerners! You may take our news, but you’ll never take our freedom!

I reckon, that was the date posted, it’s an odd night as I think usually changes happen on a Sunday night but they might be usually network presentation changes rather than the news changes. It’s a long weekend this weekend here so Tuesday fits in with after that then. I’ve got the recordings ready to go anyway however.

1 Like

55 isn’t such a memorable birthday. 60 is. 50 is. 55 - not so much. :wink:

1 Like

Hobart has a live camera feed so that would be a good option. And Hobart is the capital of the state so in all fairness that’s what it should be.

2 Likes

There were plenty of complaints when they changed from showing a random photo or piece of footage from across the state to that webcam a few years ago with it being labelled Hobart-centric. That’s one of the reasons why WIN News struggles statewide, it’s still seen as a Hobart bulletin and Southern Cross is still seen as their own for those in the north and not really cared about by those in the south (unless they put a backdrop of Launceston in and then you’ll see some fun).
Launceston v Hobart, Devonport v Burnie, Melbourne v Sydney or Perth v the rest of Australia. Nobody knows why, nobody knows how to fix and nobody knows how long they’ll go for but they’ll probably rage for all eternity.

4 Likes

But if there really was an issue that serious, why is Hobart in the title-card? wouldn’t they opt for something else out of curiosity.

1 Like

That’s more of a subtle thing that the average viewer wouldn’t even really notice. It’ll be interesting to see what they do and if they do a Hobart backdrop would be interesting, especially since more often than not it’s from Launceston!

2 Likes

Yes, over the past couple of weeks rehearsals have taken place. New studio will be launched come 6pm Tuesday.

7 Likes

Looks like Hobart for the backdrop there? either that or a test pattern would be cool!

1 Like

Here’s a liftout from yesterday’s local paper with the new studio revealed.

Not the best quality shot here, but it’s interesting to note that they had a new studio and set concept as far back as 2007 (note: the old Tiger logo is present on it) which is only now becoming a reality.

Picture right inset: Director of news Grant Wilson in new studio with the concept.

15 Likes

Hmmmm doesn’t look too bad (for a regional set) although it looks really small.

I really wonder what the 4K plasmas were used for initially.

Far out though, we could potentially see GWN and Southern Cross get better sets than Prime 7 or even the metro O&O stations (cough Perth cough).

1 Like

Also interesting to read and unsurprisingly, that the old set (which of course was bought second-hand in the mid-1990s from Bendigo) has in recent years had to be held together with gaffer tape in places as it has degraded so much over the decades. :joy:

7 Likes

Its for the control room, as per the image of the control room above.

2 Likes

Correct. Also, the Hobart newsroom will eventually have a replica of the Launnie studio installed, so live crosses can be more streamlined, match visually, and allow the news to be broadcast from Hobart if necessary.

Yes.

2 Likes

Goes to show how little investment these bulletins get.

1 Like

Possibly also a case of if it ain’t broke too. With Southern Cross News smashing the ratings and when some viewers are put off massively by presenter changes, font changes, colour changes etc… you’d be hesitant to change things too much or too regularly to avoid alienating viewers. Although it does make it more boring for us!

2 Likes