Seven & Ten News (SCA)

I wondered or just a Melbourne Cup function with Jo attending that in Hobart.

I wonder if it had an impact on the late breaking news aspect and how it was handled though by not being in the usual studio with all the usual bits and pieces everywhere.

Still ironic that the keyed backdrop used in Hobart is better than the physical set backdrop at their headquarters.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Would have nothing to do with the work on the new set. Jo would have been at a function in Hobart for the Melbourne Cup like she’s done for several years now. In this instance, they just do the bulletin live out of their Hobart studios instead (sport and weather would continue to be done out of the Launceston studios as per usual on these occasions).

Edit: Some caps:

7 Likes

9.30pm Breaking News update:

6 Likes

Missed your post; late reply.

They are currently still at Watchorn. No move to new premises till it’s all ready to launch from early next year is what I’ve previously been told.

2 Likes

So they’re upgrading to HD, plus a new set, only to move premises? Why not build the new premises already upgraded?

Also, it’s now being bumped to next year? Previous estimates on this forum gave Nov-Dec.

Not moving from Watchorn Street.
Upgrade happening at current premises.
New look January 2018.

3 Likes

Is a little bit of retro part of their rebrand perhaps? :joy::joy:

God that backdrop really is dreadful. It isn’t just YT quality, compare it yourself to the bulletin from Tues 7 November with the keyed backdrop.

5 Likes

To be fair, it was a replica of the Seven set at the time. Here’s Chris Bath in 1997…

4 Likes

I wonder if someone who has the technical ability could record the full newshour on GTS/BKN and post it on YouTube? I’ve never seen the cross between Adelaide’s 7 News and the local bulletin. Would be really interested to see how it plays out.

2 Likes

Unless either a local from Spencer Gulf/Broken hill or any of us travelling to the region record this from TV, there’s a less chance of sharing it, since most of us can at least record Metropolitan and Regional QLD feeds from anywhere in AU. But from what I remember from @SydneyCityTV, GTS/BKN plays an old Seven News update opener as its transition to their local news.

1 Like

I always thought it was a replica of the Ten Eyewitness News set from 1992:

6 Likes

Yeah, I’d be hoping for a local to record it - or someone in northern Adelaide with a big aerial.

1 Like

Fair point, it looks closer to Ten, and SCN did have a Ten look in Victoria in those days. Come to think of it, I think I heard they shipped the Bendigo set to Lonny when they axed news in Victoria. This screenshot is from the final SCN news bulletin, set looks very familiar!

2 Likes

Hi all. I live in the area and the cross over is very abrupt. After weather finishes Jane and John do there light and fluffy sign off before it abruptly cuts to the 7 news title card with the old theme music. 9/10 times the first couple of secs of Today Tonight is shown. Then the bulletin starts. Before start of weather on 7 News we get a pre-recorded preview to the local news which features Fraser sitting on set with an OTS tv on his left with vision from stories. SC News bulletin usually finishes in time to catch Rosanna walking off set in final seconds of Today Tonight.

Also should be noted that since Fraiser has taken over they have introduced a weather presenter. Presenter presents a pre recorded weather report using chroma key like set for bulletin.

2 Likes

Yes, the plans to upgrade in the new premises then to move there from Watchorn once completed.

What? Not what I’ve been told. They were selling Watchorn to move to newer premises…

Yes it’s the same set I believe.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the run-down. It’s as clunky as I expected! Any chance you could record it and upload? I have a feeling it will change next year, so would be great to have at least one fully recorded newshour for the archives…

Such a shame that they can’t try requesting for Seven Adelaide to pre-record each night a separate sign-off that leads in to the local news, like Nine used to do sometimes for WIN. Thank Amelia for the weather, then sign off goodnight and say local news is up next.

1 Like

:smile:

4 Likes