Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Am hoping this means that remaining news production in Canberra will be shifted to Tasmania so that they can take advantage of these new facilities (would mainly be of benefit to SA bulletin, noodle updates not so much).

7 Likes

I would be very surprised if this was actually as good as Nine’s new sets. A regional news set that might be even better than its Capital city counterparts.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if this includes an update to HD.

3 Likes

And if that coincides with SC Tas going native HD on the rest its content - where available from Seven (apparently EVERYTHING is upscaled at the moment).

6 Likes

Excellent news.
If they are going HD this will make them the first regional network to provide a HD news service (not including 9 as they are metro)

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve heard on good authority that all going to plan with Install, training, rehearsal etc, we will see the launch of the brand new set and graphics in just under a few months from now. :slightly_smiling_face:

There were a few unforeseen technical issues which is why it’s taken much longer than first thought apparently.

As I understand it’s planned to be all HD by then.

Yes, as it stands most of the content is currently upscaled on the Southern Cross HD channel due to issues with Seven themselves apparently which is disappointing. Hopefully resolved soon.

More will be revealed soon. :wink:

9 Likes

Are these upgrades happening at Watchorn Street or a new location?

Watchorn St.

Have they decided not to move? I can’t find any record of the property actually being sold and I would seem silly to make such an investment in a premesis that they’re not going to stay in.

Would love to see this new look shared across SC News Tasmania and the SC News SA bulletin too.

Localized opens, graphics, music and social media channels could all be a shared look for both SC stations - and considering both SC stations are 7 affiliates they could tie in a little to a 7 look (red & blue)

Then the SC News SA keyed set could essentially be plates of the Tasmanian set shot and keyed in.

If the SC News Tasmania look is decent - it makes sense roll it out to the SA broadcast too.

Are there any other SC noodle updates that coulee get this look?

3 Likes

Hopefully this will happen if the SA bulletin, is moved to Tasmania so that they can take advantage of the upgrades. Can’t see anything beyond graphics being updated (if at all) if SA stays in Canberra.

Darwin and Central are the only two Seven-affiliated noodle updates. They would likely keep TDT updates as-is to avoid confusion with TNT.

Given Southern Cross has earmarked the CTC studios in Canberra for demolition - I would imagine all SC7 news production will be relocated to Launceston. The remaining SC9 Canberra staff will probably be shipped off to a shed in the paddock next to Mix106/Hit104.

Yes, this is just my guess before I get jumped on, but Southern Cross has NO track record of investment without a cost-saving implication.

Moving GST/BKN News to Launceston could reduce the number of presenters required - by having the Tassie presenters read SA as well.

Bit of a no-brainer to move TDT9 to Launceston and there’s no reason DTD/TND noodle updates wouldn’t go there too.

1 Like

It would definitely be all or none.
I agree there will be cost savings in doing so - aside from being able to save staff, it means they don’t need to run separate backup staff for Tasmania and Canberra (as more presenters means more people to cover shifts when required), only 1 set of gear to operate/maintain, only 1 studio facility to operate/maintain. Plus there’s not much reason to keep the bulletins in Canberra - all that remains are for areas well away from Canberra anyway. The only reason to stay in Canberra would be because it would be easier to get/retain staff, but I hardly think that would be a deal breaker, nor would they have too much trouble getting people to move to Launceston anyway.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expect SCA to have Jo read the SA news, her domain is Tasmania. Also, Tas bulletin runs 6-7pm AEST, while SA bulletin runs in place of TT Adelaide (shame) 6:30-7pm local time (7-7:30pm AEST), immediately after.

Edit: timezone corrections, thanks @NQCQTV2!

2 Likes

But the SA bulletin is pre-recorded in the afternoon, so it wouldn’t matter

6:30-7pm in SA is always 7pm-7:30pm Tasmania time, not 6-6:30

2 Likes

GTS/BKN news is famously pre-recorded, so it doesn’t matter what time the news is on in Lonny, Hobart or the moon. However as you point out, GTS/BKN could be read live from Launceston immediately after the Tas bulletin.

What do you mean Jo’s “domain is Tasmania”? You don’t think Jo can read words written in plain English about another state? Doesn’t SC Tas News contain stories from all over the world?

Channel Ten had the Perth news read out of Sydney for 8 years - so I honestly don’t understand your arguments here.

3 Likes

Yes, but not by the Sydney presenters. I have said before that I fully support shifting all news to Tasmania, but I can’t see them getting Jo to read the SA news, even if live immediately after Tas news. It would likely be easier logistically and easier on Jo to keep presenters separate.

Side question, when in the day is the SA bulletin pre-recorded and would it leave them enough time to record on the new Tas set before prep for the Tas bulletin commences?

That being said… Nine manage their readers to do how many regions in QLD each night?

The Tas bulletin is an hourlong, live broadcast composite for Tasmania only, while the SA bulletin is a half-hour fully local market bulletin for Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill only.

Meanwhile all Nine Regional bulletins are hourlong statewide, live broadcast composites with pre-recorded local windows.

If the SA bulletin had a similar format to Tasmania and was actually broadcasting to the same state, then perhaps it could be done Nine-style, but the two bulletins are too different.