Seven & Ten News (SCA)

well done CTC!

I have a fondness for Capital from the early 90s (never saw much of it before then).

Always hoped it would come here to Northern NSW (I remember reading reports from around 1994 that Charles Curran was looking to buy NRTV), but obviously never happened.

2 Likes

Saw a news update a few breaks ago on SC (7) Hobart and they’d tacked on the end what was basically an ad for the local newspaper, presented by someone who I assume works for the paper talking about what will be in it tomorrow. Wow. So not good.
Earlier in the evening I saw more of the awful looking retro-style SC News service. I thought WIN News were alone in such bad, antiquated presentation & hoped it was generally a thing of the past.
SC News might look slightly worse (yuck!) but at least it’s a composite bulletin (& this evening it had a cross to a 7News reporter in Sydney), so as far as content goes it is superior to WIN’s local only + TEN Eyewitness News offering, but oh for a visual refresh (new set, graphics, etc.).
(I haven’t seen Prime7’s offerings for years so can’t compare with those.)

PS: I hope I’m not repeating what’s already been said (much).

2 Likes

Didn’t realise they still had the crosses to The Mercury. The North ditched those years ago but used to have a cross to The Examiner in Launceston. So there must be two different news updates recorded, one for the north and one for the south.

As for live crosses, there’s one of these at least every night, usually to a Seven reporter somewhere and quite often one to a Southern Cross reporter at a news story somewhere. Nowhere near as many on WIN News.

1 Like

Sorry if I ruin the illusion but the seven crosses are not live crosses. They are prerecorded. You can tell if you look carefully they are recorded with a bit of padding at the front where the reported is nodding their head but on occasion they start talking before the news anchor finishes introducing them. You also notice there is never any interaction between studio and them, they will often say thanks Jo or Rachel to give the illussion. I’m not sure if this is the case on Seven news also but I suspect Seven may do them live?

The weather is also prerecorded up until the current temperatures part which is done live. So Peter Murphys jokes are live.

Sorry, yes I should have said “live” crosses. Otherwise, Southern Cross must be very important to have live crosses to important national stories within 3 minutes of the bulletin commencing and beating all the Seven News bulletins!

I’ve noticed this too, although sometimes I think the weather may be live as they can rush through it faster than other times and I’ve heard Peter talk about this before that he gets told how long he has and has to speed it up or pad it out accordingly. Generally though this will only affect the live bit at the end and whether he has a long joke or a short joke!

Yeah I think its fairly rare for the weather to be live before the current temperatures.

Last night there was some random southern cross news logos overlayed very briefly over one story.

4 Likes

Yeah something about the cross I saw didn’t look live so I deliberately left out that word but nice to have it confirmed.

non-political cross to Canberra…

C’mon, I know Southern Cross wants to prevent their footage being ‘stolen’ but surely the watermark doesn’t have to be slapped on top of the presenter!? :wink:

3 Likes

lmao if you look closely, the titlecard background has just been given the magic eraser job in Photoshop to make that watermark.

3 Likes

The Canberra backdrop SC News SA has for the cross the Canberra is better than the generic tv screen backdrop they use for the actual news.

2 Likes

Why do GTS/BKN and TNT, both SCA Seven affiliates with proper news bulletins (not just noodle updates), not have a single design package? Different logos, different graphics, different theme music, it doesn’t make much sense.

For minimal effort required (a SCA speciality) to bring both bulletins under a single design, use the GTS/BKN graphics with the TNT logo and news backdrop. Either news theme would be appropriate for both bulletins (TNT theme for “The Mission” and ties to Seven, or GTS/BKS theme for distinctiveness).

3 Likes

Tim Hatfield and Grace Fitzbiggon presenting this week in her… is absence the right word?

She posted on social media that she left SCA, so she presumably is employed by Nine.

Yes, all the staff for Nine local news are.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Northern NSW Ten Local News updates still air? If so, who’s presenting them?

[quote=“TV-ACT, post:399, topic:239, full:true”]
From what I saw of the Tas bulletin a few hours ago, wow it is a blast from the past! It looks awful, seriously needs a refresh… so far behind the presentation quality of the 7News (& 9News) Sydney & Melbourne bulletins. but are SCA going to spend that kind of money?
[/quote]They will eventually. But at present as they say “if it ain’t broke”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course. Most (if not all) of the regionals are behind the metro bulletins in this regard.

[quote=“ando9185, post:410, topic:239, full:true”]

Didn’t realise they still had the crosses to The Mercury. The North ditched those years ago but used to have a cross to The Examiner in Launceston. So there must be two different news updates recorded, one for the north and one for the south.[/quote]Yep, they still do the weekday pre-recorded crosses to The Mercury HQ at the completion of the 8.30pm (thereabouts anyways) updates.

These local newspaper preview inserts have aired here for decades. I wasn’t actually aware they recorded a seperate insert for the The Examiner also. Interesting.

[quote=“dfp, post:411, topic:239, full:true”]So Peter Murphys “jokes” are live.[/quote]Fixed it for you. :wink:

Most of the time only the current temps and throwback to the anchor is live, but sometimes the whole weather segment is actually live I’ve been told before.

[quote=“ando9185, post:412, topic:239, full:true”]

I’ve noticed this too, although sometimes I think the weather may be live as they can rush through it faster than other times and I’ve heard Peter talk about this before that he gets told how long he has and has to speed it up or pad it out accordingly. Generally though this will only affect the live bit at the end and whether he has a long joke or a short joke!
[/quote]Yes. It does depend really. They also add a recap of the headlines etc before closing if time permits waiting for Seven News to end.

[quote=“dfp, post:413, topic:239, full:true”]Last night there was some random southern cross news logos overlayed very briefly over one story.

[/quote]Looks like a Southern Cross News ‘Exclusive’ to me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Reporter/presenter Katelyn Barry has recently left the network. She’s taken up a new position as a local reporter for Sky News in Hobart.

I was wondering why I hadn’t seen her for a few weeks now (also explains why either Jo or Rachel have recently had to do sport presenting duties too).

1 Like

Jo’s reaction when briefly caught unaware when a report wouldn’t play:

Forgot to post this one earlier.

SC chose to insert a giant Ten logo on all the Big Bash reports this year. Obviously they hate WIN’s giant blue mappy, too! :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

[quote=“EyewitnessTV, post:426, topic:239”]Jo’s reaction when briefly caught unaware when a report wouldn’t play
[/quote]

“Sorry, that report must be in a digital format, we’ll try and find the 8mm copy and come back to it later.”

5 Likes