smoothfm

Nate is not a “nickname”, it’s a diminutive or short form of the given name Nathan. There’s also Nate Byrne on ABC News Breakfast, better advise him too that “Nate” is not acceptable. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, however I’d heard smooth and the podcast studios were still a while off.

1 Like

I thought he called himself Nath last week. I hope he changed it on the basis of seeing these posts.

Most commercial FM stations’ style guide is to write the way people speak or talk about events as though they were talking about them to a friend. Also part of the magic of writing is using different terms than bland writing like ‘defeated’ on every occasion.

5 Likes

to correct him on what his name is…?

Did you ever feel the need to correct “Mal” Walden, who read the news by that name for 50 years? Jo Pearson at Channel 10? In Queensland for many years they had a newsreader Don Seccombe, not Donald. Jacki MacDonald read the news too at one stage, but Jacki is not her given name. I’m sure Tony Tardio who has been reading the news at 3AW for years is not using his full first name.

5 Likes

Not really it’s probably the fact that you also don’t tend to hear the name Nathan shorten to Nath as frequently as Matt, Jacki etc. My point is that it sounds more credible when the presenter uses their full name.

Further to my previous comments sport participants should not be referred to as stars or legends as they are mostly not as they have not developed something to stop people from getting cancer to justify the use of such words. For example instead of using “former NRL star Billy Slater is joining the Queensland State of Origin team as assistant coach”
It should be “Former NRL player Billy Slater…”

The word Billy is fine in this context as if you called him he’s actual name noone would know who you are talking about.

1 Like

You’re really clutching the straws here. If someone is a big name in their own right then why shouldn’t they be referred to as star or legend? People would perceive them as such anyway in their fields.

2 Likes

Most of the time it is sports people who are referred to as legends and stars in news bulletins and never someone working on Covid Vaccines etc which is exactly my point. I don’t regard most sport people as legends and they in general get too much coverage anyway compared to others who also deserve it. I would say someone who contributed to a vaccine for Breast Cancer preventing millions of deaths far more important for society then any sport person. Such people never receive the recognition they deserve in comparison.

Plus a sport event should never be the top story on a news bulletin unless it is very significant such as the NRL/AFL grand final or Nick Kyrgios winning the Australian Open which would be the first Australian man to win in many years.

1 Like

I think we’re straying well off topic now

8 Likes

That’s a nice way of putting it…

9 Likes

Thanks @TelevisionAU, you’re a star.

4 Likes

Jennifer Hansen has revealed she will be touring with her husband Alan Fletcher, and will spend much of this year overseas, including travelling to the UK for the Neighbours Celebration Tour in April. Jennifer said it was a tough decision to leave her role on smooth 91.5 breakfast.

I mean, if you’re choosing between getting up every morning at 3.45 or touring with your husband and playing with his band in the UK, what would you do? I’ve loved my time on air with Mike (Perso) but it was time for a change. Especially given Fletch had already booked extensive tour dates in the UK and he wanted me to be with him, singing and playing keyboard as part of the band.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/fromer-radio-host-jennifer-hansen-makes-surprise-career-move/news-story/f809d1b87265a17421052873b2fb1e28

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Nine Radio (Talk)

I really like Smooth (it’s my channel of choice) however the blatant fakeness of it all is a bit jarring. David Campbell was talking about all of the stuff he was doing earlier today before his ‘shift’ on air. When we clearly know it’s all pre recorded. It all feels very disingenuous.

5 Likes

The average listener would not know its pre-recorded. I hate it when he ends he’s show with “love you bye” or something similar.

The week day presenters are much better but I think Smooth FM would do better in the ratings if they had local announcers in both Sydney and Melbourne.

2 Likes

I always have Smooth on in the car and on the Google Home but switch it off when David Campbell comes on. Too smarmy and talks about his kids too much. Melissa Doyle and all of the weekday regulars are great!

Especially love the news presenter Nath Gardener. lol

8 Likes

OMG yes this too. I also turn him down when he is on.

Mike Perso is in the new Melb studios this morning. Complaint so far is no vending machine :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

From Mike Perso’s Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoS5mDuh8sJ/?hl=en

my biggest frustration with the smooth stream is the lack of variety in the adverts. drives me nuts to hear about “the college” or that podcast about home orginisation

3 Likes

It’s more annoying when the ads are out of sync. They also play an ad with a guy saying something about “lazy sperm” which is really annoying. They play that ad to death. Not to mention they also play an ad at the start of the stream with no variety so if the connection disconnect the same ad plays when it reconnects. Such ads are annoying and completely unnecessary its just pure greed. Especially when the station itself is on ad break so after ad plays you come in mid ad break.

2 Likes

Some interesting tunes on Smooth today.

Flowers by Miley Cyrus
Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran

5 Likes