Sky News

While I think there’s an element of truth in that… Sydney’s blue ribbon conservative areas are eastern suburbs, north shore and to an extent “the Shire”.

In general terms Foxtel is popular in the west due to sport and that’s certainly where a lot of their marketing is focused.

3 Likes

Even if many of the electorates there are politically stronger for Labor than the coalition you’d have to presume that a lot of people in Western Sydney are socially conservative, remembering what the results of last year’s same sex marriage postal survey were.

Given that the obviously right wing 2GB and The Daily Telegraph seem to be quite popular there, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Sky News gets a reasonable audience (albeit, not as high as any free to air network) in Western Sydney due to the aforementioned factors.

Good points… The same sex plebiscite results in Sydney’s west revealed not so much political conservatism but religious observance. It was Muslims and islanders amongst others who drove the strong no vote in the west. (In addition to fundamentalist Christians in the Hills district).

Having said that the type of populist shit stirring that the Tele, 2GB and Sky indulge in is designed to exploit the insecurities of people who, rightly or wrongly, feel hard done by.

So I guess it’s fair to say there are potential right wing crazies everywhere.

2 Likes

Must be their intelligence and poor education levels. They live in an echo chamber. They certainly can’t think for themselves.

really? so if someone has an alternate political view to you are of low intelligence and have a poor education? don’t get me wrong, i’m left leaning but this is just a pathetic thing to say. they may have sat down and weighed the issues up and decided conservative politics is what appeals to them. just dismissing them as idiots and morons is what pushes them even more right to people like the australian consevatves and hanson

6 Likes

I watch it when there’s no live sport on but after 6pm I tune to Fox Sports News 500

I meant the people in the western suburbs who lap up this shit.

Sky was airing ads attacking Kerryn Phelps yesterday so they must expect some people in the Wentworth electorate to be watching.

That’s interesting. While the spots are probably part of a multi-channel platform buy (via MCN), it’s not inconceivable that the agency has targeted Sky specifically, if they have it’s a bit weird because you’d think potential Phelps voters aren’t likely to be watching Sky News, unless it was during the day.

1 Like

Big Crowd at the Dubbo RSL for Paul Murray Live.

4 Likes

Yes, it was in the afternoon. I don’t watch the Gremlins.

1 Like

Keep in mind that a lot of political leaders, observers and business leaders watch Sky. Ads like that likely play to demonstrate to ‘people in power’ that the Libs are fighting hard - they aren’t necessarily trying to reach voters themselves. A lot of political ads run on Sky that don’t get wide play elsewhere, I suspect, for that reason.

2 Likes

Fewer and fewer because of the after dark trolls.

During the day Sky acts as wallpaper in parliaments and C-suites. So ads on Sky don’t reach the masses, but they do likely reach people in power. Doesn’t help Coles promote the weekly specials, but for political or social issue messages, there are few better places to advertise I would think.

2 Likes

Just checked the SNOW ratings on Mediaweek.

Over the last week it didn’t crack 1% once. At its closest it was about 0.3% behind ABC News, at its worst it was a full percent behind.

Nothing new there. ABC is a bigger brand and has far bigger reach. Sky is well ahead of most subscription channels, except sport and the flagships (FOX8, TVHITS, and so on).

Kyle, is that you?

Just curious - FSN is currently showing an NBL match between Perth and Brisbane. Considering SNOW simulcasts FSN pretty much all day Saturday, is the channel also showing that match or is it airing other programming?

Katelyn Barry currently presenting FSN is on ch83.

They are still showing FSN, I am unsure if its still live or repeated as I was not watching prior to NBL being shown on 500