Sky News

…and there were at least genuinely amusing bits with The Chaser, Shaun Micallef + a skit with Leigh Sales & Annabelle Crabb, from what I recall of the ABC’s 2013 coverage.

2 Likes

Yes unfortunately the hosting position is bizarre … I’m assuming they’ve moved Paul inside because of the rain but the alternative they chose is just awful.

The location itself isn’t bad… the Intercontinental offers nice views of the Harbour… but Paul tends to be a tad self indulgent and there’s no one in the control room who is able or wants to keep the show moving.

Still, they’re catering to a specific audience who will enjoy Paul.

1 Like

I’m watching this now…he looks like a total slob. And, far be it for me to say this, but he needs to lose weight now. He is a type 2 diabetic waiting to be discovered.

2 Likes

How does Sky end up with reporters from Seven, Nine and WIN? Surely Nine can’t be too happy about Tens regional affiliate being used instead of their Nine team in those area

1 Like

Programming seen on SNOW shouldn’t contain any “restricted” content.

If that’s happenkng you’d have to assume there’s prior agreement, possibly for a one-off special event.

Calvert added: “There’s great energy and ambition at Sky News under Paul’s leadership, and I can’t wait to join him and the team. It’s going to be a huge year for news, and Sky News will be in the thick of it.”

:joy:

This actually looks quite good.

Rita Panahi is to take up expanded role at Sky News. https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/status/1086757882048131072

Yuck. She’s a lunatic. Will fit right in there.

4 Likes

Apart from Rita’s expanded role at Sky News, Paul Murray will host 10 episodes of his nightly show in regional areas across Australia this year (first show in Toowoomba on February 20), while Chris Kenny will host three shows - Kenny on Sunday (returns on January 27), Kenny on Media (starts January 28) and The Kenny Report (starts February 11). Peter Gleeson will anchor The Front Page from next Monday (January 28), looking at the day’s headlines.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/sky-news-growing-with-additional-shows-including-return-of-awardwinning-political-programs/news-story/80adbab46714fa5ec8f3e47161d24ed8

The weekly run down of this show:
Segment 1: Bash the ABC
Segment 2: Bag The SMH, Age and Guardian
Segment 3: Promote upcoming opinionpieces from news limited publications.

14 Likes

I have been watching Sky News UK since it became a full-time 24/7 Foxtel Channel last May. Much better than the Aussie version.

2 Likes

Here’s an example of one of Sky’s problems - too much duplication. Kenny’s going to be presenting three programs which appear to be virtually identical to each other content-wise…

You forgot another two…

Segment 4: Love-ins and praises for Abbott
Segment 5: Screaming over each other

4 Likes

It’s not a problem, it’s how news channels work.

Have you sat and watched BBC World News or CNN for several hours in a row? It’s the same stories with slightly tweaked intros or added value.

The same goes for talk content, they all cover the same basic subjects designed to appeal to their target audience and we know who Sky is targetting.

Nobody watches news channels for long periods except during live events or breaking news.

The average time spent viewing is around 18 minutes… repetition makes sense.

The types of repetition you’ve outlined has a logical basis behind it.

The type of repetition Sky is going to do (1 person presenting seemingly 3 identical programs) doesn’t make sense

3 shows, 3 different time slots, different days of the week… Bolt and Murray are on 5 days a week in the same time slot… no one worries about repetition there.

I just don’t think it makes a difference, particularly when the host obviously resonates with the audience…and he clearly does, or at least Sky management thinks he does.

Just to clarify, would it be better is they had different hosts? Yes of course. But the talent pool is reasonable small so I think the repetition is understandable if not desirable.

That’s different though - while both generally have the same ideological/political views, their shows are unique. It’s no different to what happens with Carlson/Hannity/Ingraham on Fox & Hayes/Maddow/O’Donnell on MSNBC

That’s true… but I’m sure you be watched the shows and there’s a remarkable number of topics and issues that come up again and again and again…

2 Likes