Sky News Regional

Fair enough, sounds quite childish if that’s the case. As I said, not overly familiar with him aside from having the piss taken on The Weekly or similar.

My partner’s grandfather asked if I could put the radio on 3AR last time I had him in the car. He is 92.

2 Likes

Um, I thought 103 and 600 were SD? Is 291 where the SD one goes if you have HD? I haven’t had Foxtel for years.

The ABC hates being called Channel 2. That’s pretty much it.

Isn’t the ABC on Channel 2?

103 & 600 is in HD, 291 is in blurry SD.

If you pay for the HD then SD is 103 and 600.
It’s weird how it works.

It’s the other way around. By default, the HD channels sit in the 2xx range. When you pay for HD, they swap them over so the SD simulcasts of the HD channels are in the 2xx range.

2 Likes

My guess is that if Ten Melbourne doesn’t produce something SKY News On WIN may do so

Sky News always cover state elections, so that would be shown rather than the sports news?

It is possible, unless the WIN’s main channel (or WIN ONE) opts out of the normal schedule that night across Victoria

There are some regional ratings on The Guardian’s Weekly Beast column. Diabolical figures for Sky News After Dark on WIN.

4 Likes

Ratings on FTA are lower than ratings on Foxtel. Richo’s Wednesday 8pm show garners the highest ratings. Credlin and Murray near the bottom of the pile.

With Sky News on WIN being an MPEG4 channel, I would not be overly surprised if WIN decides to switch the channel over to MPEG2 within the next few months in a bid to increase viewership.

At the expense of what channel?

Perhaps by cutting the bandwidth allocated to WIN HD.

God no. Let’s not go into reverse with technology to assist a few stragglers.

The content just isn’t compelling. Simples!

3 Likes

I feel if it was just a few stragglers, 7flix would not have got the bump in shares it did with the changeover. As a commercial business, maximum audience reach needs to be achieved to allow the possibility of achieving maximum ratings.

1 Like

You’re forgetting that was quite a while ago now.

3 Likes

While I don’t personally wish to see Sky News on WIN become an MPEG2 channel…

I agree on this point. As an MPEG4 channel between the launch until shortly after 4ME went bust (4ME was probably the single reason 7Flix launched as an MPEG4 channel) it’s to my understanding that 7Flix regularly struggled against 9Life which in the metro markets, had been in MPEG2 since Day 1.

But once 7Flix’s switch to MPEG2 happened around the start of June 2016, viewership of the channel increased fairly quickly (the network even produced “Now available on more TVs” promos) and is now more often than not ahead of 9Life in the ratings.

The 7Flix changeover from MPEG4 to MPEG2 still happened relatively recently though - a bit over two and a quarter years ago.

Anyway, back on topic. If you think not being in MPEG2 for maximum viewership wouldn’t be a major issue for Sky News on WIN, have you forgotten who owns Sky News Australia? News Corp are a company who’d be all about maximum reach with their content and I highly doubt their offering on regional free to air TV would be an exception. MPEG4 v MPEG2 could even be the difference between viewer figures for Sky News on WIN that are behind or in front of the ABC News channel!

2 Likes

Racing.com is in MPEG4 in most if not all markets.

Don’t hear complaints about that anymore.

If people really wanted to watch Sky News they would have subscribed via Pay TV years ago.

6 Likes