Sky News Regional

They also run HE-AAC+ audio aswell… So it is a great test channel to see what your TV supports

1 Like

From a regional perspective, I would have thought WIN would have tried to have The AG Show screening on either WIN’s main channel or SNOW. If there was a concern as to what to pair The AG Show up with on SNOW, the answer is simple - Money Manager - to fill 1 hour blocks, Perhaps instead of Best Of Bolt on Sunday mornings.

Another promo

Not that diabolical. SNOW was neck and neck with ABC News on Monday night.

You’d have to imagine that the first ratings goal is to beat ABC News

Interesting that Richo is the most popular show though…

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Your Money

Headline News advertisement in Canberra Weekly magazine:

5 Likes

Not sure about other WIN areas, but they really need to do something about the PQ in regional WA.

5 Likes

PQ is fine for Illawarra…

1 Like

Atrocious.

1 Like

Awful. You can’t see the watermark properly.

7 Likes

That is so bad! I haven’t seen anything like that, but I was flicking through the other day and caught an interview on SNOW that I decided to watch.
While the picture quality wasn’t that bad, the feed was all fucked up as usual on WINs multi-channels. I don’t know if it’s only a Townsville thing but I keep seeing WIN channels freeze and then go back and repeat the last few seconds, then fast forward through the next few, then freeze again, then jump back 10 seconds, then jump forward, then freeze and go pixelated. It’s a fucking nightmare!

Doesn’t happen all the time, but i’ve seen it on multiple occasions over WINs multi channels over the past few months. It’s only ever happened on WINs feed, and isn’t my TV, as I saw it happen on a TV tuned to WIN at The Coffee Club a few weeks ago. It’s not just confined to the program either, as i’ve seen it doing so during an ad break on one occasion.

3 Likes

Obviously compressed picture quality wouldn’t usually affect ratings if there were just a little bit which is barely noticeable if you’re sitting a certain distance away from your TV, but I wonder if very noticeably poor picture quality like the example posted by WAtvVideos above would actually effect WIN’s ratings?

Because even if there was something I really wanted to watch on WIN’s network of channels, I definitely wouldn’t put up with quality like that! :confused:

1 Like

It’s exactly how Gold was from March 2016 right through to SNOW’s launch. They’re clearly squeezing too many services on the WA satellite transponder and aren’t doing a damn thing about it. It’s not just Gold/SNOW either; all the WIN services take a hit, it’s just SNOW that takes the biggest hit.

If they’re not going to do anything about the transponder space, they should consider culling TVSN.

7 Likes

In a market like WA, do they really NEED both GOLD and TVSN?

If for reasons such as licensing agreements that they cannot drop TVSN, then maybe they could drop ONE and screen the sport that is EXCLUSIVE to ONE on either 11 or exit the programming on GOLD for those sports events

I would’ve thought that Network Ten would be even less likely to agree to WIN removing a service than TVSN! They just wouldn’t allow One or Eleven to be dropped, even in a market like Regional WA.

What’s with your obsession with trying to add more paid programming to networks? I get that it makes money for them which just might go back into things which benefits viewers (who knows, perhaps some of these now-defunct infomercial services might’ve helped pay for the return of HD main channel simulcasts), but wherever possible we want less and not more of this stuff on our screens!

1 Like

I am NOT trying to add more paid advertising services I was just responding to what was said about dropping TVSN due to technical issues with the transponder

Poor quality OR drop a channel - BUT then WA is a small market, so its more likely to retain all services

They’ve already dropped Gold, twice, which is why suggesting the removal of TVSN seems like a logical step to ensure good quality on their more “important” channels.

1 Like

Do they still have both a WIN SD and WIN HD service on VAST?

Yep, they sure do. So that’s another way they can save bandwidth. Do away with the simulcast on satellite and have just a primary HD service (just like ABC HD which doesn’t have an SD simulcast at all). All they would need to do then is some down conversion trickery at each terrestrial site to meet terrestrial SD simulcast requirements. Every site is already capable of converting MPEG-4 SD to MPEG-2 SD, so surely they can convert MPEG-4 HD to MPEG-2 SD as well? There’s no other reason they need 2 x WIN’s on VAST. Every single viewer has a VAST Certified MPEG-4 HD set-top box.

I could go on and on about how much VAST/networks misuse precious satellite bandwidth, but I think I’ve said it here enough times. Just racks my brain.

2 Likes