Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Another win to 7News Brisbane last night after a high result for The Chase,

Even though the trend is stilll similar to recent few years (9 clear win Melb & Syd, close in Bris & 7 clesar win in Adel & Per)…

The gaps have narrowed.

Partocularly Melbourne (7 increasing - 40k difference now), Sydney (7 increasing - only around 40k difference now) & Adelaide (9 showing increases - around 40k dofference).

By 2017, will there be some neck-and-necks? :grinning:

1 Like

###Week 22 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Nine News first outright win for the survey year (other win was a tie) on a week with lots of green.

Ten News recorded its highest audience of the year nationally and in Sydney and Brisbane. The Project 7pm also a year high. Nine News rating was its best for the survey part of the year.

1 Like

Seven News still won at 6pm it seems.

Nine News still haven’t won a ratings week yet (overall)…

Has to be said though, Nine News still dominant (albeit less so) in Melbourne & Sydney.

Ten News having consistently not too bad numbers in Melbourne.

###Week 23 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

###Week 24 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Seven News wins Brisbane. Ten Eyewitness News and ABC News highest ratings for year so far.

2 Likes

###Week 25 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Seven News wins Melbourne for the first time this survey

Interesting to see that Seven has won it’s first ratings week in Melbourne for 2016.

Now they really need to work on the Sydney ratings. I would immediately suggest swapping the Sunday/Thursday and Friday/Saturday presenters around and restructuring the content so it doesn’t focus on only one part of it’s broadcast area! :wink:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be because seven had the afl lead in in Monday due to a public holiday?

###Week 26 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Seven News wins Brisbane again.

Nine News had arguably its best week in Melbourne this year. At least one portion of the 6pm bulletin attracted 400,000 or more viewers, for five nights in a row (six if you include Sunday). Had Seven News achieved something like that during its best days in the late 2000s?

And The Chase Australia won one day in Brisbane as well. If 7’s Gold Coast news gets some traction, 9 Brisbane could be in trouble.

Interesting… Sven News Melbourne won last week. Big slide with Jennifer Keyte filling in this week.

###Week 27 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

So much red! It’s almost as if the election is driving audiences away :thinking:

1 Like

So 7News Brisbane has won 3 out of the last 4 weeks. Building good momentum ahead of the GC News launch on Monday and the Olympics in a month. :slight_smile:

Regional ratings can’t be posted. As a website no agreement exists with the organisation that processes regional figures and they are copyright.

###Week 28 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

So that is one half of the survey over.

The potential exists for networks after next week to start claiming their news service has “won the year” based on number of weeks of the 40-week survey won. Potential claims from 9 Sydney, 7 Adelaide and 7 Perth plus I wouldn’t be surprised if Seven claimed a national win based on the traditional 6pm result (even though across the hour that isn’t the case).

Aside: I personally have always disliked the idea of claiming wins based on weeks won as I think that the average audience is the better indicator. One reason being that the official ratings company (owned by the networks) measures everything in terms of audience size e.g. a network wins the week if it has the biggest audience share not because it won the most number of days. Likewise a network wins the night if it has the largest audience not because it won the most timeslots and at the end of the year a network doesn’t claim to have won the year based on weeks won. That sort of logic isn’t going to stop the claims though :grinning:.

4 Likes

It’s virtually all but guaranteed that Seven will win next week (and the year, of course) in Adelaide and Perth, isn’t it?

Sydney might be a little more interesting, but I’d probably still expect Nine to be Sydney’s #1 news for 2016 this time next week. Seven’s best chance for weekly wins in Sydney will probably be that awkward 4-6 week gap between the football and cricket seasons in October/November.

When I express a preference for average audiences as above, I suppose I should post the progressive average audience for the bulletins for the year. So at the 1/2 way mark of the ratings survey :

These are overnight averages - consolidated may be slightly higher (1-2k).

2 Likes

I realise that this is a 7v9 news ratings thread and why it’s done this way, but it would be interesting to have the ABC & Ten’s figures included as well to see how they are fairing week on week if possible.