Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Anything for last week?

Week 36 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 36 in 2017:

Another close one in Brisbane. Year low for Nine Perth,

3 Likes

Think it may have been a narrow win to 7 in Brisbane again this week.

Week 37 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 37 in 2017:

2 Likes

Seven News Melbourne seems to be narrowing the gap again after Jennifer Keyte left.

1 Like

So it’s now official: Nine News can not win the 2018 ratings year during the 6pm half hour in the Brisbane/South East Queensland market with Seven scoring their 20th week.

Meanwhile in Sydney, it seems like Nine News’ ratings during the 6.30pm half hour have improved over the past two weeks. Not 100% sure whether to pinpoint this down to the hype surrounding the NRL Finals, David Brown’s absence from Seven News (on a few weeks leave with Angie Asimus and this week, Sally Bowrey filling in for him) or both.

2 Likes

That’s right based on weeks won, but they could win based on the average number of viewers; Seven News is ahead by fewer than 10,000.

1 Like

So coming up with some theories then, surely in Brisbane the Comm Games can’t be a sole reason? Would’ve aided momentum / promotion I’m sure though.

1 Like

Week 38 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 38 in 2017:

21 weekly wins to 7 Brisbane at 6pm

2 Likes

It looks like Brisbane has a new #1 news during the 6pm half: Possibly Seven’s first yearly win in that half hour since the introduction of hour long bulletins in 2014?

Even though Seven won’t be able to make the claim across the hour until at least October 6, it might be time for Nine to change all those “Queensland’s #1 Newshour” promos (if they’re still running them)!

1 Like

For whatever reason Nine’s promos are “Queensland’s Number One Newsroom”. I don’t think it will be long before a Seven promo says Brisbane and Queensland’s number one news.

3 Likes

Andrew and Melissa will not be happy on this, especially on “Special Report” segments that is just advertising-dressed-as-news-reports.

1 Like

Possibly could be claimed as an historical thing, with Nine being the first commercial TV station (and news service too, I’d imagine) back in 1959 by a matter of months?

They probably won’t, but personally I hope Nine News Queensland will cut back on those segments (getting rid of them entirely is probably an unrealistic wish) especially if Seven News Queensland manages to take out the ratings year in Brisbane at 6.30pm!

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention Sydney. Seven News here will definitely be pleased their ratings went up this week (despite Nine retaining their overall lead across the hour), but I can still imagine them really looking forward to the return of David Brown, the NRL season wrapping up and the boatload of sports coverage Seven will have on during October/November! The Martin Place newsroom would be very disappointed if they couldn’t manage to win at least a few ratings weeks at the end of 2018, I think.

1 Like

Wouldn’t Seven have already been using that for a long time? As with regional (7 Local News with @Bort :wink: dominates) added is No 1 QLD wide.

Week 39 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 39 in 2017:

Seven News Melbourne up but not enough for a win.

20 weekly wins to Seven Brisbane across hour.

3 Likes

Looking like another win to 7News Brisbane again this week.

Week 40 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 40 in 2017:

21 weekly wins to Seven Brisbane across hour - winning the year on that basis. Nine News Brisbane recorded its lowest audience outside the Commonwealth Games week with Melissa the solo reader for the 2nd week of the school holidays. But it wasn’t all good news for Seven Brisbane that recorded their lowest audience for this year’s survey so far.

1 Like

Just wondering on the basis of average audience who’s ahead in Brisbane?

Nine’s overkill of tabloid news looks to have cost them the year. There’s only so many times you can recycle the same story about cheap food over and over until the audience becomes tired.

2 Likes

Brisbane M-F full hour:
Seven 192,000
Nine 186,000

Yes, the tabloid approach worked for a while, but now there is so much recycling of stories and the viewers have caught on to fact that there is little content to these reports especially when compared to what the promos promise each night.

3 Likes

Aside from Nine’s 6.30pm portion (which again, makes me wonder if TCN needs to review a particular segment of their bulletin! :wink:), Sydney ratings were up across the board.

Likely due to the (much needed, it has to be said) wet weather we’ve had in Sydney keeping families who’d usually be out enjoying the October school holidays at home watching TV? With there being a decent chance of wet weather continuing in Sydney throughout the first week of Daylight Saving and the 2nd week of the school holidays, I’d imagine both Seven & Nine are hoping for further ratings rises for their Sydney 6pm bulletins next week!

1 Like