Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Nine News had very rare (first time in months?) wins on Thursday and last night, thanks to the mega “Fairfax-Nine” news/publicity.

Seven News won Brisbane yet again, 6pm and over the hour.

Not a good week for Seven News Melbourne, though they’re still the network leader for Seven and win Sunday with 400k regularly.

1 Like

Hey guys, does anyone know the numbers for the morning news bulletins (at 11:30)?

Week 31 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 31 in 2017:

Nine Melbourne reaches milestone 20 weeks won for the survey and 26 for the year.

1 Like

Another win in Brisbane for Seven News, wow, surely can’t be 100% attributed to Comm Games by now though?

2 Likes

Although with 21 weeks during the 6pm half, the News Director at Nine Melbourne is already claiming a victory for 2018:
https://twitter.com/HughNailon/status/1025607487649591296

One wonders if the overly tabloid content and a number of high profile reporters departing the QTQ newsroom are among the factors that have lead to their reduction in ratings this year. Aside from that, I guess Max Futcher is paying off for Seven News Queensland.

Probably the most positive thing I can say about the ratings for Seven News Sydney in 2018: I’m sure they’re really looking forward to the end of the NRL season and are hoping for flow-on effects from sports coverage during October & November to help their 6pm news over Nine’s during the final eight weeks or so during the year. If they can win those eight weeks, Jason Morrison and co might get away with hanging onto the current strategy for one more year. If Nine News Sydney is #1 in some or all post-NRL season weeks (particularly those in November), then Seven News Sydney will need to do in 2019 what Seven News Queensland did in 2018.

2 Likes

Week 32 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 32 in 2017:

Another split decision in Brisbane with Seven ahead at 6pm but Nine winning post 6.30pm; a definite trend.

1 Like

This week is also quite notable for being the one that Nine News Melbourne takes out 2018 in the number of weeks won - they cannot be beaten at 6pm, 6.30pm or overall now.

Perhaps Brisbane viewers are deciding to watch the first half of Seven News but flick over at 6.30pm for the very important “Special Reports” on Nine? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

15 survey weeks won by Seven News Brisbane, shouldn’t be long before they claim the year, impressive turn around in 2018 would you say? Not what Nine would’ve expected or wanted up there.

TBH, I’m rather surprised (perhaps even disappointed, knowing your usual love for all things Melbourne including TV-related) to see you deciding to focus on the Brisbane ratings instead of having anything to say about Nine News Melbourne securing the #1 spot for 2018 this week.

Of course you’re more than entitled to hold your own opinion, but do you really dislike the Nine Network or something?

I’d imagine that this guy can take a fair bit of the credit for Seven’s improving fortunes in Brisbane! :wink:
MaxFutcher

And yes, Nine News has been doing absolutely appallingly in Adelaide & Perth this year (as you so often like to point out) but hey, what’s new there?

1 Like

popcorn.gif

1 Like

Week 33 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 33 in 2017:

Not a good week for Nine especially when compared to the same week in 2017.

1 Like

Indeed - only 2k ahead of Seven during the 6.30pm half in Sydney this week!

Especially since Seven News Sydney seems to gain viewers during the 2nd half while Nine loses them, one continues to wonder if a particular segment of TCN’s 6pm bulletin needs a new presenter…

Seven News up, even getting 1m metro across hour. Winning Brisbane once again. Very close at 6:30pm in Sydney. And relatively close generally in Sydney and Melbourne. Indeed +1, not a great look for Nine.

1 Like

There’s a lot of talk about Nine’s ratings in Perth - and rightfully so - but what about Adelaide?

A drop off for Seven in there too, sure, but one about a third the size of the audience Nine has shed in one year. Not a good sign.

3 Likes

Week 34 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 34 in 2017:

Seven News was down an average 34,600 and Nine 13,800. You might conclude that commercial TV audiences are not attracted to politics and/or with rolling coverage, there isn’t anything much new to report in the 6pm news or is it just this story that has turned viewers off?

Also, ACA had its lowest Friday 5-city audience of the year; perhaps by 7pm viewers didn’t want another cross to Chris Uhlmann? However, Ten News and The Project improved on the previous week.

ABC viewers, however, gave ABC News its highest average weekly audience since June 2017. This was almost entirely due to Friday’s bulletin rating 137,000 above the yearly average for that night. 7.30 had its best weekly audience since the Don Burke investigation of November last year.

Seven News gets a run on the board but it will probably be a tie when averaged.

2 Likes

Nine News Sydney will not be happy that they lost to Seven News Sydney in the hourly average figure this week (albeit by 100, but still) for the first time in 2018!

Perhaps there could be other factors at play - for instance the segment previews probably need to be adjusted, with the Headline Recap at the top of the segment closest to 6.30pm. But I still reckon Darren Wick/Simon Hobbs should look at considerably improving the weather coverage on Nine News Sydney because the market has probably developed an increased interest in that subject recently with the drought and extended dry spells, etc.

Does the ABC usually get a ratings boost for big political events? Because somehow, I’m actually not overly surprised to hear this.

1 Like

Am I mis-reading the numbers? Wasn’t 7 down about 6 000 and 9 about 55 000?

Down from the previous week. 966,800 compared to 1,001,400 just a week ago.

Oh I see.
Because it was directly below the 2017 table I thought it was a comparison to the same week in 2017. My bad.

Week 35 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 35 in 2017:

Brisbane continues to be competitive with Nine back in front across the hour.

2 Likes