Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Don’t forget that only a few years ago Seven was dominant in Brisbane until they inexplicably changed their presenters.

4 Likes

Week 27 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 27 in 2017:

:sparkles::balloon: Congratulations to Nine Sydney and Seven Perth for winning the calendar year, based on weeks won. Seven Adelaide also now cannot be beaten.

3 Likes

…although I’m sure both bulletins + Seven Adelaide will be hoping to claim 21 ratings-season weeks (and therefore, the ratings year in the number of weeks won) on July 21! :wink:

Nine News Melbourne will have to wait until at least August 4 before winning 21 ratings season weeks, while the Brisbane/South East Queensland market is currently very competitive to the point that we won’t know a 2018 ratings season winner there until at least mid-September.

2 Likes

Max Futcher’s appointment in Brisbane seems to be paying off.

2 Likes

I don’t think executives at Nine would even want to look at the ratings in Perth tbh :tired_face:

2 Likes

Week 28 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 28 in 2017:

Seven News reaches 26 weeks won nationally.

2 Likes

But with a loss in Brisbane…

The cold weather and lack of day light in Sydney and Melbourne have increase numbers for Nine and Seven.

Week 29 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 29 in 2017:

Seven News wins the calendar year annually.

Last week was a survey low for 9 News Perth, however, it included a 5pm bulletin due to State of Origin. This week, even without that, the ratings were lower. By contrast, over the last two weeks, 7 News Perth recorded its 4 highest rated bulletins of the year.

3 Likes

With Nine News unbeatable in the market (at least in the number of weeks won) for their 8th year in a row…remind me who Sydney’s #1 newsman is again, @antonio1987? :wink:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. But I do seriously think Seven News Sydney needs to move on from Fergo & McLaughlin when viewers clearly prefer watching Peter Overton (+ Deborah Knight) and Cameron Williams more often than not.

I also wonder if Emma Dallimore (the current deputy) would make a better director of Seven News Sydney than Jason Morrison…

1 Like

7 News Brisbane has bounced back to win again this week. Some very big margins over 9 early in the week

1 Like

What? Even the Carls Jr. reports in Brisbane didn’t help Nine to gain a W.

Nine are an absolute basket case in Perth! Good God without a doubt unacceptable. Shame more isn’t made of it only because it’s a smaller market.

At least for Seven in Sydney, numbers are a hell of a lot closer and they’ve grown in recent years, as Nine has plunged in the market (just look what the difference was in 2013).

3 Likes

If members from Perth want to add to the discussion about the ratings of their market, it’d be great to see some posts. But I personally thought that Seven News absolutely smashing the competition and Nine being dead last on a nightly basis has been a fairly consistent trend in Perth for many years?

Until Seven’s iconic duos in Perth & Adelaide retire (when I’m sure Nine will make an aggressive push in both cities), Nine News is probably better off spending most of their time/money focusing on the East Coast markets where they win or are at least competitive against Seven.

Even though the gap has closed somewhat, haven’t both Seven and Nine lost 6pm news viewers in the Sydney market since 2013?

Also, I’m not sure that it’s fair to compare what the Sydney news ratings are like now compared to what they were in the final full ratings year before the analogue switchoff (2013 ratings year ended on November 30, Sydney analogue was switched off on December 3) and both networks expanding their bulletins to run for a full hour. That’s without mentioning the various other factors which have seen audiences fragment over the last half a decade, so maybe 2015 would be a fairer comparison?

Seven News nationally, Nine News Sydney, Seven News Adelaide and Seven News Perth win the 2018 survey nationally based on weeks won.

2 Likes

It must 25 year’s since 7 news perth lost to 9 news in perth

I heard that the last time Nine News won over seven in Perth was back in 1990. Since 1991, Seven News has taken the lead over Nine. It was a very long time when Channel 9 had a win over Seven in ratings year.

Week 30 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 30 in 2017:

Not one of Seven’s best weeks with Nine winning Thursday and Friday.

Close again in Brisbane; with rounding it may end up a tie across the hour.

1 Like

Seven Melbourne is losing ground… that gap has been widening ever since Jennifer Keyte left.

With Jennifer Keyte all but the latest in a string of high profile presenters to depart Seven News Melbourne in recent years, you really have to wonder what their succession plan for Peter Mitchell is when the time comes. Would someone like Jacqueline Felgate or Blake Johnson really be strong enough to lead Seven News Melbourne to #1 ratings in the post-Mitchell era? At the moment, I’m not so sure about that.

I’ll spare everyone a repeat of my opinion about the ratings situation of the Sydney 6pm news bulletins for now, because I’m sure everyone could guess what I would say this week! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Blake Johnson could take over from Peter Mitchell in say 8-10 years, but he needs to be groomed for the role. He’s still an unknown face to most Melbourne viewers. Seven need to build his profile, reputation and trust to audiences.

Melbourne (along with Sydney) also like their main presenters to be a certain age (40 plus). Age usually comes with experience.

But the lose of Jennifer Keyte is having an effect on the bulletin.

1 Like