Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Dreaming of Michael Usher to resurrect the Seven News audience in Sydney.

3 Likes

Obviously Nine has won the 25-54, 18-49 and 16-39 demos with Seven a distant second or even third by the overall scheme of things right?

Nine would be very pleased because they are making tons of money off advertisers, who crave for the 25-54 demo.

We’ve now had four years of Mark Ferguson leading Seven’s 6pm news bulletin and with them failing to have any major success in that time, I think serious questions need to be asked by the management of Seven News Sydney about Fergo’s place on the bulletin going forward. Afterall, you have to remember that Nine gave up on Mark Ferguson after four years (2005-08) before moving to Peter Overton - a move which initially hurt Nine’s 6pm news ratings but of course eventually lead to them holding the “Sydney’s #1 News” title which they’ve had for seven years now.

Personally, I think Michael Usher might be the only newsreader that Seven News Sydney currently has that (with the appropriate amount of promotion) can be a serious competitor to Peter Overton in 2018. Melissa Doyle is probably happy with her Sunday Night commitments, Chris Reason is barely better than Mark Ferguson while Robert Ovadia probably should stay well away from newsreading in the future.

As for Nine News Sydney, in 2017 Peter Overton got less than half the numbers that Hendo enjoyed 25 years ago but by far, they’re in the healthier position of the two Sydney 6pm news services right now. With a few minor tweaks (like getting better sports reporters & weather presenters) that’ll make the news service just a bit more relevant to the market, Nine’s Sydney 6pm bulletin should continue to perform well in 2018 and beyond.

2 Likes

Usher is similar to Jim Waley. Credible but stiff and somewhat dull. You are saying he is the best alternative they have to Mark Ferguson. Time for Seven to poach some talent.

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve seen that before, an exact tie in Brisbane!

So Seven News win the year again.

With Nine News winning markets of Sydney and Melbourne, while Seven News held Adelaide and Perth by the length of the Flemington straight.

Most residents prefer Homebush West.

1 Like

Week 48 Final

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings Period

Weeks won - Full Year

The tie in Brisbane was broken in the final numbers with Seven News winning its third week for the survey.

2 Likes

Week 49 Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Full Year

Note: Preliminary!

1 Like

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

On preliminary, a massive win to Seven News, particularly impressive in Melbourne.

Nine News let down by multiple cricket over-runs.

Seven News had its first win in Melbourne due to the cricket… Nine might want to re think this approach.

1 Like

I don’t think we know whether it was up to them or CA?

Week 50 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

1 Like

Seven News doing better in Brisbane.

1 Like

Week 51 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Rare (preliminary) national win to Nine News. Brisbane may end up a tie with rounding.

1 Like

Week 52 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

1 Like

Check the 9 news average for Brisbane. If the numbers for the two half hours are correct, the average is wrong and 7 wins the hour.

Thanks but I can’t see the problem with the Nine numbers: 165,900 is the average of 168,600 and 163,200.

Week 51 is what I replied to not Week 52.

Really? When have I commented before?