Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

How so?

Week 32 Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings Period

Weeks won - Full Year

1 Like

Close between Seven News & Nine News in Melbourne, with the former winning a bulletin or two during the week.

Week 33 Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Full Year

Seven won 6pm nationally but lost 6.30 so that Nine won its 3rd week for the survey so far.

Nine Sydney had its 2nd highest result for the survey.

Seven Brisbane had its worst result of the survey so far (despite RNA sponsorship).

2 Likes

Great week for Nine, especially in Sydney.

Rare to see that market all green & Nine News Sydney hasn’t averaged 300k for quite a while (often Seven News Melbourne is higher than them).

Week 34 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Lots of red this week.

1 Like

Seven News Sydney will be pleased that as Mark Ferguson returned, so did plenty of viewers…

2 Likes

Seven News Sydney up 13,000, Nine News down 23,000.

1 Like

Week 35 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Nothing over one million, first time since week 12 in March. Only the second time this year that Nine Melbourne has been below 300,000.

1 Like

Week 36 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Poor result for Seven thanks to a new low for the Brisbane bulletin.

Same week last year in Brisbane it was
Seven News 192,000
Nine News 194,500

2 Likes

Surely there’s a way to fix the Brisbane news. We cant let Aldi News lead Queensland TV.

1 Like

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: Aldi’s the factor to a No.1 news service in SEQ.

1 Like

Ratings wise, would being around 50k or higher be the Brisbane equivalent of a 100k+ gap in Sydney or Melbourne? If so, the sound of alarm bells probably should be deafening at Seven up there!

I doubt they’ll be read by anyone important, but for what they’re worth here’s a few free tips for Seven News Queensland in no particular order…

#1: Stop copying the competition’s dubious “Special Reports” and focus on providing Queenslanders with a higher quality 6pm news bulletin than Nine. If you have to run “Special Reports” to attract viewers, at least run content that’s of greater substance than something like “Queensland’s School Holiday Cinema Rip-off!” (of course I made that one up as an example, but sadly I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s actually a “Special Report” on Seven or Nine News Queensland in coming weeks)

#2: Move Kay McGrath back to weeknights, with Bill & Sharyn presenting on weekends. I’d love to say that Rod Young should return to weeknights alongside Kay, but with his current role for Seven Gold Coast News I think that ship has sailed.

#3: Maybe think about giving Seven News Queensland a completely new set sometime in 2018? Mind you, the same could be said about the sets of Seven News in all markets except Sydney (and even then, the current set-up in Martin Place doesn’t look that great IMO).

#4: Consider rolling out full HD production of the news in Brisbane and indeed all markets. I know this is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but with Nine News having full HD production in pretty much every metro & regional market (currently the only Australian network to do so), Seven News probably should follow suit before overly long.

Other suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

I know how I’ve mentioned this many times but now I feel that if Kay was to move back to weeknights and then retires in a few yrs time it would be really inconsistent. Although I personally wont mind Bill and Kay presenting together.

Very rare loss for Seven News :open_mouth:

I think a major factor to Seven News’ loss this week in Brisbane could be the changes made to their presentation in recent times to make it similar to Seven News Sydney. Since Monday, the rundown was changed meaning finance and fuel reports were moved from the last block before the weather to after the third ad break, replacing the ‘on this day’ segment. Also, a ‘Don’t miss’ bit was added just before sport this week, in addition to the earlier changes to presenting style.

1 Like

Week 37 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

2 Likes

Week 38 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

1 Like

Week 39 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Both the 6pm and 6.30 news/TT went backward in every market for Seven while Nine improved in all but Adelaide and won the 6.30pm segment nationally.

1 Like

Week 40 Preliminary

Weeks won - Full Year

Despite some good results for Nine News this week, it wasn’t consistent enough and Seven was back on top at booth 6pm and 6.30pm.

3 Likes