Seven Tennis Coverage

As I said in the cricket rights thread, Seven won’t be able to show the BBL during next year’s Australian Open. So those 16 matches to be exclusively broadcast by Fox Sports should occur during the period.
As for the Hopman Cup, Sydney International, Brisbane International and Kooyong Classic (does anyone know if Nine has the rights to Kooyong in the new tennis rights deal?), some match days will have to be bumped to 7TWO or 7mate when main channel is showing BBL.

I believe Kooyong is run/sold separately through IMG but may be wrong.

3 Likes

If Seven are able to request a sub-licence to Nine thorough TA for next year’s Aus Open, than Seven won’t have got to say thank you and goodbye to their loyal viewers over 40 years.

But come to think of it, did Nine get a chance to do the same before the final cricket broadcast earlier this year? So possibly same situation.

A shame.

Seven will show the Fed Cup world group playoff between Australia and Netherlands from Wollongong next weekend (April 21-22) live on 7mate. Confirmed tonight after the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.

2 Likes

7mate Sat and 7two Sun in Tasmania. Noon-4pm both days.

I’m still not confident Seven will broadcast the Australian Open next year.

I think it is more likely than not Seven will try to reach some (very awkward and legally challenging) arrangement with TA, to on-sell to Nine a year early.

I just don’t see how they can even have any remote focus on tennis next summer, now they’ve got brand new cricket coverage to set-up, let alone potential clashes. Tim Worner also panned tennis during that flat as a tack cricket press conference. Not good :confused:

Better off having a broadcaster who actually WANTS tennis and HAS full rights, be able to put heart and sole into the Aus Open.

Yes, It’ll be sad no farewell packages can be done. But you know what, Nine have now lost cricket, so they’re in that same boat.

1 Like

Does Seven still have Wimbledon?

Yes.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, I wonder whether there would be a restriction by Tennis Australia as to who Seven could sell the rights to this season.

If Ten can get there hands on it, go all in. Promote. Use this as a way to completely relaunch the network. Blanket outdoor promotion. Make it an event in itself with a massive lead up over several months. With a tag line perhaps of ‘from the network that constantly reinvents television - having bought you big event television in Australian Idol etc and / or the move away from Sunday night at the movies etc’

Are seven selling the rights?

No word either way, one would assume no, but others seem to think they might need to logistically and financially they may need to, but to me they may give secondary channels a big boost over this Summer especially given to announcement to the contrary

It has been speculated this may occur. Otherwise it will have to air one of the Tennis / Cricket on 7mate when they clash which the respective sporting bodies may not like…

Literally 15 minutes ago!

9 Likes

People keep speculating about the same things - there has so far been no indication either way, so why contemplate what might happen.

Unless otherwise indicated, Seven will maintain the tennis rights this year, probably hoping the AO finals do not conflict with Cricket commitments. Until the Summer of Cricket schedule is assembled, contemplating a “sale” seems pointless - at this point this years Tennis rights are probably not for sale

You must be new here

8 Likes

Not that new.

Personally I dont think they would sell something that could be an asset to another network - one minute they criticise a Seven deal with the BBL and then they speculate Seven would sell the AO rights

Well i dont see why ten would want to buy the rights for one year. The cost to produce etc would be too much for one year.

If Seven were to sell them, Seven would probably want to get $50 million for them and Nine offer $10 million - with the view that it was a “fire” sale.

Ultimately, it will end up on 7Mate (with the AO final LIVE on Seven)

If Ten can pick up the Tennis from Seven next summer, that would be a big bonus.

I just don’t know how seven can juggle both sports.

I doubt TA would allow Ten do get rights for 2019.

Nine are their new long-term partner, only reason they don’t have next year is because Seven are contracted. It’ll be Seven or Nine.

As much as I’d love to see Ten have the Australian Open.