Seven Tennis Coverage

Nine did invest in their coverage and would have hosting from the UK and commentators and a full set with the background being one of the outside courts. For a time there they were also using their own graphics package for all their matches. It was much classier coverage back then.

2 Likes

Tennis Australia has spoken to the networks in recent weeks about bidding for the next television rights contract. Seven’s current deal ends after the 2019 Australian Open, and TA are hoping to get a new deal signed before the next cricket deal is finalised, The Australian reckons.

1 Like

Davis Cup

From Friday 15 September

Australia will make their bid to reach the Davis Cup final for the first time since 2003 when they face Belgium on an indoor clay court at Brussels Palais starting Friday 15 September.

Captained by Lleyton Hewitt, livewire Nick Kyrgios will headline the Australian team alongside Thanasi Kokkinakis, Jordan Thompson and John Peers, following the team’s triumph over the USA in the quarter finals in Brisbane.

Johan Van Herck captains the Belgium team that includes world no. 14 David Goffin who is battling a knee injury, Steve Darcis, Ruben Bemelmans and Joris De Loore.

This will be Australia and Belgium’s fifth meeting, following Belgium’s success in their last two clashes landing the head-to-head tally at 2-2 in overall Davis Cup meetings.

If Australia can win this tie, Hewitt’s team will host the final at home against either France or Serbia in November.

Todd Woodbridge will host Seven’s coverage with expert commentary from Davis Cup-winning captain John Fitzgerald.

Friday 15 September
Sydney 10.00pm LIVE 7TWO
Melbourne 10.00pm LIVE 7TWO
Brisbane 10.00pm LIVE 7TWO
Adelaide 9.30pm LIVE 7TWO
Perth 8.00pm LIVE 7TWO

Saturday 16 September
Sydney 11.00pm LIVE 7mate
Melbourne 11.00pm LIVE Ch 7
Brisbane 11.00pm LIVE 7mate
Adelaide 10.30pm LIVE Ch 7
Perth 9.00pm LIVE 7mate

Sunday 17 September
Sydney 10.00pm LIVE 7TWO
Melbourne 10.00pm LIVE 7TWO
Brisbane 10.00pm LIVE 7TWO
Adelaide 9.30pm LIVE 7TWO
Perth 8.00pm LIVE 7TWO

Seven has had exclusivity, longer than Nine has had the stronghold on cricket!

I doubt very much that the Australian Open is going to a rival network, especially given this year’s Men’s Final ratings.

2 Likes

1 Like

Seven was planning to show Davis Cup tennis right after the AFL in all states. Perhaps it has changed its mind, and put the tennis on 7mate in Melbourne and Adelaide?

EDIT: according to online guides, Saturday’s play will be shown on 7TWO nationally from 11pm AEST.

1 Like

Blockquote

Clearly didn’t watch their awful 2009 coverage where some days weren’t barely even shown because of one day international cricket, they were mailing it in the last few years for sure. Constant matches on delay and being shafted late due to the Footy Show.

I don’t think it would be any guarantee that they would the secondary channel regardless.

Clearly didn’t read my post. It was a different situation, in which channels didn’t have the flexibility to throw sports/programs on to other channels.

They also had to make business decisions in 2009 on what would rate higher. Therefore tennis was second to other than programs or sports. At the end of the day Nine is a business who is required to make profit.

I am fully aware of the coverage in 2009, but in understand that it’s not that clear cut as you have made it out to be.

If it was a situation of today, in which they served up that kind of coverage, I would be the first person to say how bad and non professional it is.

SD coverage for the Davis Cup - mostly shown on 7Two with a short period on 7Mate/7 post AFL

1 Like

IMG_0354IMG_0355
7Two telecast

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I just noticed that the Davis Cup is airing on both Seven and SevenTwo in Sydney (and assumingly in Melbourne too?). Why air on both channels?

Did the coverage on Seven start at 11pm, straight from the AFL coverage?

1 Like

Perth mate and two same as last night

2 Likes

Last night the dual channel coverage was only for a short period; it commenced on 7Two then some coverage was seen simulcast on 7Mate as part of the AFL coverage until the next 7Mate program started when it was back to 7Two only. It was presented as part of the AFL coverage.

Tonight’s coverage is HD and had opening titles and an intro.

1 Like

Interestingly, there isn’t any “HD” addition next to the “watermark” on LCN-70 here in Sydney.

This post-AFL Davis Cup coverage looks like it’s in native HD though:

1 Like

Yep, same deal in Vic/Tas with dual coverage. The coverage ended on Seven once it cut to the first ad-break (around 10-15 minutes I guess) and continued on 7TWO.

1 Like

It was longer than that?

Scheduled programming only resumed around 1am AEST (and they skipped one program to make up lost time).

Talking about Friday night Luke. AFL finished on Seven around 11.40-45pm then went straight to Tennis then coverage for that was cut for First Dates Australia at 11.55pm.

Yes, last night (Saturday) looks to have continued for an extended period to Friday.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Seven might be secretly hoping John Alexander loses his by-election. Good timing to get him back into commentating ahead of the Australian Open.

1 Like

Wrong proportions for the Seven.

2/10 shit mock, mods pls ban

1 Like