Seven Tennis Coverage

Today was a ‘live’ rubber with Germany entering the day 2-1 up and needing another win to clinch victory

1 Like

There’s no doubt MKR is still the biggest business (maybe bar Olympics / Comm Games) for Seven, even if ratings have declined.

Even having no hesitation moving AFL games in Melbourne for it (though that may change this year - as it backfired a tad last year).

But yes, pathetic.

NB/
Seven and others I believe regularly provide advertisers / media with ‘total’ ratings reports. That is overnight live / as live broadcast + consolidated 7 + consolidated 28 + VOD VPM + live VPM + broadcast encores - all metro + regional. @TV.Cynic might be able to back me up there?

To bump the final overall figure up as much as possible. I guess relevant for shows like Good Doctor, Bachelor/Bachelorette, Married. But I’d argue not MKR, given its biggest numbers come from overnight broadcast.

So IMO, encores pushing live sport away during arvos and replacing movies on Fridays or Saturdays (at least until official survey) is POINTLESS :neutral_face:

1 Like

i thought the quality coming from 7two prime was pathetic it was if it was coming from a streaming service and they just chucked it on and marked it live and free it was that bad

Fed Cup:

6 Likes

More caps:

6 Likes

@Abesty you are a legend, just wanted to say that :ok_hand: :clap: Thank you so much (been meaning to do it for ages).

Great for in the future, if we’re looking for a certain super / graphic / bug / watermark / set / presenter / etc.

Even telecasts buried away on a multi-channel during the afternoon for a short period or late at night.

Kudos to other vault contributors (or anyone who posts caps in any thread) :clap:

MediaSpy vault may not be what it used to, but good to see many still helping out, but especially folk like Abesty.

2 Likes

Fed Cup Day 2:

5 Likes

More:

6 Likes

THE Davis Cup is set to be transformed into an 18-nation World Cup-style tournament under new proposals put forward by the International Tennis Federation.

2 Likes

The revamped format will mean no more home and away ties for Australia unless the country bids to host the event. The question is whether Seven will be interested to show other Davis Cup matches not involving Australia. If not, Fox Sports will snap up the rights.

1 Like

BeIN Sports currently holds the rights to all Davis Cup ties not involving Australia as well as all WTA events including the WTA Tour Finals and Fed Cup

Tennis Australia taking the Tennis rights to market. Bids due in April. Obviously they’ll just bend over to seven’s will as per usual. They need a new broadcaster after the woeful hosts and commentators we have been subjected to at seven. And of course their poor main channel coverage.

Again these rights like all sports rights need new broadcasters to change the tone and style of coverage.

3 Likes

Why do they need a new broadcaster? I doubt it would acheive the reach and figures on another network. They would be mad to move on from the relationship they have with seven.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t they go from 7 to who ever televises it. Money trumps loyalty. Don’t ever forget that.

1 Like

They would not get the same ratings on another channel as they do on Seven. So advertisers would lose money which they wont be happy with.

1 Like

I dont think they would. Seven have a huge older loyal audience.

Yest money trumps loyalty. But seven would be a long term investment for tennis Australia.

1 Like

TA would be idiotic to go anywhere else. Apart from the hosts/commentators the coverage is great. If you think that another network will give more reach and better coverage than seven dedicating most of their network for the entire month then you are kidding yourself

1 Like

The tender process is perfectly timed - you would think that unless the cricket rights auction is tight, that will be wrapped up in the next few weeks so all interested parties will be able to make an informed decision about their approach towards the TA rights

2 Likes

Fairfax reports Nine may have made a successful bid for tennis rights. Nine is believed to have made an offer of $60 million per year, well above Tennis Australia’s current deal with Seven which is worth $35 million a year. If Seven does indeed loses the tennis and does not get any cricket matches in the latest Cricket Australia tender, it could be left with no major sport in future summers which will leave a big programming hole in the network’s schedule.

Let’s hope this happens. Good to see sports moving networks.

Hopefully seven are left with nothing in summer.