Seven Sport

The bigger component will be the streaming, the Television component will undoubtedly be smaller as fewer eyes are now watching that apart from the GF.

I’m sorry but there is no chance a FTA station will have exclusive rights ever again. I can only see if getting worse with the potential of Fox getting an exclusive finals match or something. Seven have already made so many cut backs in their schedule to suddenly be pay 2 billion would mean they would have to be exclusive AFL channel.

And to be honest I think Ten will play real hard in the next AFL negotiations.

4 Likes

10 would be wise to work with Seven in this scenario. Have something similar to what they’ve had before (alternate finals/Brownlow), as well as certain matches on Seven/others on 10. It worked for them between 2002-2011, they should try it again and lock Fox out.

But it means they would have to fork out 1 billion each. Just won’t happen without a pay service l. Whether it’s 10 all access, Fox or Netflix. You will never be able to see all AFL matches for free.

1 Like

Oh I agree I wish all sport was free. Just isn’t going to happen.

3 Likes

The basis for your scenario is wrong. The current rights deal is $2.508 billion over six years with Seven paying $140 million (+ $10m contra) per year for the FTA rights

1 Like

Wow it’s even more inflated than I thought.

The 2018 Inter Dominion final will be shown on 7TWO this Saturday (December 15) from 9pm AEDT.

1 Like

I think the only situation where an FTA broadcaster could own all the broadcast rights to a major code would be if they planned to start up a streaming service, which would host, say, half of those matches exclusively behind a paywall.

It’d be hard to recoup $1.2+ billion through TV ads and sponsorship alone.

Seven’s gone to a bit of trouble with the Inter Dom tonight, Hamish with panel live at the track, opening package voiced by Dan Milecki.

Thought they’d do most basic coverage possible.

2 Likes

According to TV Week, the Rolex Sydney to Hobart yacht race will be shown live on 7mate on Boxing Day from 12.30pm to 2pm AEDT. The broadcast time is the same as last year, just different channel.

1 Like

Yep, there was a graphic on one of the days with the cricket saying that cricket would be on 7 on Boxing Day and Sydney to Hobart on 7mate.

I’d imagine they’ll do their megawall view a bit during it too like how they’ve been doing during the tests and the WBBL games.

1 Like

Matt Carmichael replaces Mark Beretta as host of Seven’s coverage of Sydney to Hobart.

1 Like

3 Likes

That would Be due to Mark Beretta hosting the Tour Down Under in Jan.

Isn’t it more to do with him being in the UK for Christmas?

1 Like

Seven has gone to lengths to promote its Sydney to Hobart yacht race coverage. During the cricket broadcast on main channel this morning there was a pre-recorded cross to Matt Carmichael, plus 4-5 clips showing the Sydney Harbour.

EDIT: the race start is simulcast live on both main channel and 7mate.

1 Like

NFL Playoffs 2018 week 1 schedule on 7mate (all times AEDT)

Wild Card Weekend
Sunday, January 6
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans, 8.35am
Seattle Seahawks at Dallas Cowboys, 12.15pm
Monday, January 7
Los Angeles Chargers at Baltimore Ravens, 5.05am
Philadelphia Eagles at Chicago Bears, 8.40am

For those playing along at home, Chargers @ Ravens is a CBS host telecast (CBS are also doing the Super Bowl this year), Indy @ Houston is an ESPN/ABC host telecast (apparently their coverage and commentary this year has been putrid), Fox is the host for Seattle@ Dallas, and NBC covers Eagles @ Bears. Fox will be host for both NFC divisional games, with NBC host for the AFC divisional game in Kansas City.

CBS will host the New England divisional game against either Ravens or Chargers