Seven Sport

I’d say condensation - Racing.com coverage didn’t use the low angle camera that seemed to be worst affected.

3 Likes

It was embarrassing that they didn’t cut to another camera. Maybe there wasn’t another one available to them, until they reached another part of the racecourse.

2 Likes

I believe that camera is the only one going around the track, attached to a vehicle, so nobody could wipe it? They switched to the grand stand camera when coming down the straight (most important moment). But yes, embarrassing, was noticible, clearly didn’t check that camera lens pre-race.

2 Likes

They could have used the camera that Racing.com did

2 Likes

But did they have access to it? If they did, then they failed.

2 Likes

Sad news.

1 Like

I tipped The cliffsofmoher to win the race but I was very heartbroken with the horse that had to be euthanised.

I watched the race live and was shocked to see The Cliffsofmoher pulling up after passing the winning post for the first time. ABC Radio said the horse clipped the heels of another horse in front.

Anyone else think the ‘Kevin on 7’ horse is tacky/corny?

Who’s Kevin?

Edit: I missed the horse bit.

Nup, horse names are often a bit out there.

2 Likes

Not as tacky as a horse than ran about 25 years ago called Richard Cranium…

1 Like

At the end of today’s Seppelt Wines Stakes telecast, Bruce McAvaney, Francesca Cumani, Richard Freedman and Jason Richardson reminisced about their memories of Melbourne Cup during the 17 years covered by Seven. Bruce said it was a “farewell with a difference” and wished the VRC and its chairman Amanda Elliott all the best for the future but no mention of Ten which would show the Cup carnival next year. He said Seven would still be covering the Magic Millions, The Championships in Sydney, Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate.

Surprised Bruce didn’t mention that their sister channel (Racing.com) would still be showing the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

Anyway, here’s the full farewell Seven did at the end of their Derby Day coverage (the top video Johnson linked to cut off nearly all of the comments made by the team):
https://streamable.com/90q11

3 Likes

Racing.com will be doing coverage despite 7 losing the FTA rights to 10.

It will be interesting to see Racing using talent from Channel 7 in their own Cup coverage next year.

Australian Open Gold :golf:

Fresh from winning a US Tour event in Mexico overnight, Matt Kuchar will lead a star-studded Australian Open field vying for the prestigious Stonehaven Cup at The Australian Golf Club in Sydney on Thursday.

Defending champion and young Aussie superstar Cameron Davis will return in a bid to be the first person since Peter Lonard in 2004 to win back-to-back.

Former winners Greg Chalmers, Robert Allenby and crowd favourite Craig Parry are set to light up the fairways, alongside a host of Aussie stars including Rod Pampling and John Senden.

US PGA Tour winners Brandt Snedeker, Keegan Bradley and Brendan Steele will form a powerful international contingent alongside Kuchar .

The Australian Open is also a chance for players to secure a place in golf’s international championships, the British Open. The leading three players, who finish in the top 10 and ties who are not already exempt, will qualify for the 2019 British Open.

Seven’s golf coverage will be streamed live on 7plus, giving Australians access anywhere, anytime on any device to the Australian Open and Australian PGA.

In addition to live streaming on 7plus, 7Sport will be following the action throughout the day @7Golf and @7Sport on Facebook and Twitter.

The Australian Open will be hosted by Jason Richardson and Alison Whitaker . Pat Welsh , Wayne Grady, Grant Dodd, Ewan Porter and Alison Whitaker will commentate the action. Bree Laughlin will report on all the colour from around the course.

TV Broadcast times:

Thursday 15 November – Sunday 18 November

Sydney 12pm
Melbourne 12pm
Brisbane 11am
Adelaide 11.30am
Perth 9am

1 Like

Anyone surprised the Golf is getting primary channel coverage on Thursday and Friday? Or are the dollars seven getting more than enough to buy time outside of the weekend given that the Golf is probably a time buy?

It doesn’t seem to matter much (re cricket) but I think it’s on the anti siphoning list.

Golf is no longer on the anti-siphoning list. The current list is here:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00987

Cheers, must have updates when the masters became defunct.

I suppose the Davis Cup will need to be altered now.

1 Like

Golf would rate far better than The Daily Edition.

3 Likes