Seven Sport

Exactly. Each team gets at least one prime time game per year. The teams who do better the previous year get more and in better slots.

For example:
The Miami Dolphins had two primetime games in 2016 after finishing 6-10 in 2015.
The Dolphins had four primetime games in 2017 after finishing 10-6 in 2016.

As Seven only show the Sunday Night game, some will miss out. Thursday and Monday Night games are exclusive to ESPN.

Does anyone happen to know when this England v Australia ODI cricket series was broadcast on Seven?

2 Likes

I think that happened in 2005?

2 Likes

Seven did cover at least one ashes series in england must have been 2005

That screenshot is from the ODI between Australia and England at The Oval on the 12th July 2005. Michael Vaughan gets run out making the score 44/2. It was the 3rd and final match in the series. Interestingly, there was a triangular series involving Bangladesh immediately prior to this 3 match series. 9 days after the match this screenshot is from the Ashes started.

2 Likes

SBS aired the Ashes and Ch7 covered the ODIā€™s and the T20I portion of the tour.
The 1st Test conflicted with the Tour de France.

The Test matches are the only part of the UK tour that makes up the Ashes, so ch7 havenā€™t ever covered them.

2 Likes

Iā€™d forgotton this. So Nine didnā€™t broadcast cricket one year?

That Seven Sport logo dates back to around 2003/2004, also when they didnā€™t have the AFL rights.

Aus Open and Melbourne Cup their main events (as well as Athens Olympics and a Winter Olympics) during this time.

They acquired motorsport from Ten and regained the AFL in 2007.

Wasnā€™t in Australia so Seven picked up the series for a while. Most Australian tours donā€™t get shown on TV unless you have Fox Sports. Was weird seeing Seven with cricket though!

2 Likes

SBS covered the 2005 and 2009 Ashes series.
7 have never covered the Ashes. They did have the ODI and T20I games in 2005, not sure about 2009.

1 Like

Pretty sure they covered the ODIs as well in 2009

1 Like

In the 2005 Ashes series in England, Ch7 covered the ODIā€™s which were prior to the first test match of the Ashes series. Coverage was hosted by Tony Squires with Kerry Oā€™keefe and Stuart McGill.

That cap is definitely from the 2005 series.

1 Like

Like I said last night, that is from 12th July 2005ā€¦

They covered the 2001 Ashes tour England

Promo

For the record

2001: C7/Seven
2005: SBS (Tests)/ Seven (ODIs)/Fox Sports
2009: SBS/Fox Sports
2013: GEM/Fox Sports
2015: Nine/GEM

1 Like

James Brayshaw used to host the 2001 Ashes Series On 7 before his move to Nine in 2002 where he called AFL Games.

The new Perth (Optus) Stadium announced today that it has named the stadiums state-of-the-art Media Centre in Dennis Comettiā€™s honour.

Iā€™m sure I wrote ā€œThat I could rememberā€ there but obviously I edited that out before I posted!
I could remember Nine having 1997 then 2013 and SBS doing 2005 and 2009. Couldnā€™t remember 2001 and had assumed Nine had it.

The cap is from when I said (12 July 2005).
ODIā€™s arenā€™t part of the Ashes when it comes to menā€™s cricket though.

Who is it named after?

Dennis Cometti what legend

2 Likes

Dennis Cometti. It is a great honour given his long contribution to WA sports media.

2 Likes