Seven Sport

I doubt they’re the main factors.

It’s the Olympics, biggest sport event in the world, people will flock (particularly swimming and athletics here).

I believe the main reason was due to Rio’s time zone. With no live events at the core prime-time of 7:30pm, having to have a ‘highlights’ show.

Tokyo will be much better.

2 Likes

and using the ABC’s OB vans

I care. Davis Cup/Fed Cup is tied in with the Aus Open contract. TA will always been looking to bundle that in with the warm-up events and AO.

Not in WA, when I’ve been to WAFL matches TVW have used a small independant production company.

1 Like

Wimbledon I would imagine be reviewed when contract expires.

Its a good opportunity for Ten to pick up some events.

I reckon if they wanted to cut costs they could riskily wait until the rights are at a cut price rate like the Winter Games 10 covered, but that would be a risky preposition. I’d suspect Tokyo may perform better being in a friendlier time zone to Australia than Rio was.

2 Likes

Ten would be keen on the NFL rights as new owner CBS broadcasts AFC matches.

NFL can be shown on One like what 7 does with NFL on 7mate

I’m enjoying the coverage, with the freshened graphics.

Odd not seeing Simon Marshall nor Peter Donegan there.

Heaps of roving reporters/presenters.

Otherwise the usual marquee segments, mounting yard and locker room crosses, etc.

Bruce McAvaney in his absolute element :smile:

Edit:
Spectacular looking ‘Seven Sport’ promo with Bruce McAvaney just aired, anyone got caps/video (standing in front of a virtual megawall)?

2 Likes

Not that you’ll hear Seven mention this, but today’s Melbourne Cup is possibly* the first time that Sydney, Brisbane/Gold Coast and Perth (I’m pretty sure Melbourne & Adelaide would’ve been able to last year) will get to watch “the race that stops the nation” in High Definition.

*I say possibly, because I’m not sure if there were any HD broadcasts of the Melbourne Cup in 2007, 2008 or 2009 when Seven previously ran main channel content in 1080i.

2 Likes

Last years Melbourne Cup was in SD in Sydney, Brisbane and perth. This year it’s about time that the coverage goes into HD.

1 Like

For the horses?

1 Like

I’d go with the jockey’s room.

3 Likes

Matt hill calling the race at Melbourne Cup.

1 Like

I’d like to think this isn’t breaking news

1 Like

Yeah he replaced Greg Miles as the Victorian Metropolitan race caller in April

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Greg’s son Dan is working for ABC Grandstand in the mounting yard today.

I’m surprised 7 never went back to using their own caller after the debacle of Wayne Wilson in their first year of the contract.

1 Like

Ten used Dan Mielicki until Seven took the rights. Mielicki is now involved in Harness Racing

2 Likes

Seven have clearly changed things, new era (like Matt Hill) too?

As I noticed first time without Pat Welsh (veteran in the wagering ring) and also Glen Munsines from TAB?

So a lot of regualr faces missing today, a shame I reckon.

Good to hear Dan’s still involved in the industry, he also called for Southern Cross Ten for Bendigo and Kyneton Cup meets. I always thought it was a good point of difference for the casual viewer compared to the hard core in Sky. Before Dan there was Mcavaney himself who called a few, before him Clem Dimsey. There’s a good archive of Victorian racing on YouTube. The user escapes me for now but I suspect they were from the BTV6 area.

1 Like