Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Tony is a meteorologist presenting a detailed Sydney and NSW forecast. I don’t see the issue. A regular punter can’t tell

2 Likes

Given there’s no on screen interaction between the newsreader and weatherman and the onscreen presentation is different because Tony utilises a full green screen instead of the “box”, I think some will notice a difference. It shouldn’t be an issue if it doesn’t become a regular thing otherwise Nine will start claiming they’re the only commercial nightly news service presented fully live and local in Sydney.

Ray Wilkie was a Brisbane based meteorologist presenting a detailed Sydney and NSW forecast from Brisbane for TEN-10 back in the day. They turfed him fairly quickly when it became widely discussed in the Sydney press Ten’s weather report was coming out of Brisbane and wasn’t live.

2 Likes

I think your very much jumping the gun here. It’s literally been one night. No one’s talking about this being permanent at all.

2 Likes

As I stated in the post above:

Yes, I read that.

Yet still accused me of “jumping the gun”.

Yes I did. I wouldn’t even be thinking about the possibility of it being a regular thing. It’s been one night. Even if it’s an “if”.

I probably shouldn’t have even commented on the negatives of having part of the Sydney bulletin presented from Brisbane then even if it is for only one night. Sorry David. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

We shall continue to monitor the situation as the week progresses.

There was a great promo a few years ago (I believe by Rob McKnight when he was with 9) where they were promoting that 9 were first to the big stories.

From memory, they showed 9 reporting on the fact that a fuel price increase was coming and that 7 didn’t report it… then showed 7 only report the story after prices increased. The point was that 9s viewers were better informed.

Wouldn’t put it past a good promo director (if Tony presenting Sydney’s weather became a regular thing) to make a promo in the same theme. “While their (7’s) weather gets blown in from Queensland, we’re on the ground with your only local weather forecast… tonight and every night” or something like that.

Remember, 9 Adelaide also made a similar promo when 7 moved their arvo news to Victoria for a while.

Might be off-topic or unrelated but I can recall at least one time in 2007 when Sharyn Ghidella had to present the Brisbane news from Sydney; she was unable to fly home due to complications surrounding her pregnancy (at the time she was also reading the news on Weekend Sunrise). Sport was still presented from Brisbane, though.

It was still possible for the Brisbane bulletin to be produced from the Martin Place studio in Sydney because QLD was one hour behind NSW at the time.

Courtesy: AM News Videos

5 Likes

And Tony has featured on national bulletins and Sunrise previously.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if centralised weather is a thing in 2-3 years. In the ever changing environment, networks will be looking to save costs, and with the exception of meteorologists Tony Auden and Jane Bunn, every one else might need to watch their back. Do we really think there’d be a huge drop in ratings by having a meteorologist in another state present a three minute weather forecast?

1 Like

Sure it’s the meteorologists who are most at risk? The other weather presenters are all reporters as well. Surely that gives you more bang for your buck.

I’m saying they keep Jane and Tony, and remove the others who are not meteorologists.

Tony doesn’t use a green screen. He uses a large monitor that fills the screen.

2 Likes

Thanks. PQ looked too good to be a monitor. Perhaps I should clean my glasses. I maintain it will still be a noticeable difference to regular viewers given there is no throw before the break to the weatherman, no wide shot of the distinctive Sydney weather screen and no on screen interaction between the reader and presenter.

The biggest downfall of the Seven Sydney bulletin has always been the rapport between its presenters. Overton manages to bounce off whoever is on the set with him whereas Fergo’s exchanges always seem scripted and awkward. They won’t remedy that problem by following the WIN News formula of pre-record and pretend interactions between presenters. It’ll be hilarious if they continue to do this and the weather segment fails to play one night.

I’ve recently seen a few editions in regional Qld and it’s awful. They don’t even do a good job of pretending they are looking at each other.

Kill it with fire - this is one bad photoshop i saw on another website

Brisbane reporter Emily Arnold is leaving Seven.

Tuesday 28 June -

Blake Johnson is presenting Afternoon News in Melbourne with Natalie Yoannidis presenting sport today.

7 Likes