Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Wipe the floor clean upstairs. Bring in people who can work collaboratively in a team and have a vision and long term goal for the 7 news brand.

1 Like

No one looks at national figures, except the 7 PR team and 7 fanboys. The east coast is where the money is. And they are losing in all markets.

2 Likes

And that’s your problem there. Winning doesn’t exactly equate to something that is presentable. Adelaide and Perth hardly moves. The East Coast on the other hand are quite dynamic and at the moment Seven ain’t gaining any ground over there.

And surely total domination would be better than ‘dominating other than the majority of Australia’.

They’re letting rubbish content come out unchecked. The neo Nazi Blair Cottrell interview in 2018 was despicable. The article about the ethnicity of three English soccer players was a disgrace. The false report about the abductor of Cleo Smith. Not to mention all the rubbish articles about some stupid supermarket hack that has flooded 7News.com.au.

Not to mention the sensationalist and tabloid format of the bulletin with a right-wing skew. No one wants to watch a skewed news bulletin.

3 Likes

I’m told it’s a horrible place to work. Culture starts with management. Management at local level is not great. The list of people who have left since early 2020 is very very long from both sides of the camera.

5 Likes

The impression that I’m getting (based on what I’ve heard/seen so far in the media) is that management seems more keen to stroke their own egos by appointing talents that they believe are capable in their fields rather than established players who are popular within the industry and the audience.

I mean you just have to look at how Rebecca Maddern was overlooked by Seven Melbourne during her tenure after they dumped her from the afternoon news in 2013. She could’ve been the main presenter for the local afternoon news but they went with the rather boring Jacqueline Felgate instead whilst she was relegated to the pithy position of ‘Sunrise Melbourne Correspondent’. Had they treated Bec better she might still be at the network today.

And the fact that the recent reports of bad reports and content from the staff and the leaked emails from Emily Angwin about how talents are not being carefully looked after says it all. Management is selfish and only care about what type of Wagyu steak they want to have for the night.

4 Likes

Last time I checked, Adelaide and Perth viewers aren’t irrelevant…

If Nine News was winning nationally, they would be promoting that at every opportunity.

Yes they are - the Melbourne ratings battle has become quite tight this year

3 Likes

They’re only irrelevant when Seven wins them. If Nine wins them it would be considered to be a ‘pinnacle of domination’ for Nine (+ their PR teams).

But generally speaking Seven gets demolished by Nine regularly and the weekends are like night and day. I still think Seven’s weekends could be salvaged if they had some well known presenters (Kay McGrath and Jennifer Keyte for Brisbane and Melbourne) but it is what it is.

The biggest problem is the seemingly bloated arrogance and ego from the top who thinks that what they’re doing is resonating with viewers. What they’ll find (if they actually care about their viewers) is that it’s anything but resonating with viewers in terms of quality and presentation.

1 Like

Seven are currently winning both Saturday and Sunday in Melbourne for this ratings year. They are also ahead at 6.30 Mon-Friday.

2 Likes

This needs more context.

I don’t think all of Seven’s state bulletins can be criticised with the right-wing statement? Melbourne’s bulletin can be though - they’re the local team who aired that “neo-Nazi” interview.

I agree 7News.com.au definitely needs work on.

This was largely thanks to the AFL. Other parts that helped with weekday nightly wins were special COVID coverage with promos, and the reporting of protests that caught the attention of many.

It’s worth noting that Seven Melbourne lost competitiveness after the AFL season, and that saw Nine Melbourne technically picking up the ratings trophy for 2021.

For what it’s worth, Seven Brisbane does pretty well on weekends with Katrina Blowers. Though I think a lot of us miss Kay McGrath. Jennifer Keyte shouldn’t just be placed into the weekend seat. I’ve been saying for a while that she should be in a double header with Mitch - provides more competition against Hitch.

I’m not sure who that would leave for weekend bulletins in Melbourne. Either keep Mike Amor there or bring in someone like Tim McMillan - Angela Tsun will be fine presenting by herself in Perth.

1 Like

That interview was done on Sky News Australia in 2018.

1 Like

Hey now. Tim and Angela are fine where they are.

Blake Johnson used to do the weekend news in Perth. He would ideal for Melbourne. He’s been there long enough now and already presented plenty of times.

2 Likes

Other 7 news reporters that have left is Laurel Irving, Dean Felton and Brendan Donohoe . The more senior reporters that leave it means there is less experience Journos in the newsroom. Which could lead to more mistakes from 7 which we have seen a lot of over the past few months.

2 Likes

I’ve started noticing how robotic sounding Mitch in Melbourne is. Has it always been this way?

3 Likes

Just notice a report on Perth news
Mic flag had 7 Tasmania- rather then the 7 News on
Is This a tassie thing??

2 Likes

Yes - sometimes Seven News utilises reports from the Seven Tasmania crew. But because Seven does not necessarily have editorial control over Seven Tasmania, they don’t use the Seven News mic flags.

2 Likes
1 Like

Why is the media even there? Don’t give them any recognition.

4 Likes

Tomorrow and Friday’s sport on Seven Gold Coast will be read by …

7 Likes

Seven’s supposed regret with being unable to compensate David Brown is interesting in hindsight given they have news and sport/weather from different cities every day now. Turns out we were right- blatant cost-cutting.

2 Likes

Emma O’Sullivan (formerly of 10 News Melbourne) filed a report on 7 News tonight.

3 Likes