Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

How do you they have positive vibes??? It’s commercial television, they’re all very similar.

1 Like

I seem to remember someone saying that everyone at Nine Sydney are good friends and get along well together, while from the looks of things the staff in Seven Sydney and Melbourne at constantly at each other’s throats (as implied by the message above).

10, well who knows what’s happening there but judging by some of the recent decisions by management, seems to be going along well too.

Could’ve been @SEQTelevision? I think he’s visited all three Sydney commercial TV newsrooms before.

Personally I haven’t been into any of them but as an outsider, get the impression that Seven News has in recent years been making presenter/reporter choices largely based on what management like, rather than any of their viewers. At least Nine seem to realise they need the best presenting/reporting talent in the country (but even then, I still think there’s some areas they can/should be doing better in) fronting their Sydney & Melbourne news services if they’re to attract viewers.

I’ll try and sum up the two emails highlighted in the article - both were sent by executive news producer Lynne Scrivens:

• One was sent to female reporters essentially pleading for them to stop bitching and backstabbing.
  • The other email was in relation to the alleged negative attitude ‘many’ journalists had after being informed that they’ll be rostered on for longer shifts due to ‘The Latest’. After Scrievens suggested that "Obviously few of you actually want to get anywhere in the game?”, Emily Angwin responded by claiming that not only staff are feeling ‘increasingly devalued’ but:

“We all know network opportunities aren’t based on hard work, they’re based on favouritism"

3 Likes

Ouch… in someways Emily maybe right.

She was overlooked this summer as fill in presenter.

2 Likes

Well that explains to me anyway why Emily didn’t do any filling in presenting over December or January…

7 Likes

Nine’s Sydney newsroom isn’t much better, according to Sarah Harris when she spoke on Studio 10 roughly 2 years ago about the pressure to come back to the newsroom with a story, and being forced to participate in “Death Knocks”.

I mean, most news organisations would do that these days. Hardly a Nine exclusive (pardon the pun).

3 Likes

It’s not just in newsrooms, most company’s and organisations have these problems. It’s very common.

3 Likes

Yep. I read that article and immediately thought about interactions in my own workplace, particularly amongst young women. The bitchiness and back biting is incredible. It all sounds too familiar- junior staff members questioning directions from the boss and wanting to negotiate what duties/hours they will and won’t do. I spend a good chunk of my time diarising incidents to cover my backside should HR become involved.

2 Likes

I agree that it is a common occurrence throughout news organisations but it should still be at the discretion of the reporter whether they want to do that or not and that’s what Sarah was trying to say; she felt as though she didn’t have a choice when she was at Nine.

I am not surprised by the culture at 7 News Melbourne, May be just me but I feel like at times it’s evident on air.

As for every other network, let’s not act like they are all saints and free from culture issues. I would say all of them have issues, they aren’t just documented enough. So unless anyone here has inside information from a reporter on “there perception” of culture in the workplace lets take it with a grain of salt.

7 Likes

The only point to really remember here is that when you’re perpetually number two and chasing the leader - in this case N9N Melbourne - these issues are going to be amplified. Everyone is alive to the fact that you’re losing, and losing badly.

Often also losing senior women from the newsroom can be an issue - in this case, Jen Keyte was a big mentor in the 7 newsroom particularly for the young female reporters, so her departure is going to felt particularly acutely.

5 Likes

Friday & Saturday-

Matt Carmichael presented sport in Sydney.

1 Like

Lol nah

Katrina Blowers presenting News at 5 from Brisbane. Id say it wasn’t intentionally meant for WA viewers as there is currently a large amount of QLD stories.

4 Likes

5 Likes

12/02/2019:
Robert Ovadia is presenting Sydney’s afternoon news.

3 Likes

(14/2/2019) Susannah Carr is presenting the Afternoon News in Perth today.

2 Likes

Sam Jolly is on location at joondalup for the Valentines Concert at the Joondalup Resort