Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

This’ll sound odd (being out of prime time), but Ann Sanders?

You think someone’s manager is going to wait for a position to be advertised on seek? Plus I’m not sure the role would ever actually be advertised on seek…

Bill was never amazing anyway, and Max is rating as well or better (and is probably cheaper) than Bill.

2 Likes

Exactly. The bottles of wine (Penfolds perhaps) and expressions of interest would have been on the desk of Seven’s decision makers by early the next morning. You want something in the media, you push for it.

3 Likes

That’s a fair point considering the Sunday Herald Sun piece today said Kyete was offered a ‘flat’ contract (ie; at the same salary) whereas (allegedly) she’ll be paid slightly more at Ten (between $300,000 and $350,000)

5 Likes

That seems very odd. Almost the same salary at Ten but 3 days more work? Maybe she just wanted a change from weekends.

1 Like

Keyte had been out of contract since the beginning of the year, offered another contract for the same salary. There were shocked faces at Seven when she advised of her departure after 15 years.

That’s quite interesting to read

2 Likes

And to have some security.

Mind you, pretty obscene to pay somebody that much to read news. Wages are out of control in Australia and lifting the minimum wage contributes to overall increases in living costs.

2 Likes

How ironic that Seven could find $150,000 for Barnaby Joyce and family for one night.

6 Likes

Disagree, they’re paid what they are worth to the company. As is any good talent.

6 Likes

I agree in that sense, but when you sit down and think about that some jobs pay and not just in media, it’s out of control.

I don’t currently own shares in any companies, but if I were a shareholder I’d rather see a higher dividend.

Of course. But you have to spend money to make money. And I don’t say that flippantly. Better/more popular anchors lead to more advertisers lead to bigger profits for shareholders.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if a change from weekends was a factor, echoing others in recent years (Mel Doyle - early mornings, Lisa Wilkinson - early mornings, Andrew O’Keefe - weekends) each mentioned was a factor.

2 Likes

From a Sydney perspective, I don’t think there’s too many (if any) Seven News presenters/reporters that have a deep connection to the market like many on Nine do.

Although instead of being a solid second, Michael Usher really should be the main Sunday-Thursday newsreader.

Even though Ann Sanders has been at the network for 30 years and is probably a really nice person, unfortunately I don’t think she has ever been a massive ratings puller for Seven at 6pm. Mind you, I don’t know how the Sydney 4pm bulletins have been performing in the ratings recently.

I remember when Jodi Lee was at Prime7 (and also had a brief stint as a reporter for Seven News here in Sydney, from memory) - such a shame she’s tarnished her credibility as a journalist and an otherwise potentially bright media future by agreeing to do that! Oh well…

This is also true when it comes to Seven News Sydney: Robert Ovadia, Laura Banks, Bryan Seymour, Sean Berry and Liam Cox are probably among the most sensationalist reporters in Sydney TV news at the moment. Before being (thankfully) suspended and sacked, Josh Massoud also would’ve been on the list.

As for the presenters, I think Mark Ferguson’s newsreading style has been approaching the sensationalist side in recent years.

2 Likes

Same for Peter Mitchell. It’s like he’s yelling at you sometimes with the pitch of his voice getting higher and higher. He never used to be like that.

4 Likes

He used to be alright back in the days when they still had the old theme music. Now he’s like some liberal supporter that loves to say “African Crime Gangs” :weary::weary:

IMO, Fergo has always been a bit of a sensationalist.

1 Like

I’ve compiled a list of potential replacements based off reports and posts in this thread.

Vote Away!

• Bruce Roberts (WIN TV)
  • Jo Palmer (Southern Cross Tasmaina)
  • Blake Johnston (Seven Melbourne)
  • Helen Kaplos (Formerly at Seven Melbourne)
  • Emma Groves (Jumping around from network to network, Seven?)
  • Candice Whyatt (Ten)
  • Ian Henderson (ABC Melbourne)
  • Mike Amour (Seven)
  • Steven Quartermain (Ten Melbourne)
  • Michael Usher (Seven Sydney)

0 voters

Would Bruce Roberts even have name recognition outside of regional Victoria?

1 Like

Nope. And Ian Henderson is very unlikely to be interested surely. Also who is Jo Palmer?!

1 Like

I’m sure there are some tragic old Home And Away fans who still remember him from the 90s!

2 Likes

I’d be very surprised if any current ABC Newsreader was interested in going commercial, but that’s for another topic.

Weeknight presenter of Southern Cross News Tasmania, as mentioned above.

A quality newsreader from the very little I’ve seen, but if Jo had an interest in advancing her newsreading career outside of Tasmania (Jo has been at Southern Cross for over 20 years!) I suspect she would’ve done it by now.

Are we sure that’s the same Bruce Roberts?