Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Yeah, he started his temporary position from tonight.

There is only one person, and this is well known internally, that can hold the audience and is competitive against Hitch and Alicia. And that is Rebecca Madden.

Nothing against Jaq or Blake, and afl lead-in aside, the ratings will crash. Alicia/Hitch just too experienced and have significant pull, strongest and most watched news team. You can’t put up the above two, sorry just won’t work.

Time to get Bec back on Senior presenter and Anchor. Anyone know how long Bec is on contract for?

6 Likes

Hasn’t she stated that she’s got no interests in doing news anymore, and would prefer to persue her passion of sport?

2 Likes

I’m sure she’ll happily say the same about news if Seven offers her enough money.

They are still going to have a big six month gap though if she signed to Nine for 2 years. Might as well give Blake a few weeks on the desk and see how he goes before rushing into anything.

5 Likes

The ideal plan would be to have Bec on weekends now, which fits in well with young kids, then when Mitch retires Bec can take the helm full time. That’s where the next generation takes over weekends. If Mitch was to retire shortly that would result in a very weak team.

Nine could obviously screw Seven over and offer sport or something to her. Tennis no doubt playing a big role.

Does Seven have the time and patience putting up a less experienced and known anchor against Alicia?

3 Likes

Unless they throw the chequebook at Alicia?

They should have considered keeping Jen on until she is out of contract.

10 news isn’t exactly a threat to Seven News and is certainly not a direct competitor.

Keeping her on would have given them stability and keep a familiar face until they figure out what to do.

I’m not sure gardening leave was absolutely necessary in this case.

Question - why is it always a suggestion to poach someone from another network or pay the big $$ to lure someone back? Is that the only option? Is giving someone new a go never suitable?

2 Likes

I think Bec said that regarding her joining Nine News. Not entirely true I believe, just to keep her bosses happy

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine if Mitch quit. Their ‘best’ lead anchor would be Nick McCallum- only because of experience.

Nine would be crazy not to include Bec in its Tennis coverage given her association with Seven.

Absolutely. But if the want to gain ground on Nine they need a credible and recognisable face. These ‘new’ presenters should first read the Afternoon News for example, and regularly fill-in for the main anchor before they get the permanent position IMO.

1 Like

Oops. “:heart: 7 Melb” still airing with Jennifer Keyte :roll_eyes:

NB/ It is from 7flix last night, which is played-out differently. So assuming Seven’s promotions department edited a new one and passed that on to BCM, clearly MediaHub didn’t get the memo?

7 Likes

Chris Reason presenting Sydney’s news tonight

4 Likes

Blake Johnston on Seven News Melbourne tonight.

1 Like

Laura Dymock is presenting Brisbane’s weather this Saturday. She is pregnant so it will be interesting to see who will fill-in over summer.

Fiona Byrne is reporting in the Herald-Sun that Seven has received “a flood of applications” for the role Keyte vacated “including from readers at other networks”.

7 Likes

Candice Wyatt? :thinking:

2 Likes

What about Brett McLeod? Though I imagine Nine would fight tooth and nail to hold onto him given he’s in the hot seat to replace Hitch.

I’m not sure that succession planning should be the main priority here. They need to bring in an experienced, authoritative and recognisable face who can stand alongside Mitch rather than behind him. Would be a similar strategy to what they’ve done in Sydney.

Would be a great replacement for Jacquie at 4pm and as the main fill-in presenter. Being at Ten is holding her back, she needs to get herself a position at Seven or Nine even if it’s just reporting to begin with.

6 Likes

That’s a first? Won’t Seven just make their own, personal decision? Has there even been a call out of sorts, or maybe among the band of jorunos :thinking:

What news reader worthy candidates are there anyway (rules out ‘unknowns’), not contracted and available, let alone actually probably wanting it?

Yes, Candice Wyatt would have to be up there, was ‘brushed aside’ herself from presenting at Ten recently and has been at Ten for some years now. Jo Hall want to get back in the metro game maybe? Tony Jones LOL? Jacqui Felgate a most likely, tipped anyway if Blake wasn’t given permanent. I’d guess maybe some queries from presenters currently at Foxtel?

What about interstate, Melbourne has a track record of Sydney-siders doing stints, some stay and some return?

Nothing on Seek…

5 Likes

That’s not going to stop interested candidates proactively seeking such a role. It’s nothing new, I’m sure happens all the time in media land. People aren’t just going to sit back and wait to be asked

2 Likes

It seems like Seven aren’t prepared to fight very hard to hold onto even their best presenters when contracts come up for renewal. Even key Mon-Fri reader Bill McDonald was let go over money. Nearly all their news team would have contracts expire over the next few years. Would there be any that they would definitely try to hang onto?

1 Like