Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Yes, many have said this. But she has become popular down here.

I know that Jane Bunn is a qualified meteorologist, and sheā€™s probably a lovely person as well.

But from the little Iā€™ve seen of her weather presentation on Seven News Melbourne, I think Jane Bunn very well might even be above Belinda Russell-levels of over cheeriness! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

REALLY. Those comments about Sam Jolly are a bit harsh Imo.

5 Likes

As has been the case on here quite a bit of late, you are way off the mark here with these comments. Sam is 100x better at presenting than Jane.

1 Like

What I am trying to say is that I feel like the whole weather situation in Perth seems a bit disjointed at the moment. For me personally, I have not really warmed to Samantha Jolly being in that role ever since she was put there after Angela went to the weekend news. Like seriously, what background weather knowledge did she have before she was put in this position? I feel like all the other main Seven weather presenters from around the country have some kind of background weather knowledge and in the case of Tony, David and Jane, an actual meteorologistā€™s degree to prove that which is why they have that sense of authority about them if you know what I mean. Even Amelia in Adelaide has been presenting their weather for quite a long time and thereā€™s that sense of authority about her. I donā€™t think Perthā€™s had this since the days of Jeff Newman who I believe had this same sense of authority. Samantha Jolly may be a good presenter but I still canā€™t help likening the way she speaks for the weather as being like how Jane speaks. The content of Perthā€™s weather is just as bad, particularly on the weekends when I swear it is not even a minute long and Angela just races through it like itā€™s an afterthought. Iā€™m sorry for this big long rant but itā€™s how I feel and surely there are others out there who feel the same about at least a part of this and I just absolutely love everything weather related more than anything else and I hate how Seven News in Perth only seems to be butchering it. And by the way @Troiboi there is absolutely no need to be personal here. How dare you say something like that when I am just putting my honest opinion forward and almost everything I say is backed up with some sort of evidence. I donā€™t post things on here unless I think I am absolutely certain they are true

Unfortunately on this one I have to disagree with you. Look at Nineā€™s weather presenters. None of them are meteorologists. Does Amber Sherlock, Livinia Nixon, Belinda Russell, Justine Conway etc. know anything about weather (Iā€™m aware that Jess Braithwaite in Adelaide has a degree in meteorology, hence why I did not include her on my list)? Did Jeff Newman, Natalia Cooper and Angela Tsun have any previous knowledge in weather (OK Ange mightā€™ve been from the Weather Channel)? The point is the fact that you donā€™t NEED to be a meteorologist to be a weather presenter.

Another part is, is the weather presenter impacting the ratings in Perth. TVW has three of the best in the business in Rick, Sue and Baz. Sam might not be a meteorologist but she does have a decent news background, which is more than enough to keep her in this job. The point is, while meteorologists and people with weather experiences are good and a good point of difference to the rivals, the average viewer doesnā€™t give a shit about who presents their weather. As long as they present the info to the spot, theyā€™re good for the job.

If you think weather presenters play an important role in the ratings, maybe Nine Perth and TEN Sydney need to look at recruiting more people to do weather presenting.

Rant over.

1 Like

Chris Reason presenting Friday as well.

Look, I can see what youā€™re saying but isnā€™t it nice to have someone you can trust and knows what they are talking about to do the role and not just someone who reads from an autocue, like remember that time in Melbourne when the autocue failed for Brownie and he was still able to present the weather like a pro.

I highly doubt that would happen in Perth. The weather always feels like an afterthought in Perth like I know in Melbourne they have that section of the news where they cross to Jane earlier on before the end and she often gives some pretty good insight to the average viewer about how different aspects of the weather work and how meteorology works, such as the ā€˜feels likeā€™ temperatures which I really like seeing, letting her talent shine.

In addition to that, the weather presented around the rest of the country on Seven is, on average, much longer and in more depth than in Perth for sure. You couldnā€™t disagree with me there. This always means that whenever there is a major weather event in Perth, Seven are completely lost with what to do because theyā€™ve not got someone on their team they can turn to in this scenario. My pet peeve is when they leave it to a TT segment to talk about Perthā€™s weather when it most definitely belongs in the news and even how they go about it in this scenario with Sam and that god awful virtual background behind her then. Samantha Jolly would have been good initially as a weekend weather presenter which Seven Perth does not currently have and is the only place around the country to not have one by the way, and found someone else with more authority or kept Angela on as the main weekday weather presenter if you say she actually does have a weather background from working on the weather channel and never tried to groom her and make her a main presenter of the news itself.

To finish my long rant, in short, it is just a complete shambles in Perth but it still continues to rate highly because Perth people like me will continue to watch Seven regardless and hardly watch Nine, however it doesnā€™t change the fact that I believe these issues should be addressed.

David Richardson from TT is doing a 7 News report tonight

1 Like

Angie has been presenting the weather in Sydney for over a week now. Surely she deserves a break soon?

2 Likes

Edit

1 Like

With Sally Bowrey now back from maternity leave maybe she will fill in for Angie over the weekend.

2 Likes

Are you implying the Cash 3 and near-nightly lotto draws are less important than the weather? Get your sense out of here, some nerve you have.

2 Likes

What are you trying to say and how dare you talk like that! The weather most certainly is more important than the lotto, considering the rest of the country donā€™t get it in the news and Cash 3 is not even shown on TV anymore in Perth to my knowledge. I would like to see if you can prove me wrong on that but I think you are coming at this from the wrong angle.

Iā€™m sure @TheHubMan is only joking when he says that Cash 3 and Lotto draws are more important than the weather!

Re that clip from HarbourSideTV a few posts back: I think most would agree that those were the good old days (especially compared to what the news service is like in 2017) for Seven News Sydney!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Oh dear LOL.

1 Like

Blake Johnson presenting in Melbourne this weekend.

6 Likes

Really?

His profile seems to be growing in Melbourne.

2 Likes

Woohoo. No more Nick McCallum.

7 Likes