Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

I was thinking that Katrina should be there for the official handover too, though I think she will still be on holidays. The other two don’t need to be there, in my opinion.

I’m expecting a few pre-recorded messages of well wishes, maybe from Rod Young, the Premier, news bosses and the Morcombes. I know the weekly Flashback segment is already dedicated to her career.

3 Likes

I do, because reporters like Hugh Whitfeld & Paul Kadak who’ve moved to the overseas bureaus are reporters who are obviously no longer covering Sydney local news.

Similar deal with Nine’s Amelia Adams & Sophie Walsh along with other network reporters who’ve moved overseas.

1 Like

I expect Pat Welsh to read sport. Pat has been at 7 even longer than Kay. It’d be nice for him to say a few words too.

4 Likes

Today marks 35 years Since Susannah Carr and Rick Ardon presented there first news bulletin…Amazing

6 Likes

I’d say Rod might be there in person.

Very long time ago but I remember when Frank Warrick left Seven today tonight was pulled and they did an entire half hour.

For 40 years you’d expect at least the final 10-15 minutes dedicated to a farewell. It is Sunday against the tennis in non ratings and farewelling a Queensland icon. They can afford to make a bit of a fuss.

1 Like
9 Likes
10 Likes

Great to see some actual footage of sevens first national morning show TVAM. I don’t think it’s been posted anywhere before.

5 Likes

There was an opener posted years ago on the TVAustralia website (pre-YouTube, at least 15 years ago)

Been looking for years but I’ve come up empty no TV-AM footage I’ve seen.

Should get some caps for the achieves

Was TV-AM in any way similar to its unsteady British counterpart?

Saturday 25 January-

Jacqueline Felgate is presenting in Melbourne tonight.
With Sean Sowerby presenting sport and Estelle Griepink presenting weather.

Angela Cox is presenting 5pm News today.

4 Likes

Chris Reason is presenting in Sydney tonight.
Sally Bowrey on Weather.

3 Likes

I never saw it, but IIRC think it leaned more towards business-finance news. I reckon the only similarity to the UK channel was the name.

3 Likes

Caps from Kay’s penultimate bulletin:

14 Likes

I remember catching it once or twice just to see what the format was like. I grew up on Cartoon Connection but was in my late teens by that stage so wasn’t too gutted that the cartoons had been pulled. I was really excited by all the changes that were happening with Seven’s news programming as Skase set about remodelling Seven into an “infotainment” channel.

Skase’s vanity project was billed as the Australian Financial Review of television. Clive Robertson even dared to ask him if TVAM was an “ego trip” during an interview on Newsworld. It was dry, upmarket and aimed at a very niche audience. Seven was winning breakfast ratings by airing cartoons at the time yet they chose to go head to head with Business Today/Today and GMA knowing they’d take a ratings hit.

TVAM was in trouble before it even started airing. The launch was delayed because execs were unhappy with the pilots. There were rumours Kay was unhappy about being relegated to the news reading role after initially being told she would co-present with John Barton. By September, four months after launch, the EP had been replaced, morale at Seven was said to be low, ratings were dire and the sharks were circling.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 9.55.17 PM Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 9.55.44 PM

15 Likes

Kay was a bit cheeky tonight as she threw to Paul Burt saying, “now someone who looks good in a thong”. It was after the story about thongs being good for your feet.

3 Likes

Kay always does a pun after the lighter story before the weather. She is actually quite funny, something she probably is not really known for. Still really sad that she is leaving tomorrow.

4 Likes

Funny but not normally cheeky/risqué. I’ve heard Kay speak before and she’s quite good.

1 Like