Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Promos for Fergo have been airing for weeks now. The 32 weeks experience one. They haven’t stopped while Usher has been in the chair. Seven have never been the type to do “returning on this date” kind of promos have they?_

I thought that Seven have mainly been running promos with both Fergo & Usher on the set as the endtag lately.

And of course, there’s a fair few promos with a shot of their key presenters/reporters (Riley, Sanders, Wilson, McLaughlin, Ferguson, Usher, Brown, Asimus & Reason) on the set followed by the “Australia’s #1” ender with the animated Sydney Harbour at sunset.

I don’t think they did anything other than the addition of “Mark Ferguson returns Monday” liners at the end of their standard promos last year, but they did do a special one in 2015:

With Nine running their “First & Best In Sydney” promos this year complete with a new set preview, I think Seven will have to respond with something other than just “Mark Ferguson returns Sunday/Monday” liners at the end of standard promos this year.

1 Like

Probably don’t want to give viewers forewarning of Mr Beige’s return to try and avoid them turning the channel.

3 Likes

However, in saying that, Michael Usher hasn’t been performing as well as we expected in the ratings. I am sure Seven News Sydney is hoping for the same affect that happened to Sunrise, after their relaunch, to happen to 9 News Sydney when they launch their new set.

Not surprising. She is an excellent newsreader who Seven should have tried to acquire.

3 Likes

I’ve warmed to Deb presenting. She has the characteristics of an excellent news presenter that many simply doesn’t have (namely Mark Ferguson).

Personally I would’ve hoped they tried to get Georgie Gardner when Chris Bath left, but for some reason, I have a feeling that these talents will be wasted on Seven (like how Seven wastes their talents all the time with Mel Doyle and Chris Bath).

1 Like

lmao, because Sandra had the final word on that

4 Likes

I would like to say it’s great to see Jennifer Keyte, a female, middle aged, still presenting a flagship bulletin two nights a week, in one of the biggest markets, after around 15 years straight!

We all know the pressure on women once they get older in the television industry & she really bucks the trend.

I can’t think of another similar tbh.

I hope Seven keep her contracted for many years yet & fingers crossed (although may not happen) she’ll replace Peter Mitchell? :grin:

2 Likes

Sandra Sully. Jo Hall. Lee Lin Chin. Juanita Phillips. Susannah Carr.

Tracy Grimshaw on ACA.

11 Likes

Yep, though it will be interesting to see how long the current crop of 50-60 year old ladies can hang on. Will we see any of these faces still on our screens past 70?

1 Like

Whilst I acknowledge your post.

To be fair to mine:

•Sandra Sully: bulletin hardly anyone is watching.

•Lee Lin Chin: bulletin nobody is watching.

•Juanita Phillips: okay, I missed this one, agreed :+1:

•Susannah Carr: bulletin in a low-rating / small market.

•Tracey Grimshaw: not a flagship bulletin (and she was never going to be)

Nice of you to acknowledge Jennifer Keyte, but no need to diminish the achievements of the above ‘middle aged women’, a term they’d be less than thrilled to be referred to as. They’ve all been in the industry for over 25 years, quite a feat, regardless of gender.

4 Likes

I think you have taken my post the wrong way.

I used ‘middle aged’ to emphasise my statement about Jen.

And I made those comments about the others (excluding Juanita Phillips) to highlight even more how impressive that is for Jen.

:slight_smile:

I haven’t got the time to really tear your bizarre comment to threads, but I’ll point out that Ms Carr has been presenting Seven News for over thirty years and last I checked, is about to set a world record for longest on-air partnership for a news presenter with her colleague Rick Ardon.

That’s pretty damn impressive. And not that age should come into it, she’s got a few years on Jen Keyte.

11 Likes

I’m not at all ignoring that & Susannah Carr is a legend in her own right :grinning:

But I was being fair to Jennifer Keyte, for these important reasons:

•Perth is NOT a competitive market & hasn’t been for a very long time (i.e.) Seven News own the town

•Jennifer Keyte would have felt under pressure for many years, like most older women on television in Sydney & Melbourne. So a testament to her!

NB/
This is not at all being negative to Suasnnah, but regarding the above, I don’t think she’s ever been or ever felt under pressure.

Credit where credit is due Bort :+1:

1 Like

Susannah is 9 years older then Jennifer
Sue celebrates 2 milestones this year she will be 65 in July
And will break the record with Rick Ardon for the longest Duo Presenting news
Amazing 32 years presenting 7 news in Perth
Sue Car Legend of a Australian TV. imo

2 Likes

Don’t forget Ann Sanders.

1 Like

I had forgotten Ann Sanders but I don’t think she passes Luke’s criteria of success

1 Like

By far the silliest comment I’ve read on this site.

…and I read my own comments sometimes!

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:1758, topic:149”]
But I was being fair to Jennifer Keyte, for these important reasons:
[/quote]Yet all those others you listed (Grimshaw, Lee Lin Chin, Sully) have impressive milestones and career achievements of their own. All three are known nationally in some form or another - Keyte would be barely known outside of Melbourne. Meanwhile Sully is famous for her late news, Chin is a fashion icon and living meme, and Grimshaw has had national exposure on the Today Show and then ACA, both of which are/were ratings leaders nationally!

Waving away the achievements of others to praise Keyte is the pinnacle of Seven/Melbourne fanboyism.

8 Likes

Another two female newsreaders of a certain age to add to the list: Kay McGrath and Jane Doyle. Both having long careers in their respective markets, not just at Seven but Doyle had previously been at the ABC and McGrath at TV0.

4 Likes