Seven News Content and Appearance

Channel 4 in the UK gets a lot more viewers than SBS does here and I am not sure if the UK has a direct comparable channel on free to air. I always wondered why it’s government owned when it is a very commercial operation as they also have the BBC as well. I don’t think Channel 4 receives any government funding at all unlike the SBS. They do have certain charters to keep however and the government did consider selling it, but if it goes like their water utilities over there it’s probably better it stay government owned.

1 Like

Channel 4 UK doesn’t receive any taxpayer money.

Anyone catch new opening shot in Melbourne?

Not new. They’ve been using this type of shot for a while? Unless the zoom at the beginning is new.

8 Likes

Oh. Ok. Don’t think I’ve seen a sweeping zoom like that before. But fair enough.

1 Like

Nothing about the multiple developments re Israel in the first 30 mins tonight?

It’s old news, people don’t want to hear about it, much like Ukraine. SO it gets pushed down the rundown.

1 Like

Ukraine did get a run last night. Everything I’ve seen suggests there is huge interest and engagement in Israel/gaza. Last night there was heaps to report; the invasion of Rafah, the humanitarian crisis that will result from the crossing being closed, US suspending weapons, Australia changing position on a Palestinian state, the geopolitical shifts from big players in the region, the student protests growing all over the world. There was even the pop culture & Eurovision angle that they could have run.

To not cover any of it, not even a one-liner in the international section, is bizarre.

2 Likes

There was no mention here in Adelaide, although that could be due to the fact we only had a 38 minute bulletin due to AFL starting earlier (only 20 minutes of news, then 8ish minutes of sport, followed by puff piece and weather).

2 Likes

Brisbane opening

4 Likes

100% agree. But commercial news (esp. down under) is very insular.

Thinking back to when this current war in Gaza started, on the day the first ceasefire protests took place in NZ… TVNZ led their news with a rugby match that was 12 hours away, and sent the presenter to an empty stadium. I wouldn’t mind but the match itself was held on another continent!

For international news your best bet is probably to watch ABC or the foreign channels. Al Jazeera and CNN are a good mix because they each sort of have opposite slants on the coverage, so you get a good cross-section of perspectives.

1 Like

Seven broke into programming. ABC News had some coverage.

4 Likes

Saw this on insta. Was 4pm national today? Or is this normal?

3 Likes

4pm looked to be standard local editions.

1 Like

Melbourne is always liked that:

3 Likes

Seems that they updated the lighting in the left hand corner - deep red colour now, looks nice. Would look good if the rest of the set used it too.

1 Like

Because the Gold Coast news is played out from the same control room as Brisbane, which means they can’t run both bulletins at the same time. Nine’s GC bulletin use to have it’s own control room for some time, but since they did the upgrades in 2017, both GC and Brisbane share the same control room. GC old control room is now for NBN and Darwin during DST.

Regional QLD is different because the studios and facilities existed when Seven bought the station in 1995 - they’ve obviously done some upgrades. They also need to do pre-recording for all the different regions as well.

1 Like

And regional Qld want their news at 6pm it seems, not 5.30. They’ve had 5.30 in the past.

1 Like

When was this?