Seven News Content and Appearance

Big improvement. Not really suited for two readers imo

Back from break

12 Likes

That is a LOT of dead space.

A podium would look good there on the left.

3 Likes

Not a podium but a vertical panel would.

4 Likes

That angle is extremely awkward. The desk looks so thin…

1 Like

There’s so much space. Why didn’t they copy the Sydney set to the T?

3 Likes

I agree with most of the critique above but, I think we were all expecting Martin Place 2.0 and we received Everleigh Jr. it has its flaws but a massive upgrade nonetheless!

14 Likes

Who is the designer behind this family of 7 set. Or would seven be doing it in house?

5 Likes

7 Likes

Wonder if the video wall is made from panels from the old MP set

Highly doubt that, they’d be all new panels.

1 Like

Be interesting to see what the Melbourne set will look like when they move out of Docklands.

Brisbane has had a history of “copying” Sydney’s set, almost as immediately as the Harbour City implements it, with the notable exception of 2012-23. For instance, here is an opener from April 2002:

Courtesy: matt01video

And here is a closer of Seven News Sydney from either December 2001 or January 2002, when ATN introduced the blue TV wall set (note the Today Tonight opener with Melissa Doyle):

Courtesy: NewsWeary

Perth would later join them in having the blue TV wall set from February 2004, while all markets would use the twisted wood/metal set in the second half of the noughties (Perth implemented it in 2010) - of course it was Sydney where it was first seen.

2 Likes

Only thing I’m not a fan of is the cover up strip for the electrical cords running to the desk.
Raising the whole set on a slight platform would mean the cords could run underneath.
Just my suggestion…

Edit: … and just watching the story of the young man who visited the new set, it was obvious how that strip could easily be a trip hazard when the hosts move around the set changing positions in somewhat of a hurry.

4 Likes

11 Likes

It has a lot more height than Sydney’s set and doesn’t have the clutter of unnecessary platforms.

I think I might like this set better :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

You guys can be very hard to please at times.

Looks great!

22 Likes

Segment showed the 2 weeks construction phase.

12 Likes

A great story to show off the new set!
Max said 14 metres of screen and the old set was 13 years old. 2 weeks to build.

7 Likes

Makes me wonder - how many studio rooms/spaces does BTQ have?

Other than a small platform for the presenters to stand on, I think it’s a massive improvement.

I think it’s very likely Melbourne will adopt the same look next year.

5 Likes