Seven News Content and Appearance

They only started using that shot on the left hand side recently. The left side is the camera of Docklands, and the right is from Hamer Hall overlooking Fed Square. They are two seperate feeds that Seven are trying to make look like one live shot. If you take that away it’s like having two videos lined up next to each other.

Prior to this they had the hideous angled blue fake graphic on the left.

1 Like

Oh wtf I never noticed that. That is stupid. Why not just use one long shot?!

1 Like

Sydney 4pm:

Sydney 6pm:

6 Likes

Early News:

9 Likes

Well spotted. The updated version is how the convention centre looks now, and has done for a number of years, I’m guessing the first shot was taken when the building was being built and they’ve updated it to reflect the finished building perhaps. It’s amazing how Seven obsess over the tiniest of details like this and their fonts, without making any real meaningful change.

3 Likes

It’s seven.

To me it wouldn’t be hard for them to get a panoramic live shot of the Yarra. But they chose not to…

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to do this to everyone, but this is something that really irks me. Be warned though, once you see it, you’ll never unsee it.

The elements in the title cards aren’t even close to being centred properly.

I’ve isolated the elements (poorly) and overlayed them, re-centred over the top of the samples. The Logo is about 8 pixels to the left of centre and the Morning News / Early News titles are about 4 pixels to the right of centre.

Adobe has tools for this, so excuses are limited.

8 Likes

I’m really liking this refresh. Looks cleaner, clearer, crisper…

4 Likes

Saw the new package first time tonight, overall it’s a good tweak. The return of diagonal elements is great, it works particularly well with the headline graphics and the on-screen transitions (the old transitions were ruined when they tacked on that “woosh” swipe with vertical lines).

I’m hoping this was an inexpensive tweak and we’ll see a proper graphics update in the next 12 months. If it’s a short term thing this package looks good but after 4 years of the same package with relatively minor changes it’s time for something new.

7 Likes

Agreed. It’s good as a temporary package, very clean, no unnecessary garbage. The angled glass looks SUPER CLASSY, I cannot get-over the transitions they are WAY better than the previous ones.

Though in saying that, the supers are ehh.

8 Likes

Maybe they’ll save a proper relaunch for TOKYO 2020NE

1 Like

I agree. But given Seven’s current financial position and their track record at branding their news over the past decade, it wouldn’t overly surprise me if we’re stuck with this look for a few years especially since the logo was changed to go along with the slightly refreshed graphics.

Capped from 7plus so quality not brilliant.

Not sure if the other cities still use OTS (I know RQLD does) but the new ones don’t look too bad in Adelaide.

The sport backdrop has been used for a while but it fits right in with the new package.

None of the mic flags have been updated just yet. This one in particular is showing its age.

4 Likes

Something tells me they have stopped making ‘official’ OTS in their packages.

2 Likes

I’ll agree.
That OTS certainly doesn’t look like it fits with the rest of the package. Made in house by the Adelaide team?

Definitely.

1 Like

Before I start, let me make it clear that I personally think ABC News NSW is by far the highest quality of all local bulletins received here…even On-Air Presentation wise it’s really improved since the new set & HD upgrades.

I suppose 10 News First Sydney is OK (except for that overly eccentric weather presenter who yes, is even worse than the main two on Nine) but 90 minutes from 5pm to 6.30pm is just far too long for me. Also, it’d be nice to see more elements of 10 News First in native HD one of these years but of course I won’t be holding by breath for that!

It’s probably debatable as to whether or not this perception is true, but as a Sydney viewer I somehow feel less informed/in-tune with my own city & metropolitan area watching Seven News than Nine.

The fact that Seven News have lost so much of their best talent in recent years hasn’t really helped. Sure there’s still a few good presenters/reporters in the Martin Place newsroom, but Nine seems to have a deeper talent pool in the Sydney market possibly to the point that they have two or three good presenters/reporters for every one of Seven’s.

While both of “the big two” have made their fair share of questionable content decisions, I’d probably hold Nine News Sydney in a higher regard for the fact that they at least occasionally produce/air “Special Reports” of some journalistic standards (Chris O’Keefe has come up with some scoops which are very near ABC quality levels, for example) compared to the majority of Seven’s which are like something you’d expect to see on Today Tonight.

Both Seven and Nine have anchors outside screening clinics.

5 Likes

Not sure how much context these comments lend to 7 News presentation, but I believe your point about 10NF HD ENG were addressed in earlier posts with the relevant threads.

I think editorial direction and the reporting ranks go hand in hand with this one. Does 7 have a state political editor anymore? What about the other beats left cold? They’re using younger reporters to chase after more enterprising topics that don’t necessarily require deep roots in Blacktown or the City. Hit-runs and smash-dashes are prevalent. In a similar vein, 10 Sydney had a transpo beat. Gone now.

I also go against the notion of 6pm news in 2020 as requiring of “the Hendo touch.” Much of live broadcasting requires ad libbing and fudging sometimes. I don’t think Overton is a particularly connectable personality. But 9 certainly do have a few of the old guard - even moreso now with newspapers and radio - that 7 frankly does not. And with that old guard comes knowledge of what their neighbors would like to know. Content is king.

3 Likes

The sport full screens are horrible