Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

The glass panel effect infront of the Opera House on this shot needs to be animated with “SEVEN NEWS” sliding leftwards. It seems a bit too stale and stuck compared to the animated plasma on the right.

Also slight lol moment @ Mel’s face getting in on the shot there. The camera quickly moved to get her out of the frame and you could see Mark smiling.

8 Likes

That looks so much better. I would however still reduce some of the blue by changing the light blue to white or red. On the sports side of the set I would have a new room/control room backdrop and keep the opera house on the other side.

4 Likes

If those new side panels are actually screens (as the OTS graphics for Sport would suggest), then surely there should be some animation to keep things looking fresh?

Also can we agree that the choice of imagery for the Sport backdrop is a bit lame? Nine definitely have the right idea by using a slightly out of focus image of ANZ Stadium as their Sydney sports backdrop (similar deal in the other markets with the MCG for Melbourne, Suncorp in SEQ and so on), because it’s a major venue in the market which most locals are quite familiar with.

5 Likes

Any guess on how big the plasma is behind the presenters? 75 inch?

When did the 4pm news switch to using the Harbour Bridge side of the liveshot rather than the Opera House side?

I don’t think they do them by inches rather by panels and it’s a custom monitor.

1 Like

Each of the screens on the old three-screen set were 103” plasmas.

The ones on this set are all significantly larger than that (and aren’t standard ratios, they are made up of small 10” squares which are stitched together to make a seamless screen to fit whatever space you are working with).

These are huge screens! You have to remember that the desk is 3-4m in front of the main backdrop and although it looks small on TV the whole studio is bigger than an average size house.

4 Likes

Yes well lots do

They also cost a lot, they probably spent more money on these screens than they did on the entire Perth set.

3 Likes

Minor camera blooper for the opening story in Melbourne tonight.

5 Likes

Morning News:

Sydney 4pm:

Sydney 6pm:

5 Likes

…and here’s where Seven News Sydney got the idea for this style of presentation from:

Not entirely dissimilar, is it? :wink:

1 Like

To be fair, I think Seven was the first with this form of presentation with their new set (though Nine had full screen OTS for a while on the old set) before Nine’s new set.

6 Likes

Aside from the usual overload of blue, average use of side screens etc I think a very simple LED strip along the front of the platform could help add a bit of depth to the set -

5 Likes

Am i the only one who doesn’t get it?

3 Likes

Not so much graphics wise, but how the shot is framed to include a bit of the desk’s tabletop glass.

I don’t really think this should be a game of who stole what off what or what looks the same even though its a desk… Both have taken something from each other both in their winning and losing years and if we want to be really picky the whole Australian news broadcast landscape is completely based off American broadcasts.

On another note, Perth opened with both Rick and Sue both presenting a story on the Claremont Murder case. While the weather city backdrop has been updated.

2 Likes

Yeah…I’d probably be saying exactly the same thing if Nine News Sydney were to introduce an element of their On-Air Presentation which is obviously inspired (at least in part) by something from Seven. But since Seven have quite obviously looked to Nine for most of their On-Air Presentational ideas for the Sydney market in recent years, that’s what I’m focusing the spotlight on right now.

If Seven News wants to become #1 in the Sydney ratings, they need On-Air Presentation that is distinctively different to the competition (as the case was during the Roscoe era) rather than doing as much as possible to copy Nine News’ On-Air Presentation without infringing their trademarks.

While I can’t argue with this…

…I would’ve said the Australian news broadcast landscape has a mix of North American (commercial networks) and European (ABC/SBS) with a splash of local originality influences myself.

2 Likes

The difference is that Seven actually use motion to make theirs look a bit better (slowly zooming in as Mark reads the story intro), Nine just lock the camera on this tight ots for the entire intro - a bit lazy if you ask me.

8 Likes
4 Likes