Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

On Perth tonight, Rick presented the Weather from the desk instead of Samantha Jolly tonight (I imagine she was absent) and read at a much slower pace than it usually is, one of my gripes with the bulletin was Weather was too fast, and there was a proper sign off with Rick saying along the lines of “That was Seven News up to the minute, we hope you’ve enjoyed our company, now here’s Monica with Today Tonight.” with a soft fade transition and not a abrupt cut like usual. no Sue for some reason, but I can’t recall when the last time there was a sign-off on a normal night!

It was much better presented, I find it was way too fast for their majority of older viewers, it felt much more detailed and clear to understand, all we need now is the return of dual sign offs like it was in the 2000s and early 2010s. If Samantha presents at this pace and throws back to Rick and Sue for a proper sign-off, it would be a much better cross to Today Tonight IMO. Hopefully Seven Perth sticks to this! :+1:

9 Likes

Wow so in depth! Do you work as a studio director at 7 by any chance?

3 Likes

Hopefully perths new director reads this forum :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thats the first bit of personality I’ve seen from him since they scrapped the closer.

2 Likes

From The Latest thread

3 Likes

Just a regular viewer, but I have ambitions to work within the industry :slight_smile:

Thought I’d post an example of a recent 7 News Adelaide evening update and promo, and also the updated social media promo shown coming out of the break before weather. And some other random bits and pieces (e.g. News/TT Segue, Christmas Star competition winner…which could go into a separate video but hey it is late :stuck_out_tongue:). The YouTube description has timestamps if you want to skip ahead.

3 Likes

We can agree with that. Even with only half the amount of airtime they’ve got now, Seven News Sydney still managed to air dubious lead stories like the arrests of Brian McFadden and Joel Madden in 2011 & 2013 respectively.

Going back a bit further in time, I seem to remember reading posts from @TV-Expert on the old forums which detailed some of the dubious quality Seven News Sydney lead stories possibly even while Roscoe was still the main presenter, such as the Oscars and something like a truck crashing into a front yard while Nine had content (can’t quite remember what unfortunately) which was far more worthwhile.

But all things considered, I still miss the old days of Seven News Sydney before most of their good presenters/reporters left. Sarah Cumming & Talitha Cummins were never used to their fullest potential, while there’s no true in-market competition for Mike Dalton on Nine since Damien Smith left Seven.

1 Like

Turns out that sign-off and Weather presentation in Perth was a one-off, back to the normal format with Amelia Browne Broun tonight. No throw back to Sue either (Rick was absent tonight) it was just “Now with Today Tonight here’s Monica.” Oh well.

1 Like

That would be Amelia Broun

1 Like

Corrected, thanks. Anyway, a shame it wasn’t a tweak going forward, I know it’s a small detail but it would’ve been nice since they used to sign-off for Today Tonight this way towards the late 2000s.

EDIT: Although we didn’t get a proper sign-off tonight, there was just a News Update with Sue, with her saying at the end, “And from all of us at Seven, have a great evening!” so that’s better than nothing.

Rick has lots of personality throughout the bulletins. Often making a comment or remark after a story when they are back to the presenter.

1 Like

New promo aired in Brisbane tonight

2 Likes

Brisbane accidently aired the double-header VO despite Sharyn anchoring solo.

2 Likes

1 Like

40 second promo was seen on the Afternoon News today.

7 Likes

I have to say I am very impressed with that Promo. It would be nice to see a bit more of Kay though.

4 Likes

A really lovely promo. It lacks the sensationalism that seems to dominates Nine Brisbane’s promotions campaign and I think THAT is why they are number 1.

I agree about Kay; she doesn’t even appear! I still find this ignorance strange give she is a main factor in Seven being able to claim the following in the promo:

• “Our peole working for you…” - Kay donates endless hours of her time for charities and campaigns.
  • “decades of experience…”- As BTQ’s longest serving member, I think that speaks for itself.
  • “most trusted news service” Kay has the gravitas like no other in that newsoom and, it should be noted, her weeekend bulletins have been number one since 2013 (when they were losing weeknights).
8 Likes

Angie Asimus presented the late night national update out of Sydney tonight. I thought they were all presented out of Perth now with Susannah Carr?

1 Like

Well I guess if Seven are going ahead with producing “The Latest” from Sydney, they may as well do the later evening news updates here as well.

1 Like