Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Who?

1 Like

2 Likes

Oops.

2 Likes

It was the same deal on 9 Melbourne tonight too.

I flicked over to Jane for the weather and noticed they finally removed the image of Bill McDonald and Sharyn Ghidella from their website graphic at the end of the bulletin. Apologies if it’s been mentioned before - but it had the former QLD team in the image for a very long time after Bill departed the network.

13 Likes

It is a Melbourne bulletin; much more relevant than interstate weather.

Even Brisbane replaced it before them!

3 Likes

As first story and live cross? Possibly the opposition leader resigning should have been ahead. I’m big AFL fan, but Melbourne’s commercial media assuming a former player (decent one) and coach (not so decent) with baggage being knocked off his bike and being checked out at hospital is the lead story on the 6pm news is disgraceful.

5 Likes

Agreed.

Sure, politics isn’t always a popular commercial TV news lead story. But the resignation of an opposition leader (be it federal or one for the relevant state) should always be item #1 on all networks unless something extremely significant overtakes it in importance IMO.

2 Likes

Sydney’s 6pm news covering the “super storm” in Sydney.

1 Like

I don’t have the Melbourne bulletin to compare the rundown. I was saying that an AFL story should be ahead of either the Sydney storm or Brisbane’s bushfires; which I think was suggested. I know the matter of the story is trivial though.

Sydney weather yes, Queensland bushfire maybe not, that’s a story of national significance. The Hird story deserved a brief mention later in the bulletin.

3 Likes

From August 8, 2016 - only lasted a very short period of time before they were tweaked to the considerably more legible (and smaller) ones we have now:

Just taking a look at that one with Brownie, you can imagine how it might’ve clashed on lighter backgrounds and be hard to read in compressed SD.

5 Likes

Ah I thought you were referring to the reporter supers. But yeah, those graphics are gross. Glad they didn’t last long (personally I would scrap the presenter supers altogether).

1 Like

Morning News this morning started with “Live from our Sydney Headquarters, this is Seven’s Morning News with Sally Bowrey” - haven’t heard the Sydney Headquarters on the morning news before

4 Likes

They used it on the 5pm News on Sat when Rob Ovadia anchored.

1 Like

No mention of late breaking news regarding Michael Kroger stepping down after the Lib’s election debacle on the 8:30 update (made it onto the very end of ABC news), looks like Mike had an early night.

Over winter, they have the 4pm news presenter stay back on Friday nights. I suppose when the AFL isn’t on, it’s not worth it?

I recall a few years ago Mitchell got caught out prerecording, look like nothing’s changed.

Yes, I remember that well, Rebecca Maddern started producing live updates soon after.
Peter Mitchell then (started) staying back an extra hour during the evenings. Friday and Saturday seem to be the exception.

Nine Melbourne usually close up around 9pm. Don’t get me started on 10 Melbourne.

2 Likes

Seven just had a (near) live update from Perth with the latest news. This is becoming more common and makes sense having late night updates presented from the west.

1 Like

I see, I missed it, flicked over after Blake. But yes, makes sense to use Perth.