Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

It’s been the same since the 2015 Set Relaunch! It’s disappointing that Seven Perth has cheapened up on the Set just because they are a News ratings juggernaut in Perth, hopefully the next time it is updated they have an updated set, or at least a better virtual one, but not holding my breath. It feels like polish to the bulletin went out the window once the move from Dianella to Osborne Park. :confused:

1 Like

Seven News Perth is probably to the Australian TV news landscape this decade what Nine’s Sydney & Melbourne bulletins used to be - outdated production/presentation standards until genuine ratings competition forced them to step things up!

1 Like

Perth’s bulletins’ (Afternoon and Nightly) just feel so chopped up and rough at times, there doesn’t seem to be any transition between segments, it just kinda cuts abruptly it, there are often technical mistakes, and it boggles my mind why Rick and Sue don’t get a sign-off unless it’s something for a special event like the Commonwealth Games coverage this year…

I know sign-offs are a little thing, but when they’ve both been going for a duo for over 30 years now and have both surpassed the previous World Record holders, you’d think they’d deserve one, don’t you? :confused:

2 Likes

Also, how often have they presented as a pair in the same studio this year? Plenty of big stories to warrant OBs with one of the anchors, for sure, but it seems like I hear about a lot of nights where one is presenting solo, then the other presents solo for the next weeks.

They have pretty much been there most of the time this year, I do recall perhaps last year Rick was away for 6-8 weeks or something . They also alternate and fill in the afternoon news which in essence is 2 30 minute bulletins so that could warrant some extra time off during the week if needed.

When you have been presenting the same broadcast for over 30 years I do think they deserve a little more time off.

3 Likes

How is that bogan? Aren’t they allowed to promote their own service?

Is that any surprises though?

Can’t wait for the day Seven and News Corp merge and Nine’s serve on that.

2 Likes

Oh god no! Keep the Murdochs away!

On air?

It’s kinda funny they are targeting Nine… yet they did the same thing with “The West”. Now they have flipped it. If anything sounds like sour grapes they couldn’t approach Fairfax.
Reminds me of the time when @blackbox started doing the 9stream live and all the Seven dinosaurs on Twitter were bagging the shit out of it and how social media was a fad.
Nine then had a massive social media presence and were a leader in the field Seven freaked and had to play catch-up and only became significant within the social media landscape the last few years. Yet they were so complacent and that they didn’t need it.
It’s funny.
I can’t see Seven remaining “independent” they bag it now, but give it a year or two and they will do the exact same thing. It’s inevitable they will be forced to innovate even if the dinosaurs don’t want to, the business as it stands isn’t viable. You see it based off the content they produce. All cheap reality and a few tele movies. Compare that to 5-10 years back when you had a mix. Now they can’t afford to run a full length drama.

7 Likes

Reminds me of what Nine was like in the start of the new millennium, while Seven was the innovative one back in the day.

1 Like

Ahh yes, I remember a particular Seven News Sydney reporter (who I believe is no longer on our screens) really bagging the idea. If that tweet is still up, someone should re-post it!

I agree, Seven will probably eventually be brought out by either News Corp or (less likely, but perhaps the preferred scenario by most on this forum) NBC Universal.

Although they were complacent with their on-air product and lost it to Seven during the course of the 2000s, didn’t Nine actually have a very good online presence with ninemsn back in the day?

From what I remember, Seven experimented with a few online brands (seven.com.au, i7, i7AOL, ALO7,) until settling with Yahoo7 which stuck around until fairly recently.

I might be the only one but I could actually see that happening in the future, with Ten being the first of this perhaps ‘trend’ networks like NBC may swoop if an event was to occur. Although Seven does appear to be in a strong financial position at the moment? however, as we have seen with Ten anything can happen in the space of a few years.

Nine has to be commended for there presence online, being from Perth I always turn to Seven on TV. However, imo the Nine News website is fantastic and they seem to have got it right with the social media offerings which is something networks like 7, 10 and ABC are now adopting. Hopefully the move away from Yahoo might make sevens news website offering acceptable

Exactly! And looking at they Yahoo7 relationship, their product with their combined resources is far inferior compared to Nines News site. Now you see Seven jumping out of the Yahoo relationship and basically doing a Nine and yet again, playing catch-up.

Anyway if Peter Mitchell was bagging it on air, that’s really disappointing.

I was curious and had to go back and find this bagging out. Viewed in context, it’s quite ho-hum. It was the intro to a voice over report on 7’s AGM and just attributed the quote to Kerry Stokes.

It wasn’t the best way to intro a voice over on the network’s AGM, but funnily enough it was also the headline for Fairfax’s report.

Also, how ominous does Mitch sound at the end when he reads: “he also warned of a $30 million savings drive.” :neutral_face:

1 Like

A news story!?..that’s just crap! So pathetic!

I don’t think it’s as malicious as mentioned, but it definitely was a spin story that is better off not being on. I certainly cringed when I saw it last night.

1 Like

More often than not the most successful innovators are not first to market. Just because nine are going before seven does not mean seven are dinosaurs.

Look at MySpace then Facebook. Nokia then Apple etc

1 Like

SAS Adelaide’s sport telecast van seen today at the equestrian events in Victoria Park. The paintwork is surprisingly in fair condition.

A recorded announcement also advertised the 6PM news with Jane Doyle and John “Riddle”. :joy:

10 Likes

2003 - present logo, with the slogan that lasted until 2002 and the sport logo used in the early 2000s as well!
I actually genuinely thought that it was a restored van on display at a historical machinery show, it looks so old!

6 Likes

As an 80s-era Isuzu JCR, it wouldn’t look out of place in one :joy:

1 Like