Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Should become permanent in my opinion :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Did 7 at any point declare it’s broadcast rights to the event?

2 Likes

Seems the curse has spread, Perth seems to be having major technical issues tonight, no super graphics during the opening, and no OST Graphic either:

2 Likes

Seems to have been fixed by the 2nd story.

1 Like

Was fixed tonight

2 Likes

It was actually fixed last night :wink:

1 Like

Have a question
When news services promote a exclusive story how long is it a exclusive

For as long as other stations do not pursue their own reporting on that story.

That said, “Exclusive” has been abused by multiple stations on the same “get,” be it a story or a guest, sometimes nearly simultaneously. It’s most painfully apparent in morning television.

5 Likes

Seven’s Afternoon News Queensland opened this afternoon with the weather warning siren and a tornado warning, with a cross to Tony Auden

5 Likes

Could you please upload a video!

1 Like

Video:

The same thing happened at 4:30 for the re-opener with the siren and cross to Tony

9 Likes

Advice on Seven News coverage of royal tour.

1 Like

Have to admit, poor use of the SEWS in this instance

2 Likes

Wow haven’t heard that sound for years!
Used to hear that all the time when I was a kid growing up in Qld. It was used every hour for their cyclone warnings.

6 Likes

I should mention that, along with winning the year at 6pm, Queensland’s Afternoon News also claimed the yearly ratings win- with Nine only winning about 4 weeks.

6 Likes

Definitely should have been used across the region affected.
But probably shouldn’t have been used on a statewide bulletin.

Nowadays it’s used nationwide for any major emergency situation, including cyclones, tornadoes, bushfires, tsunamis, etc.

1 Like

Tornado warning? Don’t we call them Tropical Cyclones in Australia?

you’re thinking of hurricanes

tornados form on land whereas cyclones/hurricanes form out at sea

7 Likes

Not possible. In this instance I believe an alert tone was justified, even if most of the audience isn’t in danger. Getting just one affected person’s attention and potentially saving their life is worth annoying another 99.

4 Likes

The tornado warning with SEWS could have been aired in place of an ad break in the affected market only, as is done already whenever a Cyclone warning with SEWS is issued.

Emergency Management Queensland’s Standard Emergency Warning Signal manual does specifically say:
“The audio signal will only be used:
• To alert listeners/viewers of radio/television, or where appropriate by other means, that an
official announcement is about to be made concerning an actual or potential major
emergency/disaster likely to affect them”

For the vast majority of viewers, it was not going to affect them.

Either way though, I do tend to agree with you that it was very justified to air it in order to get the attention of the people in the affected area.

2 Likes