Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Different voiceover being used for Angie this Saturday/Sunday

2 Likes

6 Likes

Gold Coast News tonight

2 Likes

Seven’s Afternoon News Perth with Amelia Broun

Seven News Perth will have a local bulletin live tonight at 10pm.

4 Likes

“Being there matters”

Today’s promo for Brisbane

Local afternoon news

1 Like

A look at the Melbourne set from the newsroom

17 Likes

The set looks much bigger in that shot.

3 Likes

Goes to show how much more they could be doing with the space. Even just some big wide opening shots showing off the whole set/studio would help create a bit of variety rather than the standard tight shot of the desk that they use every single night…maybe they are limited by their camera equipment?

3 Likes

That black curtain was open for the 4PM newsroom shots this afternoon showing the news set in the background.

6 Likes

JUST MAKE THE SET OVERLOOK THE NEWSROOM!!!

1 Like

If they had the national news broadcasted from HSV, then by all means. But, IMO, a local skyline is a much more suitable backdrop for the 6pm bulletin than a newsroom IMO (even though all networks have had the newsroom at some point)>

2 Likes

Mike Smithson version

4 Likes

Weather from Paul Burt on Seven’s Afternoon News from Gold Coast Pet Expo :roll_eyes:

imageimageimage

2 Likes

On the GC for the night and have just watched the openers of 7 and 9 GC local news.
Have to say 7 is better by far. Appears more modern and better paced. 9 seems sluggish- Bruce Paige looks and sounds like he’s about to nod off at the news desk!

1 Like

I wish he’d sit upright. He’s always on a freaking lean to his left!!

2 Likes

Is there anything you dislike about Seven/like about Nine? Of course you’re more than entitled to your own personal opinion and to express any reasonable viewpoints (regardless of whether I agree or not), just thought I’d point out a common theme I’ve noticed across quite a lot of your posts.

And just in case you were wondering, I personally think the Gold Coast News strategies for both Seven and Nine need a major rethink. Some of the many questions that come to mind…

*Why 5.30pm instead of 6pm?
*Why only local news rather than the local/state/national/international content as seen in every metro market and many regional areas?
*Why are the co-readers on both networks an older man and a female who looks almost old enough to be his daughter? Regardless of whether they’re older or younger, wouldn’t it be better to have two co-presenters of a similar age?
*Should the Sports segment be as long as it is in a market which is probably more interested in things like entertainment news?
*At how much of a disadvantage is Seven by not having the 5.30pm bulletin available on the HD channel (regardless of whether or not it actually goes to air in HD)?
*Why doesn’t Nine have a live backdrop of the Gold Coast behind their presenters? IMO, the Gold Coast is a market where live backdrops of the city are absolutely essential IMO!

Although on a positive note, I will say that the weather report with Paul Burt (who’s presentation style works fantastically up there, probably one of the few markets in Australia that it would) on Seven and the Fishing/Surfing/Beach reports are pretty much on point for the Gold Coast. Oh, and the reporters are fine. That’s about it.

3 Likes

I’ll take a guess. Forgive me for being presumptuous or if I sound glib, I’m just a curious Yankee.

A half-hour locally focused broadcast can be done at minimal cost and workload to the Brisbane production and playout crew, maybe plus 1 or 2 over there. Gold Coast-wise, keep facility costs down and hire a couple of reporters and a couple more photographers to do two stories a day and have everything sent up to a remote computer or something. Bruce and Rod could be had for part-time and the networks could still have enough in their pay cap for a second, lesser-experienced anchor to keep up appearances that their bulletin is a fully-resourced one.

Even as GC is still quickly growing, it still doesn’t have enough of an audience to warrant putting in a full control room with staff, a full fleet of reporters and up-to-date equipment and upping a lease on another hundred square meters of space. This is especially the case considering the proximity to a home base operation with a larger geographical mandate.

I find the lack of dedicated entertainment news programming in Australia to be a little shocking — tabloid journalism seems to have superseded here. However, what role a local newscast can contribute to that — be it an arts reporter reviewing shows, compiling a minute segment on movies or keeping a photog staked out for celebs (a terrible use of resource for a small operation) — may be minuscule at best. As to why sport gets stacked heavily, crews can get more of their own footage easily with the typical vox from athletes featuring stations’ mic flags.

For scale, there were approx. 215,600 households in Gold Coast City in 2016. If every one of them had a TV, it would be comparable to the market size of Bakersfield, California: rank 126 of 210 in the US.

1 Like

Plenty of things I think 7 gets wrong and others 9 does well, but in terms of news/public affairs I guess my preference of style is that of 7.
I agree with your point about the mismatch of ages between the hosts on both 7 and 9 GC news, however, again it’s more noticeable on 9 because Bruce appears tired and lethargic sitting next to Eva who is so fresh faced, smiling and sitting up straight.

A couple of outtakes from Perth:

Drowned out by a truck horn:

Swearing:

8 Likes