Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

That is an EXCELLENT promo that should definitely be brought back!

It wouldn’t really work today.

Sourcing international news is a lot easier with the introduction of the Internet. Networks like to focus on the local factor these days.

Plus not everyone knows who Hoda Kotb is, getting her to say they turn to 7 when news breaks in Australia doesn’t mean much to the average viewer.

1 Like

I’m not sure if those “The World Turns to Seven News” promos even worked back in 1996, against Nine’s very strong personality-centric “Who’s Who Of News” campaign of the same time.

2 Likes

Gold Coast Bulletin is running a story (behind paywall) today saying that “Channel 7 has quashed rumours it’s set to scrap its 5.30pm nightly Gold Coast news bulletin”. It also mentions a recent week (6-12 May) where Seven’s local bulletin beat Nine’s.

2 Likes

Melbourne ‘Breaking News’ opener tonight

9 Likes

Is it still breaking news if they already have a reporter on the scene?

5 Likes

IMO if they want to have a crack at Nine’s audience, then they should try and replace the Brisbane bulletin with a GC bulletin presented by Rod Young on weeknights at six o’clock (I know I used to go against this idea, but if Seven’s really desperate to win…), rather than being a copycat and do what Nine does.

2 Likes

I personally think the Gold Coast deserves (and will probably need, at some point in the future) metro-grade 6pm news services from both Seven & Nine with local, state, national & international content all in the one package.

Although from a technical perspective, that might not be possible at the moment because Seven probably play out the 5.30pm Gold Coast and 6pm Brisbane/South East Queensland bulletins from the same control room like Nine does.

2 Likes

What a ripoff nines set! Very similar features!

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

And yet it looks so much better than 7 Sydney.

And the other networks have never copied what each other does? :thinking:

2 Likes

Let’s not forget that Nine’s old set drew plenty of inspiration from Seven’s sets at the time as well.

You could also argue that Nine’s curved screen is a copy of the effect that Seven tried to achieve with their three plasma arrangement on the old Sydney/Melbourne set (just a bit ahead of their time perhaps).

6 Likes

Seven also had their curved Rio Olympics set. Granted, it was a curved set with a mixture of a straight screen and/or CGI behind it but still.

3 Likes

The Rio set had a proper curved LED wall -

1 Like

My bad. Then what a shame they haven’t used it on-air since.

1 Like

I love Melbourne’s desk. The curves and the graphics on it are great.

Their supers neet a lot of work though.

“MAN STABBED AFTER CONFRONTING CARJACKER” looks ridiculous, did the producer even check the preview when they put it in?

The breaking news red super doesn’t go with the blue 2nd line text.

In general 7’s graphics are just a mess.

5 Likes

Sky news business studio has to be the best in Australia ,I really wish all 3 major networks would look outside the square as Sky did.

It really isn’t. The desk is ugly and too small, to name just one thing.

2 Likes