Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Tonight’s live cross on Seven Perth

Same promo shot again at Windsor Castle this time:

11 Likes

Gosh that set is hideous.

9 Likes

Is it bad because you know it’s fake or is it the design itself? If the set was real and the exact same design, would it receive the same criticism? In my opinion, it’s not the worst design for a set in terms of depth, colour, overall shape, size of screen. It’s certainly not perfect. The ‘padded cell’ ceiling is odd looking and it’s quite dark in some areas.

I’d like to know other member’s honest opinions.

2 Likes

It’s only saving grace is that they use quite a nice backdrop image. The rest of the elements would be okay if they were real (albeit they’re quite dated - something I’d expect to see 10 or 15 years ago) but they really aren’t the best.

3 Likes

If they built a real set using this design then it would still look about 20 years behind design trends. The bulky roof is hideous and looks like something you’d see from a construction site.

They would be better off building something like Sydney or their Olympics set.

3 Likes

Yeah no it’s pretty bad. The backdrop is a hideous mixmatch of purple, light blue glass and orangey-yellows which really comes together to give off a brown, dirty look. Then you have red, black and grey on the ceilings with a very unusual early 2000s padded cell effect. Yuck. To top it off, you have the presenters sitting behind a massive desk, making them look like little minatures.

Sorry, it’s all wrong. There are examples of far better virtual set design. Look at ITV News in the UK.

4 Likes

Not just yet!

13 Likes

Some presentation elements on Seven News Perth tonight. Today tonight coming later.

Today Tonight:

Live cross with (new?) transition:

9 Likes

The presenters are the only redeeming feature of the bulletin.

3 Likes

It just looks so cartoonish… I still don’t know how that goes to air?

3 Likes

Easily the worst set in Australia.

3 Likes

At least it’s brighter than the Sydney set, which looks like it’s running on emergency power.

1 Like

Absolutely not, Sydney looks great in comparison to most sets in Australia.

2 Likes

Nope

4 Likes

Seven News Sydney tries but there’s still something off about the set.

Each to their own, but I’d personally rate the current sets on Nine or even the ABC higher than what Seven is currently using in the Sydney market. It’s newer than Ten’s Sydney/national news set (which hasn’t changed significantly in years and could probably do with a refresh), but that’s about all you can say.

Fixed that one for you! :wink:

Just… no…

In terms of only Seven sets, IMO the order is:

1. Melbourne (could use less blue)
  2. Adelaide (looks its best in TT mode)
  3. Sydney
  4. Perth
  5. Brisbane & Gold Coast (even fifth)
  6. RQLD

Out of Seven, Nine and Ten, Nine’s current sets are superior for design and versatility of presentation.

The SBS World News set looks rather nice, clean and simple. ABC’s main news sets are reasonable, but in need of an update.

2 Likes

Seven Melbourne spent over 700k on their set.

3 Likes

Too much blue

1 Like

I’ve learnt over the years here, that I’ll clearly be in the minority, but I really couldn’t give a toss about the sets/graphics.

For me it always comes down to just a ‘holistic feel’ of a bulletin, majority of which comes down to the presenter, content and its arrangement.

I get my news from Ten at 5pm (first). If I’m not home in time, Seven at 6pm. Also 3AW or ABC radio :+1:

3 Likes