Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Each to their own but it’s not a great design IMO.

Knowing what the news service has been like in the last 18-24 months, I actually doubt Seven News Sydney would’ve even gotten a new set in February 2016 if it wasn’t for Sunrise’s relaunch at the time.

Interesting fact: Mark Ferguson has now been reading Seven News Sydney for a longer amount of time than his predecessor Chris Bath (oh how I miss those days) was allowed and for longer the amount of time Fergo was allowed to lead Nine’s 6pm bulletin for.

Make of that what you will…

2 Likes

Totally agree with you. @Nicholas @pelican @SEQTelevision @SydneyCityTV are totally blind to how good it is. They just want something better and can’t be happy with the great set they have. At least they don’t have to deal with the train wreck of a virtual set that Seven Perth has that isn’t even real!!

We already have something better and its on Channel Nine :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

In Brisbane tonight, Max Futcher anchored live from Anzac Square. Sharyn read the rest of the day’s news in-studio.

2 Likes

Good!! Stay on your Nine and I’ll stay on Seven :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Brisbane tonight

GM of BTQ and 7 QLD featured

5 Likes

Besides the Seven News and Breaking News image on the desk, this is the first time that I’ve seen Melbourne use a special image on the desk since getting the new set.

and a better look at it

6 Likes

That actually looks really, surprisingly good!! I love it!!

Knowing that they’re currently #2 in the market, I think most Sydneysiders want something better from Seven News. Not just when it comes to the set & graphics (which are mostly below par compared to what Nine are using), but also as far as the content & presenters/reporters are concerned.

4 Likes

They Sydney set could look great with a few tweaks. New side panels, seamless screen on the front of the desk, a better weather area etc.

I like the concept and the fact that we see much more of the studio than we ever used to but it’s let down by the details.

5 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Sydneysiders are just spoilt and have their expectations too high, not knowing how lucky they are to have a great set, presenters and story style which certain other markets don’t have…

I think because it is a multi-purpose set/studio is why they set is different panels stuck together. The core design is nice (the desk and the indented large plasma).

I still don’t understand why they can’t use one of Sunrise’s videowalls for the weather. Set it up on the LHS of the desk, would be really simple.

3 Likes

While I probably agree that Sydney is lucky to have generally higher quality TV news services than most other markets…

With the exception of David Brown (who IMO, is better than the weather presenters on Nine & Ten but probably still not quite as good as Graham Creed) and maybe Michael Usher, Nine has the better presenters than Seven in the Sydney market IMO.

There have been a number of instances in recent times where Seven has made questionable content decisions right up to the lead story.

For example, there was one night a while back where the lead story of Seven News Sydney was something like the redevelopment of a train station (IMO, that’s a “segment between sport & weather” story although to be fair, Nine had it about 10 minutes into their bulletin) while Nine News Sydney lead with the possible outbreak of legionnaire’s disease at a city building which is home to a number of government departments.

2 Likes

By story style I mean presentation of the stories sorry, like how they utilise the screen behind the presenter to display images and wording relative to the stories. And I like the layout of the bulletin itself and the fact that it goes for an hour. Don’t get me started on TT, especially in Perth…

Some caps I got today …

5 Likes

I thought Perth may be continuing to get their own local 9:30 news updates after the Commonwealth Games after seeing one on Monday night, the night of the birth of the royal baby. But it turns out it was just for a live update on the royal baby since last night, Perth went back to receiving a national news update at 9:30. Surprisingly, it was presented by Mark Ferguson, doesn’t he normally leave after the 8:30 news update in Sydney like all the other main news presenters around Australia?

I think they should just let Sunrise keep the set to themselves and chuck their news set into the newsroom. Throw in a plasma wall and some vertical plasmas (for national news, use newsroom as backdrop and Martin Place for Sydney backdrop) and there’s your good looking set on the cheap.

Morning News is coming out of Melbourne today, with Jacqueline Felgate presenting.

1 Like

They must be trying to build Jacqueline Felgates profile up - to a national audience?

1 Like

Bit of a rant and I don’t like demeaning presenters but she needs to get some better presenting skills before she goes national. In fact I think the whole pool of Melbourne presenters need better presenting skills because they read the stories as if the viewers are stupid.

3 Likes