Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Seven News Investigates – The Beaumont Children: What Really Happened

Wednesday at 9.00pm

It remains to this day the most infamous cold case in the country’s history.

On Australia Day 1966, nine-year-old Jane Beaumont, her sister Arnna, seven, and brother Grant, four, left their home in Adelaide’s Somerton Park for the short bus ride to Glenelg beach. The day was a scorcher and it was a trip they’d made before. Mother Nancy gave Jane some small change for the bus fares and lunch and farewelled her children. They were due back early that afternoon. But they have never come home.

Despite a massive search and investigation, not one shred of evidence was found to tell of their fate. It was the day Australia lost its innocence. Over the last 52 years, there have been countless theories, suspects and speculation on what happened that day, ranging from the credible to the intriguing and bizarre.

Now, in what criminal experts and former police who worked on the case are describing as the most significant evidence to ever emerge in five decades, the Seven News Investigates team has uncovered a potential gravesite.

The result of a year-long investigation, the possible burial site at a factory in Plympton, near Glenelg, was scanned using state-of-the-art geophysical technology. Results showed a significant anomaly – an area of disturbed earth measuring about a metre wide, two metres long and two metres deep. The size of a grave and now officially a crime scene after Seven News shared findings with police investigators. South Australian police have confirmed they will excavate the site in coming weeks.

Following a comprehensive and painstaking re-investigation led by award-winning journalist Michael Usher and featuring expert analysis from the country’s leading criminologists, new and compelling evidence will name affluent businessman Harry Phipps – the former owner of the Plympton factory – as the Beaumont children’s suspected killer.

Chilling new details will emerge from exclusive, first-hand accounts from those closest to the case including Harry Phipps’ son and detectives who investigated at the time. A key witness takes us back to the exact spot at the Plympton site where Phipps ordered he and his brother to dig the grave-sized hole the weekend following the Beaumont’s disappearance. And, the shocking revelation from one of Phipp’s victims.

The last piece in Australia’s most compelling mystery may soon be in place.

2 Likes

Something i’d expect from an NBC affiliate. Not Seven.

Final judgment of the set: OK-ish

Better than the Sydney set, but it seems to be missing…everything. I wanna see some more plasmas in the set for more dynamic presentation shots. I want to see Pete presenting from the weather plasma. I want to see the blue toned down. The set has potential but at the same time I want to see them be original with their set designs.

1 Like

You’re delving into a whole new topic, the point is The Seven Network as a whole doesn’t have as much funds as NBC which has multiple branches such as msnbc, universal etc. so it’s obvious Seven isn’t going to dedicate too much money to sets when if you recall they already have financial problems. Seven still needs to produce local content and all.

I might just add in that sets are very expensive and probably cost more what most people on this website would earn in 2 years (as an assumption)

That’s largely got to do with the company designing the studios e.g Richwood Projects not the Seven Network who only puts forward what they want in terms of weather area etc.

That has got nothing to do with the set it self but rather the people working at seven. So I suggest you go chuck them a message if your so passionate and prove to have so much knowledge of the media!

You’re delving into a whole new topic, the point is The Seven Network as a whole doesn’t have as much funds as NBC which has multiple branches such as msnbc, universal etc. so it’s obvious Seven isn’t going to dedicate too much money to sets when if you recall they already have financial problems. Seven still needs to produce local content and all.

I’m not comparing the Seven Network to NBCUniversal. I’m comparing 7 Melbourne (which would have it’s own news budget relative to the size of the market and the ad revenue that a TV market of 4.7 million brings in) with a TV station affiliate in the US with a market of 4.7 million - Boston, Miami, Atlanta etc. These stations are more often than not not owned by ABC, CBS or NBC - but rather affiliate station groups.

If A TV station in Atlanta or Seattle (makes smaller than MEL) can build amazing kick ass sets - why can’t Melbourne?

And what about markets like Little Rock, Dayton tor Sacramento - markets with under a million people - they all have sets so much better than this. These stations serve markets under 1 million (7 MEL is 4.7 million) not only that, but most local stations in the US get shares around 6-8% (V 7 MEL 20% share) because market fragmentation is so big in the US. So if these stations broadcast to markets smaller than Melbourne, and get shares and ratings even smaller again, where do they find the funds? These local stations also pump out local morning shows, local news at 11 7 nights a week.

If these small stations can find the funds - so can 7 Melbourne.

I might just add in that sets are very expensive and probably cost more what most people on this website would earn in 2 years (as an assumption)

Sets are not cheap. But for a set that sees 12 hours of air time a week and stays on air for 5 years - the cost is easy justified. A killer set is about 500k. I’;m guessing this one at 7 MEL cost well under 200, maybe even 150

1 Like

Are you saying there’s a LED bulkhead feature above the set? If so I hope we see it. A shame if they aren’t showing the full set off in its glory if it does exist!
I’m hoping for a wide shot fly-in to the set at the start tonight and not a static shot :crossed_fingers:t2:

Is it possible that sets are cheaper in the US because of the amount of work compared to the very infrequent need in Australia?

3 Likes

From a promo for a Peter Mitchell special report tonight.

5 Likes

Afternoon news in Melbourne is using the Yarra River live shot with angled blue sliders to the right of the set.

They have changed the intro order as well. Title card to studio and then introduction to the headlines. Introduction to headlines is “It’s 4 oclock these are the headlines making news right now”
Field footage appears to be in HD on some stories.

8 Likes

Much better backdrop for the Afternoon News.

9 Likes

Today’s Afternoon News in Melbourne. Includes weather preview blooper at 50:30 leading to Jane Bunn giggling in the background before saying “sorry guys”.

17 Likes

Also something wrong with the weather graphics…

1 Like

Brisbane afternoon

4 Likes

Some caps from the Afternoon News in Melbourne today:

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h25m58s384 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h26m05s780
vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h27m06s802 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h27m13s774

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h28m10s812 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h27m34s425

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h28m34s863 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h28m44s938

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h30m06s448 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h30m55s475

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h31m20s969 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h31m38s005

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h29m19s290

Includes some caps of bloopers during the bulletin:

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h26m20s638 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h26m27s225

Weather graphics fail:

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h31m03s773 vlcsnap-2018-01-29-17h31m10s695

7 Likes

Just a minimal slow track in for the opener tonight. Shame we aren’t getting a wider shot?
I’m hoping it’s only due to the gremlins they had this afternoon, but no date on the desk tonight which is a shame…

11 Likes

Main presentation area looks like a modern uptake on the Nine News Brisbane set from the mid 2000’s.

23 Likes

Yes it’s not what I had hopped for, but I’m liking it more. Some people maybe dissing it, but it’s easily the best Seven News Set in the county.

It’s better than anything Ten and the ABC have.

5 Likes

Bring back the date!!! That looked so much better last night!!

10 Likes

Monday night opener:

6 Likes

Melbourne added a fuelwatch segment to the finance report in the bulletin tonight, bringing it into line with other states.

vlcsnap-2018-01-29-19h47m41s847vlcsnap-2018-01-29-19h47m50s125

6 Likes