Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Seven News looks outdated, graphic wise. Time for an update.

11 Likes

Hey SydneyOnAirTV, it’s been a while! :slight_smile:

Personally I think the graphics and On-Air Presentation of Seven News has improved very slightly over the last 12 months or so, but it’s still fairly average overall. The background & OTS plasma graphics used for Sydney Sport are definitely some of the poorer on-screen elements currently in use IMO, especially compared to what Nine does.

Although improving the quality of the content and retaining quality talent (especially here in Sydney, where Seven have lost some of their biggest names in recent times) probably should be a bigger priority for the news service right now.

8 Likes

It was so glaringly obvious that today’s 5PM ‘national’ bulletin was made for Perth only with the increased local Perth stories covered in the bulletin and mention of actual suburbs focussed in these stories, mentioning more Perth stories and emphasising Perth’s weather tomorrow more than any other capital. I don’t know why on days like today when only Perth sees the ‘national’ 5PM bulletin, they don’t just present it from Perth and save the Martin Place headquarters the hassle. Mind you they do a better job of the news than Perth does any day of the week so I’m not complaining; it was just an observation and question…

4 Likes

Feels like this has been the general Media Spy sentiment since that dreadful 2011 relaunch.

9 Likes

Personally, I hope 2018 will bring a change of management and the “Ushering in” (pardon the pun) of a new lead presenter for Sydney’s Seven News.

Realistically, I’m expecting to see very occasional glimmers of potential but mostly disappointment in the news service - just as the case has been every year this decade.

6 Likes

They really should’ve kept the 2010 graphics refresh till last year and tried something different.

Realistically though, I can see Seven News Sydney becoming better and improving in quality. But sadly you don’t always get good ratings even though your product is competitive. Case in point, Seven News Sydney ratings 2000-2003 (an era which Seven really shone IMO).

5 Likes

:joy::joy:
Very true…

2 Likes

Both 5PM bulletins this weekend started with the weather included in the ticker at the bottom of the screen which believe it or not was still showing local Sydney weather only before the control room must have realised this several minutes into the bulletin and removed the weather from the ticker altogether…

3 Likes

I like the ticker on the national/afternoon bulletins; it differentiates it from the main 6PM bulletin in my opinion and allows you to get the news quick if a story you may have wanted to hear about has already been shown.

1 Like

This was just featured in Perth’s ‘Next at 6:00’ update in the final chase when they go to the news headlines…

Edit: Sam Jolly did a pre-weather bit earlier in the bulletin too and thank heavens she wasn’t in that awful virtual set she has been in before in this scenario; she was in front of the same screen as in the above picture and that she uses to present the main weather segment at the end of the news. She should really have been here from the start for these segments.

I think it’s best that we continue the discussion in this thread.

I probably wouldn’t go as far as sacking the entire news department because like all newsrooms, Seven News Sydney has their share of good and bad people.

However, I do think that the quality of the content is greatly affected by Seven having national & Sydney news directors who have a history with Today Tonight and talkback radio respectively. Similar deal with Nine News Queensland and their former ACA reporter as a news director, but that’s for another topic.

I don’t think anyone’s disputing the fact that Seven has been the #1 network since 2007.

However, I’d probably say that the news/current affairs department has been losing it’s way in recent years particularly in the Sydney market.

The people that bang on about Seven News Sydney & Melbourne though, like they still rate well, many programs would love the figures they get.

It’s just the margin with Nine News.

Seven have made ground the past 24 months however.

Look at Ten News :joy: It is sad.

2 Likes

I do have to admit, I have started to watch Nine News Adelaide more frequently since their set upgrade. But I do also try to still watch parts of Today Tonight Adelaide even though it overlaps with the last half hour of Nine News as I can’t stand ACA.

1 Like

Same. TBH I still prefer Seven’s bulletin and their presenters over Nine’s but really don’t like their set.

1 Like

I do love the use of the set for TT though, it suits the format very well. For the main news, not so sure.

3 Likes

Sydney’s Afternoon News used the live backdrop on Friday:

Thanks @SamSamTV

2 Likes

Wait doesn’t it usually use the live backdrop?

5 Likes

Yep.

It’s a different angle (and one I personally prefer to the near-identical to Nine News angle used for 6pm) but other than that I’m pretty sure that Sydney’s 4pm bulletin has used a liveshot since Day 1.

3 Likes

Sydney’s 4pm bulletin has always used that angle and the 6pm bulletin use it as well usually throughout the C block.

2 Likes