Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Good promo. Nice to see something that isn’t the usual dramatic house fire or first on for once.

It does really demonstrate the lack of big names they have in their reporter base. Chris Reason and at a stretch Robert Ovadia would be known by viewers. Angie Asimus and Helen Wellings dare I say it who knows them and who cares. Can’t see them pulling together a big exclusive.

2 Likes

Can we focus on the content next time Seven?

Maybe Mr Beige won’t rate so badly if your news isn’t plagued with what happened to Katy Perry last night with her boyfriend or how to save money on bread and butter.

1 Like

Yep, and also how overly blokey they’ve become. It’s a travesty that they are letting people like Rhani Sadler, PJ Madam, Bec Maddern and Chris Bath just walk away from the network rather than fighting to keep them in the newsroom like Nine would.

2 Likes

As much as many of us will probably hate to admit it, Helen Wellings is actually quite experienced in her field of reporting (yes, consumer affairs - but the current target demographic for Seven News Sydney probably loves that stuff) and has been doing it for around three decades. Some of our older Media Spies may even remember her being part of the former ABC-TV consumer affairs show “The Investigators” as far back as 30 years ago+ before jumping ship to Seven around the mid '90s!

Chris Maher (he’s still there, isn’t he?) would be another senior reporter in the Martin Place newsroom who’s been there since the days of Roscoe and possibly even the Sanders/Symonds era, but that’s about it really because Seven News Sydney has lost so many of their best reporters in recent years. The newer ones they have brought in I’m fairly indifferent about TBH.

Of course Nine News Sydney has also had presenter/reporter shuffles (including some major ones) in recent years and there are obvious changes I would make if I was TCN’s News Director but overall, they generally have the stronger and more stable presenting/reporting team compared to Seven News Sydney.

Speaking of Seven News content and promos, their big “Special Report” for last night was something about people riding on the outsides of moving trains…I really wish I was joking there.

Judging by the promos I saw over the weekend (on a fairly heavy rotation too from my observations), it looked very much like something that you’d expect from the old Today Tonight right up to the voiceover guy who did the promos.

Paul Kadak?

2 Likes

Seven breaking into programming in Melbourne with Emily Angwin on QF93 making a emergency landing in Sydney. Not sure if it’s national, but they’re using a national backdrop

1 Like

@SydneyCityTV a while ago you might’ve remembered me mentioning something about Seven having network defects while Nine had plenty of originals (and some from TEN). This is exactly what I mean by Seven continuing to fail ratings. They don’t have any originals on their team to take their news to the No.1 position. Instead, the team is filled with garbage reporters from God knows where and is ruining Seven’s news operations.

In addition, most of the presenters are also network defects, while the originals have left for elsewhere. When you look at Nine for example, you have Mark Burrows, Simon Bouda (both whom have been there for a long time), Damian Ryan, (Yes from TEN but have been at Nine from the 90s), Mike Dalton, Laurie Oakes, Lane Calcutt etc. who are veterans in their regards, compare that to Seven’s Chris Reason, Robert Ovadia, Paul Kadak, Chris Maher…and that’s it. Everyone else is junior and garbage and all the good ones are gone, which makes the news service less credible.

Same could be said about the presenters line-up, but knowing how much roastings I’ve copped from people here on this matter, I think I will keep my lips sealed on this matter for now…

1 Like

Pretty sure Eddy Meyer joined Nine in early 2013 after being made redundant from TEN in late 2012. :wink:

4 Likes

another version of the virtual weather background

12 Likes

The “virtual screen” looks like something from PowerPoint 2007…

17 Likes

They have no clue and its getting worse.

3 Likes

What a fucking joke.

3 Likes

This is what I would see in one of my worst nightmares…

2 Likes

Angie a bit quick to walk off the green screen during tonight’s weather:

(Low quality pic via Twitter video - sorry)

9 Likes

New graphics in endtag for Sydney news promo

7 Likes

Graphics relaunch tonight?

2 Likes

More Scan lines?

1 Like

Reminds me of the 2010 package.

6 Likes

A clearer cap of the slightly updated Promo Endtag for Seven News Sydney:

Despite the graphic reading “Australia’s No.1”, the voiceover from that guy who does the Openers is “Australia’s Most Watched News”.

My guess is that this is probably just yet another tweak to the Promo Endtags.

Seven News’ current graphics aren’t even a year old yet (taking into consideration the tweaks made around mid-July and on August 8), so I doubt a new package is on the way. Although since this is Seven News we’re talking about…

8 Likes

Correct, nothing changed.