Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

I’d love to see some examples. Seen plenty of 9 NEWS but never first on.

The Harbour Bridge bus fire and the North Sydney crane collapse come to mind…they were both early on though so maybe they have got better at it now.

I think Sharyn Ghidella and 7 are setting the standard for measured coverage of the weather situation in SEQ. 9 by comparison is amateur and sensationalist.

2 Likes

Thursday (30.03.17): Seven News Queensland is broadcasting an extended 90-minute bulletin.

1 Like

Does anyone know what time Sharyn Ghidella started anchoring 7’s coverage today?

Around about 10:30am I think.

Think she was on earlier than that. I got home from work around 9.45.

Agreed. Watched a few minutes of Seven this arvo and Ghidella was great.

1 Like

She was outstanding. The window behind her was very distracting though. It looked she was about to be swallowed by giant raindrops.

1 Like

Tonight, I watched a weeknight Seven News Sydney bulletin for the first time in a few weeks so here are a few observations from yours truly.

Firstly, a few snapshots of the Queensland/Northern NSW flood coverage on tonight’s Seven News Sydney including another take on those special “Reporter Graphics” that have been used for a few major news stories now:

Also, it seems that Seven News Sydney has at least one of it’s live cameras of Sydney Harbour in native HD!

They liked this shot so much that it was replayed again for the closer and as far as I can tell, the HD quality remained for that closer replay. I’d still like to see packaged reports and (more) live crosses in HD, but at least it’s something I suppose.

There was also a report played about how much money the NRL is losing as the top sports story (something I doubt Nine News Sydney would do, for obvious reasons) but for all those positives I still have to criticise something about tonight’s Seven News Sydney. The “Special Report” on how to save money on movie tickets IMO, was something at Today Tonight-levels of journalism and a rather poorly disguised ad for the cinema chains and independents who got their few seconds of free(?) advertising.

Probably the only thing that saved this “Special Report” was the appearance of movie critic (among plenty of other roles within the Australian media landscape) Jason “Jabba” Davis:

And yes, I saw David Brown almost calling Michael Usher “Fergo” during the closer. Might have to upload a clip of that! :smiley:

4 Likes

I think we can all agree that the Seven News Sydney standard is getting higher compared to before. As we all know these changes can’t just happen over night, I think they are delivering these changes quite well but there is of course room for improvement.

7 Likes

Couple of things I’ve seen in Brisbane of late that I’ve liked:

• one night they introduced their team of reporters out on location and they were all on screen, then their pic transitioned to become a spot on the map-if that makes sense? Looked very good.
  • the last 2 nights when they have ended the 5-6pm rolling coverage and needed to set up for the 6pm bulletin, they’ve used a countdown clock. Again, I liked it.
    Not sure if anyone captured either of these things…
1 Like

Countdown can be seen here

The reporting team transition here at 1:31

7 Likes

Actually quite good, surprisingly I like it… could come off as tacky.

5 Likes

I like it

1 Like

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Seen today was production music bed over recent images into the latest promo - two examples in this vid:

1 Like

Yeah I noticed this. However the live pictures of the reporters had them all doing that awkward nodding together which looked a bit weird.

The latest “David Brown’s Weather” Promo from Sydney:

Absolutely no prizes for guessing the latest viewer competition for Seven News in this market. :wink:

Information graphic for said competition shown before going to the pre-Sport ad break during tonight’s bulletin:

Also while this isn’t entirely related to Seven News (even though the program is at least partially a production of Seven News Sydney), it might be worth noting that Sydney Weekender is now produced in HD.

I’m not quite sure when the change was made and it appears that only the graphics/Sydney-based stories are in native HD, but I’m pretty sure the program was entirely produced in SD the last I checked. So native HD production is slowly trickling through to Seven Sydney!

3 Likes

I noticed this on Twitter, (I avoid actually watching Seven News). Salim is a train wreck.

1 Like