Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Ah…where would Sydney seriously be without Fergo helming the 6pm chair. :slight_smile:

How bizzare. The lightstrip on the bottom of the riser is now white and the desk lightboxes, red. Do the people at seven think these small tweaks actually make viewers switch over to Seven News? If they really wanted to make a difference, they should upgrade that tiny desk plasma to one that properly fits end to end (of the lightboxes)

Bet Mr. Brown will give them both an F :stuck_out_tongue:

A+ to him, E- to the others.

2 Likes

Some examples of the presenting style that Melbourne has recently started using for some story introductions.

Would be nice if they used the video wall for story introductions too (like in the 4pm news), rather than just for live crosses and weather.

…and a few more caps from this evenings bulletin for your viewing pleasure.

16 Likes

That studio looks really cramped, not to mention how average the presenters are.

I think the new presenting style and the Melbourne set actually look really good.

8 Likes

[quote=“JackMelbTV, post:3382, topic:103”]
Some examples of the presenting style that Melbourne has recently started using for some story introductions.
[/quote]Reminds me of the black and white headline style the ABC sometimes uses.

That white/silver pole really breaks up the visual fluidity of the set. Makes the main set look closed-in and cramped. Would look better if the plasma wall subtly transitions straight to the main set, minus the pole. Or at least halve the size of the pole.

3 Likes

Awful? I quite like Pete and Tim. But maybe not Jane.

Seven News Sydney has been doing those sorts of story graphics for ages, possibly even since one of the graphics changes last year.

Those backdrop graphics are very similar in style to what is used in Sydney, which is interesting given that Melbourne has often gone off in their own direction in the past.

Looks good but the set is certainly starting to show its age.

It would look better with a silver/white bar across the top of the video wall to continue the flow of the set and keep the video wall from looking tacked on.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure those style graphics started when the current Sydney/national set was launched, last year.

I agree :grinning: Would be nice for that to happen with a set refresh while still keeping the same basic layout.

1 Like

Fair points. Still don’t think they are awful but they are quite inferior in comparison to the Nine News Melbourne team.

3 Likes

I prefer the Brisbane and Adelaide sets to Melbourne.

Melbourne looks really retro - 2005 kinda look - does not look contemporary

Well that certainly didn’t last long (thank god), Monday night:

9 Likes

Um, I think it could be argued that Seven News Melbourne have the surperior reporting team, I think more experienced?

Peter Mitchell, Jennifer Keyte, Tim Watson, Nick McCallum, Brendan Donohoe, Laurel Irving, Cameron Baud (both former Ch 10 for many years), Mark Stevens (who was at the Herald Sun for like 15 years prior), Nathan Templeton, Tom Browne, Kate Jones, Brendan Roberts, Michael Scanlan, among the rest - who are also pretty good) :+1:

Nine News Melbourne has the obvious Peter Hitchener being a legend, Tony Jones a veteran, I know Brett McLeod and Alicia Loxley have been there for many years, but the rest (at least in recent years) have all seemed young and IMO not that great, compared to Nine News Sydney especially.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Great to see use of a background OTS for the morning news!
Looks good despite the horrible situation.

2 Likes

Seven Morning News with Ann Sanders started at 11am to cover Melbourne Plane Crash.
Ann as always handling this type of coverage very well with the live crosses and phone interviews with reporters and witnesses.

The extended bulletin ended at 12.30pm.

3 Likes

Peter shouting? if anyone shouts is Alicia Loxley

1 Like