Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Big call. How’s your credentials as a news boss or leader of a station?

2 Likes

No credentials here but it doesn’t take an expert to decide whether or not a leader is effective or not. Just look at how much of a mess Seven is in right now. Mass redundancies, worse financial situation compared to the other networks. Only poor leadership and management would’ve led to that.

1 Like

To me it says Seven is directing its budget back towards the main battle which is 6pm. That’s fair. It’s where the money is. No company in Adelaide, be it local or agency sales, rings their sales manager at Seven and says “get me a package at 4pm!”

Well… no-one with brains anyway!

The battle is at 6 and prime time against 9 and to a lesser extent 10.

Lose some to win some.

3 Likes

Don’t ad slots (more or less) cost the same per 1000
Viewers?

So if 4pm news gets 50,000
And 6pm news gets 100,000

The ad rates at 4 are half price?
So you’re reaching the same amount of people per $ spent (more or less, I know 6pm is “premium”
But in that case you probably pay more to reach less people probably more bang for your buck at 4pm?

@portmacman

It wont be. It will be a national bulletin mainly focused on Victorian and South Australian stories.
I believe the Melbourne Bulletin also broadcasts into Tasmania and NT.

4 Likes

I’ve been able to include yesterday’s Adelaide afternoon ratings numbers in today’s news article including broadcast times.

Program Total
THE CHASE AUSTRALIA-5:30PM 88,000
THE CHASE AUSTRALIA-5PM 54,000
SEVEN NEWS AT 4.30 43,000
SEVEN NEWS AT 4 32,000
NINE’S AFTERNOON NEWS - 5PM 40,000
HOT SEAT -4:30PM 30,000
HOT SEAT -4PM 26,000
3 Likes

So indirectly Nine News is beating Seven but timeslot wise Seven is the winner?

1 Like

Looking at the numbers, you can start to see what Seven are thinking with this change in Adelaide. They have the 4-5pm news timeslot all to themselves and are easily ahead of Nine’s offering of Hot Seat. Even if there is a little blowback from viewers, the impact on the numbers is probably going to be fairly minimal at least in Adelaide. So, in a sense, it’s all Nine’s fault for moving their afternoon news to 5pm.

4 Likes

A local bulletin at 11:30 rather than 4pm would be better use I think. Spreads the local content out.

4 Likes

Think that’s a common line every time Seven fails or does something :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I guess the only excuse they have on the Melbourne side is that they’ve already butchered up the 4pm bulletin (and 6pm bulletin) that they are now really at a point where they can’t do anything. Would require mass funding and better management to really get back on track in Melbourne and heck, even nationally now, looking at the state of things!

1 Like

Very brave, or incredibly stupid, of Seven to pipe Melbourne’s afternoon news into Adelaide considering the amount of ill will directed towards virus plagued Victoria and its scandal ridden Premier following Chairman Dan’s comments regarding S.A. last week. The Adelaide Advertiser and Adelaide radio stations have been having a field day with the backlash against Victoria following the offensive “why would you want to go there?” comment. Nine could get a bump in ratings as a result of this if they decide to capitalise on the ill feeling by heavily promoting the fact their Adelaide 5pm news is “live and local” and Seven’s 4pm news is from those S.A. haters in Melbourne.

5 Likes

Wow. This is extreme.

Apart from the opinion piece on Victoria (NSW still has a much higher infection rate) you do raise good points

2 Likes

Monday will be very interesting if the bulletin out of melbourvw:

• drops Melbourne from VO, opening titles and backdrop
  • becomes just “7 News” or “7 News @ 4” with no city reference
  • puts a generic city backdrop up, or the blue globe used for national
  • content is skewed more to Melbourne
  • content is skewed as a pan regional SA/VIC bulletin
  • content is skewed national and each MEL and ADL will breakaway for local inserts

Either way this is a disappointing development and I hope not a trend. Can’t see how this will save so much money. If all 5 locals went away at 4, I get it. But 1 of 5 going away, when the staff crew and conte t was already there at 4 - can’t see it making a dent at the $100m they need to cut

Maybe it will be an experiment to see if Adelaide and Melbourne ratings drop. And if they don’t, all 5 locals at 4 will be cut

Also, with the phrase Chairman Dan; what civil liberties have you lost? What makes him a ‘chairman’?

3 Likes

I probably wouldn’t have used some of the same words as NewsWeary, but I think he makes a pretty good point about the potential for there to be outrage from Adelaide/SA viewers who’ll soon see a largely Melbourne-centric (not to mention delayed by 30 minutes) 4pm bulletin on their screens.

Had it been the Sydney & Melbourne editions merged (which TBH, I’m actually surprised Seven didn’t do first), we’d never hear the end of viewer complaints from down South about how they have to watch a Sydney-centric 4pm bulletin.

I kind of agree. This would all up be around $400k saved on overheads I guess. I still think this will be temporary until the advertising $$$ pick up. Maybe 6 months.

1 Like

I still think the distinguishing thing about Adelaide is that there is no competition with Nine local news at 5pm.

Interested to see if Nine responds and moves their local news back to 4pm.

always has and they’ve never tried to hide it being the Melbourne bulletin.

Seven don’t own those stations though.